My point of view right now of dcuo. (Trying to help).

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by darkscarletx, Dec 22, 2016.

1. darkscarletx Loyal Player

So, after being in a break of a year, i played other games, opened my view about how mmos out there work and when i came back to dcuo, i saw it differently now. Dcuo was my first mmo too but i play more now.

After queuing for ``The Prime Battleground`` at 80cr. Which is around 70-90 for the rewards right?
    But as we enter, we get one shot in a second. Now I don't understand why we can get one shot when we are in the cr relevancy. But it just made it clear to me that how the game was design and let like that, it oblige group to have a high cr to complete. I even said we have a tank and healer, he can pull and our healer heal but no matter we get one shot. A 180cr cleared it alone but I don't get it. They don't give a chance to have a complete raid and at 80cr, i shouldn't be 1 shot by those electric vines. Why the developpers did that? I don't ask for a high cr to carry me but the game give us no choice or it is impossible. I don't get it? I'm sorry it was brought up a lot but as i played other mmos, I will never understand the mentally, it is impossible and people will still blame the new players that they have to carry them but it is how it is made.

I know we have also lfg but 8 players at 80-90cr? Can it be done? Because you get one shot..

Anyway, just wanted to point that out. It was normal to me before but it is not now.
    I will probably get hated to think like that. I know high players like to feel powerful but a hero/villain, having powers, fly, run fast, you are powerful already. It should be enough isn't it?

I kinda hope the game can change for the better and this high cr mentally stop one day. I love the game and see lots of potential.

I'm just trying to help the game too. Anyway, merry xmas everyone and happy holidays.

P.S. Not whinning or complaining, just an observation.
    • Like x 2
  2. Phokus Active Player

Prime battleground is the end of the first chapter of DCUO
    It was designed to be hard for the players in the suggested cr range
    • Like x 1
  3. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

From what I hear it was meant to be a really difficult raid at level pretty much requiring a two tanks, two healers, two trolls and two DPS. Although it would be interesting to see a full group of 180+ remove enough gear to be at level in those raids to see how well they can do at level now.
  4. Delta796th Loyal Player

PBR was generally the hardest of all the T4 raids, most groups would not take people in below 84 (ish) CR when it was still relevant content. A couple things I think you are missing in your statement..

1) Back then we generally used 2 healers, and it was still a difficult raid so I'd guess you likely still need that. 2) The electric whips, vines or whatever you want to call them ALWAYS hit that hard. You have to actively avoid being in them. 3) Yes, you can still complete this raid at CR...At the time it 89CR was max and we got thru just fine.
    • Like x 3
  5. darkscarletx Loyal Player

I see, I will try it at 89cr with full group.
  6. JasonIsley Devoted Player

If I remember correctly, you're supposed to navigate around the tentacles. Versus just cutting through the middle and getting 1-shot during the cutscene. Anyone care to experiment?
    • Like x 1
  7. Delta796th Loyal Player

The biggest problem in doing that test is that at 89CR (highest at the time) we were not nearly as strong as 89CR people today.

There was NO WM, NO AM, NO powerback mechanics or anything like this. Today you would likely go in w/ 1 Tank 2 Heals 1 Troll 4 DPS and easily get the speed feat.

I was in a group that did exactly this quite a while ago and went thru DOX and Nexus which were as hard, if not harder raids then PBR was. AM's hit like a mack truck compared to what we used to do, plus with the way power is now you easily remove 1 controller and add more burn. It wouldn't be a cake walk, but still pretty manageable. Again I point out that back when at CR many people were getting the feats in there.
    • Like x 6
  8. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Yep. It was supposed to be hard. People were going to go down no matter what, and the group had to scramble into a coordinated effort to revive allies. Avatar of Meta was the first test, as it'd pull two allies and pretty much kill one of them every time. Meta was the one you saved those supercharges for, and if you made it past, had to turn up the burn for Braniac 9000 and keep him from healing. A lot of that is ignored now, but when players do get into a CR relevant group, suddenly they're in a hurt locker. Skills they would normally have picked up on aren't typically present, and players just don't see it coming. Was made even worse when the AMs were added, because all the content prior to T6 wasn't designed for it, so much of it can still seem easier than it should have when the group is at-level.

We'll see how the stats revamp goes. If it can nail down functionality in an effective manner, then it could bring a good measure of that challenge factor back. Still entirely possible that there'll be room for OP players to 10-shot a boss to death as opposed to the current one shots. Not that cheapo one-shots are ever fun, but when there are approptiate tells that have less chance to be bungled by server latency, historically they've been ok. They're understood as things to watch out for, and people would communicate messaging (like Atrocitus' shoulder charge combos, etc). That's a good example. A bad example would be a random jumbo boss turns around in one frame, eye beams you with a hitscan attack across the map and you're down before you could block/roll/cry medic.

An issue we currently have with AMs is that they are mostly locking players into animation chains that aren't easily stopped so players can take evasive action. Some are more flexible than others. Couple that with the problem of back loading the meaningful damage at the tail end of an AM power chain, and the power regeneration effect being cancelled if interrupted, and you can end up without power, without a way to do the intended meaningful damage, and with a black eye for having been interrupted by a fast hitting freight train that nobody got the tags of. (Or just dead)

With gameplay returning to a sequence of individual actions that are less punishing for breaks in between them, players may begin to get back to picking up on some of those long lost survival skills.

Maybe.
    • Like x 2
  9. Gimpy Loyal Player

1 shot upon entering, I agree with you, it's the tentacles and 1 person is going to far into the area starting the fight before everyone has moved away from the portal area.

