Missed opportunity to get more players into PVP

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by DCUO Addict, Aug 9, 2016.

1. DCUO Addict Committed Player

I know trash talking can be part of PVP, but I'm afraid many people were turned off by PVP this weekend because of how horribly they were treated. Just a few examples (I saw a lot more):

1.Someone shouts in the watchtower asking how to buy PVP gear - 3 or 4 people immediately shout noob or scrub
    2. On a 4v4 arena, the cr100 goes down twice and screams at the other players, who were capturing other nodes, because they didn't come save him. He types a bunch of abusive stuff and stays just outside the spawn area, so he can still get his marks.
    3. So many Circes!

I'm not QQing. I don't PVP much, and I admit that I'm not very good at it. I tried to help the people who had questions or ran into jerks, but since I'm a PVP noob/scrub, there was only so much I could do. I'm glad PVP exists for the players who love it, and I strongly support it getting more attention. I'm just saying that running people off is not the best way to make it a thriving part of the game.
    • Like x 2
  2. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

When something is broken/overpowered, people will abuse it. It's on the devs to fix it when it's called out in a timely manner. Not to say people using those things is tolerable, it isn't, it's a consequence of it.
    • Like x 3
  3. Tsigalko Well-Known Player

1. those guys are just jerks. don't think this has anything to do with pvp. if someone ask where to buy pve gear after 134 cr those ppl would probably reply the same way
    2. sometimes this gets frustrating tho. yes u need to hold the nodes in maps like ace or star labs, but in arkham/moon u can leave the nodes after u catch it and help other nodes if no enemies is attacking your node, and new players often dont understand this concept.i've lost count how many times i got ganked 4v1 in arkham when the other players is guarding an already captured (empty) nodes and/or just fighting the crows/adds. u need lots and lots of patience and zen not to say anything about it if this happens multiple times in a match.
    3. its a bug thing that only happens in belle reve that already been fixed, but sadly its a little too late

in a normal condition, they fix the pet bugs relatively fast (2-3 days). but with the double marks last weekend, they should respond faster since ppl have been reporting almost immediately after the map launched. what suppose to be something that can attract new pvp players has become a cheesefest resulting a "missed opportunity to get more players into pvp".

the devs fail to fix the pet bug during the double mark weekend in a "timely manner", and they fix it literally right after the double marks ends. this led me to think maybe is their true intention to make this cheese-fest last weekend. xD #conspiracytheory
  4. stärnbock Devoted Player

I think, in this game (and pvp even more), u always have to find out what works and does the best effects by try out and look if it works, if not, try something different and look if its better, if not, try something else... If something is found to be superior, then it is used until next time u find something that works better for competition... Sometimes (if a bug is responsable for things happening that were not intended) this will lead to an exploitation, (even though some exploits are not easy to determine given by the complexity of the game) and hwo can blame ppl using what works best for them (untill it is official a bug abuse, then its cheap of course). Look at clipping weapon combos with powers and jumpcanceling and awesome stuff that was not intended at first, but became aknowledget and a part of the game because it made the game even more fun to play. So it is kind of a gray zone, like repairbot jumpcancel for spammin mental rotation. Is it a bug-abuse? or rather an exploitation? of a game mechanic? Is it broken? Or is the player just trying the best s/he can to get the best result possible?
  5. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

If you can't beat them, join them. That way the devs will be forced to act sooner than later. I wanna see a ton of fire tanks and sorcery healers as well as Circes. Unfortunately I didn't want to bother to leveling up a new alt lol
  6. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

I'm sure they're fixing it already they're just timing it with a GU or Hotfix is my guess.

Besides, if they're really using Exploitable characters to get an advantage I'd consider that kinda cheap and wouldn't prefer to even play with people like that. That's why I only run the Arenas Belle Reve, where Skill resides and not in the hands of people who enjoy imposing others as to what's the new norm, according to the Legends shouts asking for Two Face and Circe in LFG.
  7. UltraVillain Committed Player

The pvp weekend was a great idea but was rushed out the door to an arbitrary deadline that frankly did do more harm than good. The new arena was also clearly as basic and dull as could be imagined conveying no sense of DC and offering no unique experience whatsoever. Power balance and more importantly role balance is just whack out of line atm and legends aren't much better...they all needed attention before we had a weekend to market the system over again.

