Nature powers should be separated into two different power sets

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Scarletboy, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Scarletboy New Player

I think that they should separate the nature power into two different power sets. The first should be plant control where it's just an expanded version of the already established plant control tree. The next will be animal control or animal abilities. Controlling insects controlling reptiles birds ect... also being able to use animalistic like powers like vixen. Shape shifting into animals will also still be available but definitely update them. Having them combined you kind of lose out on what you can do with plant powers when it's also sharing it tree with animal powers and vis versa they should just be separate.
    • Like x 3
  2. AshocusTheMuse Well-Known Player

I actually agree with this thinking. I always thought that the plant side powers were (For the most part) represented, if a little lacking... but the shapeshifting always felt like plant powers as **insert animal here** None of the actual builds used for Wolf/Ape etc...actually USE animal powers, they spawn the poison DOTs of plants... I say keep Nature as pure plants D.o.T.s and H.o.T.s just not having to faff around with Wolf form and Gorilla form, give them some new plant based abilities like "Saproling Burst" either way, it's simply a case of expanding mechanics they already have, just removing the shape shifting, which will most likely make them much smoother to play and a LOT easier to balance in game...

So... lets go "FOIL TIN HAT TIME" and take a stab at what this would look like...

The Shapeshifting could have abilities with names like "Rending claws" "Feral Roar" "Tear" "Mawl" "Howl" "Savage Bite" "Challenge of the Alpha" "Call of the Wild" "Growl" "Intimidating Stare" "Thrill of the Hunt"... heck... the list goes one... Have as a Tank/DPS role. I *guessing* the reason it keeps being passed over is because the form shifts would be a nightmare for rendering, but perhaps create incentives to stay in each form by making them role specific... E.G. Gorilla and Bear forms are tank forms. don't really have much effect in DPS mode, but in Tank form add damage mitigation, and/or taunts and dominance boosts (since we are throwing out ideas)... While Wolf and Cat would be DPS roles (which you already have in the game, so wouldn't be too much of a stretch)... plus, you could have some real fun with Superchargers... things like T-rex form... For DPS... Just some suggestions... THESE ARE NOT actual things, just ideas...

Have a fun things like that make each Form feel different and fun:...

Cat Form: DPS form... Increase precision based weapon critical hit chance while in this form uses Marshal Arts as it's fighting style... and has a Stealth ability that makes them lose drop aggro and can then strike from stealth ability (similar to Gadgets) making it ideal for scouting an instance. DON'T give it a whole new attack sequence bar, just stealth ability that breaks if you take damage, if they make an attack in stealth adds additional damage, or hold for skill for 3 seconds to break stealth. CAN ONLY BE TAKEN IN DPS STANCE

Wolf Form: DPS/Support Form... Increase might based attacks, while in this form uses Brawler as a Fighting Style... Has Group Buffs that increase damage output for whole group, while allowing a brutal "Bleed" mechanic to take effect. similar to other control effects, would make other attacks from DPS wolf form more effective such as Bite, or Mawl increasing their damage with these attacks. CAN OLNLY BE TAKEN IN DPS STANCE.

Bear Form: TANK form... Weapon based attacks, while using Brawler as fighting style, MASSIVELY Increased Armour in this form. Can use "Bleed" abilities to gain more Armour and cause threat generation. Leans more towrds Single Target Tanking. great for final bosses.

Gorilla Form: SUPPORT TANK form... Might Based Attacks, While using Gorilla attacks that currently exist. MASSIVELY Increased armour in this form, as with Bear form... no need to over complicate that mechanic. Leans more towards AoE tanking, Great for trash mobs, and crowd control.

Generic attacks: Bite, Claw, Rend (Causes bleed and reduces armour), Mawl, Growl (Small damage that reduces incoming damage, in tank form Taunts), Lick wounds (Self heal)

DPS Attacks: Howl (Wolf Group Damage buff), Savagery (Self Damage Buff), Primal Instincts (Supercharge), Stealth and Pounce (Cat Form Stealth ability), Go for the throat (Finisher, increased if target has "Bleeding"), Stomp (AoE Damage), Thrill of the hunt (Self buff), Scratch (Causes Bleed)

TANK Attacks/Abilities: Growl (taunt), Challenge of the Alpha (AoE Taunt and Group pull), Swipe (Bear), Grapple (Gorilla) Swipe (causes Bleed)

Anyway... I went down a rabit hole I wasnt expecting LOL... but it was a fun journey...
    • Like x 1
  3. Drathmor Unwavering Player

they should do several things to nature and there not what you listed
    one being make the form changes go back to not being super charges..

and also a easy fix to make it more on par with other powers setup speed wise.

pheromones' and poison's are in the air so there is no reason we need a spread move. a refresher sure thats fine but there should be no reason to spread them. they should already spread on their own.

that one spread change will instantly speed up the power and make it more viable in hallways
    • Like x 2
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The Nature powerset is inspired by the Druid archetype from other games. Druid spells are almost always going to be a mix of plant and animal abilities and shape shifting. It's a classic.
    • Like x 3
  5. AshocusTheMuse Well-Known Player

Oh I do understand their thinking and respect it too, but in the DC environment its hard to be immersive playing a wolf or gorilla while using plant abilities instead of attacking n a feral manner that's all I was getting at. I just feel that most of the superheroes and villains for that matter that shapeshit ONLY shapeshift, they don't do plants as well. Look at Beastboy as a good example. Other people considered shapeshifters like Plastic man, or Clayface while not shifting into animals, are still solely based in just that... shapeshifting. manipulating their body into different things.

Yes, Martian Manhunter has other powers other than shapeshifting, but those are more along the lines of Mental abilities of Telepathy and phasing through objects. But Those who are typically plant based E.G. Swamp thing, Poison Ivy, Blackbriar Thorn, Teff Helland ETC... they are all solely plant based.

It's more of an immersion issue rather than a staple of gaming powers... If that makes sense.

The only reason I felt it COULD be done is these mechanics already basically exist in game. Some would just be a simple reskin, others. but it would make it a much more interesting approach PLUS means they get to add a new power, something that can bring a bit of life back into the game, would interest new players (the lifeblood of any game) AND adds more diversity tothe overall playing experince
    • Like x 1
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Well it makes sense in the fact that we're infected with exobytes and thus carry more than just one iconic hero or villains powers inside us. So from that perspective it makes sense you have not only Beast Boy's shape shifting but Poison Ivy's plant manipulation, etc etc
    • Like x 4