Even for end game CR they do all kinds of damage to a player.
    • Like x 1
  10. Emoney Dedicated Player

Starting the raid is tricky. Everyone should group up close to the main arena circle....but stay in the rocky area until everyone is ready, then cross into the arena area. If one person flys in and starts it.....then everyone else has to cross through the tentacles just to get in the arena area.....and at level they are a 1-2 shot.
    • Like x 3
  11. darkscarletx Loyal Player

Thanks for the tip. Sadly some will start too soon and everyone die at the beginning. People have to know to be in the middle, i never knew it and i play for 3 years. lol
  12. darkscarletx Loyal Player

I hope as well stat matter will make this better for all players. New and end game alike.
  13. Delta796th Loyal Player

Yup, we used to wait at the rocks right before entering the circle.
    Otherwise it can be a bit messy for lower levels

I believe this video was at level.
    • Like x 1
  14. SparkmanX Committed Player

I really appreciate your comment, because, since I returned to DCUO I have observed the same thing and even thought that I was the only one who saw it. The level of combat required or "suggested" does not seem to go according to the content, this is not only seen in raids, I also saw it in solitary content and duos. When I mentioned this observation to other players, they suggest that I bring pets and other resources that give you their lair, which leads me to think that the suggested combat rating applies only if they come well equipped.

Just a couple of nights ago, I entered a raid called: unholly matrimony, and by God that was a massacre. The players entered with the combat rating suggested by the game and no matter how hard they tried, no one could pass even the first hall full of demons, all of them killed us with a single blow. Then players entered with a level of combat more advanced (which do not receive marks) and managed to reach the second boss. However, that was the end of all, since no one could pass that boss. At the end they played 50 people before I left and none managed to pass that second boss, since no one had any idea what had to be done and the players died with a single shot.

Several video commentators on Youtube insist that these instances are very easy; I think maybe they are if you enter with your faithful league dedicated to the game (not all have an active league) or a lot of players well equipped and who know what to do, which brings me to the next point:

1. The problem is not only a matter of Combat Rating, but there is little information for players who do not use the forum or seek advice from other players. Just last night, I managed to pass the Unholly Raid Matrimony, since a level 190 player took the time to explain to the group what had to be done. I tried to find information on youtube and the only thing that comes up the so-called "guru" of the game, are videos that explain absolutely nothing. This criticism about the information problems when it comes to level up your character and for new players have been manifested earlier by other players who have been in this game for a longer time than I am.

2. The CR does not really indicate anything. The solos and duos seemed designed for a single type of game: The advanced mechanics of the dps. Not only that, you should also be equipped with the things they give you in your lair and what you can put in your belt. For all those who have not bought any of these things, it will be more complicated to pass these instances.

I, like you, this has been the first MMoRpg I have played (and also the only one) The key in these games seems to be teamwork and communication, however, that is not the experience they receive Many players since not all are part of an active league. Years ago, DCUO had a large and active community, in the forum published guides to help the new in their roles and how to spend the most difficult Raids of the game. Today many of those who once helped me progress in the game are gone. Hopefully with the new changes the devs are making to the game, the community will return to its original brightness and the game will have a more consistent sense of progress.

I hope I did not overstretch, but there was a lot I had to get out.
  15. Emoney Dedicated Player

No problem. There is actually a mound of rocks about ten feet from the arena circle....most people run over to that and stand on it till everyone gets there. Just remember, one lil step on that arena platform and the cutscene starts....followed by the tentacles, so ya gotta be careful. Also, it is pretty soloable after 120ish CR.
    • Like x 1
  16. BumblingB I got better.

I hated Prime. It was subject to RNG for difficulty. You could go in with the same group and get super easy adds and boss orders and breeze through it or you could have the worst luck and end up wiping regularly.

The raid was designed as a survival arena, like FOS3. Then role optional came out before the DLC hit and players ran it w/o a tank and got the speed feat. It was amusing how that worked.

In the end, what makes it hard right now is the CR Differential. CR80 was fine to run the content. Entry was CR70. But a CR70 then and a CR70 now are completely different. And I don't just mean AMs.
    • Like x 1
  17. Derio 15000 Post Club

Back then PBG was the top dog raid. You needed really just 1 tank, 2 healers, 2 trollers, and 3 good dps. When meta brings out his tentacles, run away and fight at range because its deadly even for the tank.

I really would like an updated elite mode of that raid just so players can see how deadly and fun that raid was at level.
    • Like x 3
  18. JasonIsley Devoted Player

I just solo'd it twice last week to help my brother with a couple of feats, even at 184 all those adds can do some damage. Not to mention the constant interrupts and control effects, you can't stop to drink a soder without someone knocking you back.
  19. Voaxghost Well-Known Player

You get one shatted because dumnys rush ahead starting the fight before everyone can into the ring of death.

This Raids been beat with full t2 no home turf / supply drop n Orbital junk.
    • Like x 1
  20. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

The problem with Prime Battleground (as is in most cases but that one has the most annoying "start" which really can set the tone of the run) within CR relevancy is that you have to know the mechanics in order to survive and that map actually has "objectives".

As someone previously stated, your group can get killed if you don't go in at the same exact time (the tentacles will get you) at least those who are within the cr relevancy. In addition you'll need to have a "balanced" group to do this within CR relevancy (you can't win with all dps's if everyone is in relevancy :p) and so you're completely out of luck if you don't have the right roles.

Finally, you need to know when to block, when to move, what to avoid, and that's every single member just not one. Most of the raids that came after A and B (I know its not the raid you mentioned but you'll see my point in a second) had CR differential to go up against which often "trivialized" things even within CR relevancy due to how much stronger are CR was over the NPC's.
    • Like x 1