My personal thoughs on 2023 on DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by sebfm, Dec 21, 2023.

1. sebfm Well-Known Player

Hello everyone,

Just thought it would be a good idea to share my likes, dislikes, hopes and everything about DCUO after 3 years of playing as a paying member.

First of all, I'd like to thank the DCUO team, the community and particularly my ingame friends for the game to be still active and fully alive after 12 years (nearly 13) of life spent. I wish DCUO to live a long and prosper life for many other years.

This list isn't exhaustive, it's just a way to provide my own opinion on another year of play time.

I'll start with what I liked this year :

- Many iconic styles we were asking for were added or render back reachable (Superman anniversary emblem, Fate helmet, Sandstorm of Vengeance, etc).
    - Emotes were incorportated to the game and provide much more customization on how we interact with other players.
    - Death Metal was a real masterpiece to add as a storyline to DCUO. Same for Shock The System and JLD Cursed.
    - The addition of the Noir Comic Chroma Pack to the market place (even if it was, IMHO unfortunately, in a limited time) was a great move.
    - I felt we were a little more listened as players and it felt good to notice.
    - DCUO still is a real good place to socialize and spend time with Comics fans. It became kind of a second home now.
    -New tutorial and styles were more than welcome.

What I disliked this year :

- Communication felt a little erratic and/or missing. Maybe centralizing communications around the various medias would help us in understanding what's happening without needing to read forum, twitter account, launcher infos, contact support, etc. We should have fast and easy way to see what is happening.
    - Updates bacame harder this year (on EU PC/PS, we got a rough reboot at 02:00 AM once and few hours downtime for an update without further info). Also, when updates occur, we got few hours before and after the reboot some issues (lag spikes, disconnections, crashes, inoperant voice chat). It felt rather annoying, just hopping it won't become a routine.
    - Some content were quite neglected such as continuity in storyline (why did we help Black Adam in resurrecting Isis while Source Wall was broken and Batman Who Laugh became the One Who Laugh?/ What happened after Chemo arrival in Dakota and what happened to Darkseid's plan on Bang Babies? Why the Cemetary of JLD Cursed is at the same location as the Botanical Garden in open world Gotham?), some event ( Survival Mode for example). It felt like story telling and adventure was sacrified for fast action which seems quite rough on a MMO RPG (for example, I loved the way Metal Part 1 and 2 kept continuing during BoP and Wonderverse before Death Metal, felt like a whole narrative arc was starting).
    - Materials/styles linked to an episode content shouldn't be on a limited time Booster Bundle. They should be inside the episode or in a capsule (for example, Ghostly Miasma, Ethereal, Cursed Visage).

What I hope for next years :

- still more styles that were long term asked (Superman and Batman slimlines, slimlines with big emblems, Batman 89 emblem, etc).
    - I'd love to see a synergy between allies and legends. Why not providing the character as a legends character when fully leveled? (they basically have an attack pattern as they appear ingame).
    - Why not allowing Legends characters to be bought by free to play/premium players? As a paying member, I don't mind if grinding allow a free to play player to get the same as me when I pay.
    - Why not adding most of the buyable stuff in market place on Doctor fate vendor (even at excessive prices), in order to at least give us the feeling of choice between paying or grinding (we all know there are players, like me, who are not patient enough not to pay).
    - Vendors in HoL seem to me under-used. For example, Cheetah could have all deco we already got in each episode, even rare or unique ones, same for Cyborg who could have even the Capsule allies, even at an excessive price), same for Plastic Man, emotes should be added to the emote vendor regularly, same for the pet vendor who sells trinkets that are not account bound.
    -Please, give us more continuity between episodes, make our actions count in DCUO storyline (why helping a NPC do something if next episode doesn't care at all about what we did in the previous episode?)
    - Please, I am dreaming of a huge map (even cutted in small instances) where we could travel through bridges, boats, beach, ... to iconic locations (Gotham, Metropolis, Smallville, Central City, Star City, Coast City, Dakota, Themyscira, Oblivion Bar, etc) and where we could settle our bases and spend time chilling and discovering the expanding world.
    -Please, add instances entrances on maps (for example, duo entrance near the metro station in Dakota or alert entrance near MTC building). It would provide more immersion and would allow to add more challenge to players who want to do the instances as a solo or as a duo for fun or for RP matter.
    -Please, allow us to buy gift cards for other players (I'd love to pay some DBC as a gift for my league mate but I'm not ultra fan of providing my debit card info to anyone in a not secure way) or allow us to buy something to send it as a gift to someone we know on the market place (no matter the plateform, please, as I'm on PC and basically don't care if my league mates are on PC or PS.
    - Please, provide PVP aappeal by allowing it to drop some funny consumable to use either in duels, or in instances or anything).
    - Would love to see a secondary mentor system where we could gather more infos about our roles, what they mean to the devs ideas; etc.
    - Please bring back Councils (of Batmen, of Wonder-Women, on Luthors).As they were mostly created for DCUO.
    • Like x 3