A missed opportunity indeed on so many levels.
  8. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

It's not a conspiracy. It's just another problem we wouldn't have if they hired real testers.
  9. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Sorry, have to stop you at SKILL. You mean all of the hardlight dps and trolls with their nature bug healers. That's skill? Sorry, but using powers that have uninterruptable combos and nature healers with their OP uppercut. That's not skill my friend. That is no different than what you see in legends.
  10. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

Healers aren't intended to do damage, that uppercut can be blocked. I'm glad you didn't point out the healing aspect as the problem to nature healers in PvP, therefor maybe people should focus fire the healer and troll first. I just spam powers I know will have some sort of CC, like Transmutation. Also, the powers move HL users use, like Rage, are block able, you just need to have better timing as to when to block. Learning how to adapt is skill, exploiting a glitch is petty.
  11. Absolix Loyal Player

There is a notorious single target combo from HL that does not have any counter vulnerabilities to it. It is the main reason HLhas been a top tier Dps since season 3 started
  12. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Then you have no clue what your talking about. For a good year, maybe more, there is a HL combo that can not be countered. Im sure you can find it on youtube. All of the TOP pvp leagues use it.

Yes, the uppercut can be blocked. Just like the pulse beam can be lunged. Problem is neither move should hit as hard as it does. The healing with nature is fine. If they would just tone down the vit on gear so they cant regen their power that would be a big help. The other issue is with cross pol and pets in pvp. Notice how most groups you'll see robot sidekicks? Well, the more players and pets means that cross pol wave heal strengthens over and over. Keeping a few heal dots along with cross pol, then refresh. It's OP on power and the amount of free heals it's getting. That heal should maybe be limited to players and not pets or limit the number of people or pets it effects. Even if the vit is lowered, if something is not down about that power nature will still rule pvp as the best healer option.
  13. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

Yes, I know it can't be countered. If you tell your group to focus fire a particular person they will. Groups are supposed to have pack mentality's so that comes in handy with eliminating competition. You're right, it's been great for years but there's a reason why many people have trimuphrd over HL because they know how to successfully OP it. You saying Nature is fine and then pick something out wrong with it is redundant. That doesn't make any sense and proves my point of something being wrong with it, and it needs adjusted. I've countered HL all the times, I don't know what load out you're talking about.
  14. ChillCat Loyal Player

Trash talking and bad attitudes are an inherent part of any competitive activity. If a special snowflake n00b can't handle aggressive talk, they don't belong in PVP, IMO. It is not for the thin skinned or the timid. That's just human nature and not at all unique to DCUO.
    • Like x 2
  15. Fies Committed Player

Damn why did you have to break your "Super Great" streak again...
  16. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

What I'm pointing out is the one or two particular things that could be tweeted a bit. As soon as they do sorcery would be the next one to be nerfed or fixed in some way. That is currently the 2nd strongest healer in pvp. Electric and celestial are as good or bad as the person using it.

The HL combo. Look on the forums or on youtube.
  17. jedirobb Well-Known Player

PvP isn't a nice place, it's not supposed to be... well, not as much as PvE.

I still support the idea of level capping PvP matches. New player, CR17? You play with other people like you. People who are learning.

That's the biggest difference that we have with PvP and PvE... you cannot run big kid content until you are (carried) to the appropriate CR. Meaning, hopefully, you have learned what to do and how to play by the time it really matters.

Instead, now at least, we have stat clamping and everyone allowed to play with one another. Sure, little CR17 can run around and do stuff, but he's not really helping the team.

I know... this is another fracturing of the community and bad for the player base but so is the experience for the new players and jumping in an Arena and having to cope with it. It's not the best solution but the reality is, there isn't one, not for both sides. I'm sure the CR 100 you were playing with was just as upset at you as you were frustrated with him.

This is a lot better experience for new players now than it used to be... remember running into a team or person that was geared higher than you and they just destroyed you? At least now new folks can run around the room for a few before they are isolated and beaten to death and, subsequently, their team.
  18. Soul Dedicated Player

I'm pretty sure the very concept of sportsmanship defies what you just said.
    Not in the way of you being wrong about competitive activity, you're absolutely right.. But in the way of what values we should condone while being a part of it.
    Saying "Oh well that's what competitiveness brings out of people, nothing can be done", would've ended in violence irl.. Upholding certain values even if its a video game shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Calling someone a "Special snowflake" when all they want is both sides to just be respectful doesn't seem like the right thing to support, even if you can't change that person yourself, at least don't condone it.
    • Like x 1
  19. ChillCat Loyal Player

Fair enough. However, if a player is "run off" because a less than courteous opponent or teammate said mean things to them, that player is in for a very long and tough road.
  20. Soul Dedicated Player

Well you said it yourself, this is more about human nature then DCUO, some people are just mean, some even enjoy seeing others suffer.. (There are multiple examples to this kind of behavior in these forums, actually..) If a person is too weak to handle that reality they're going to have a hard time living in general.

I just meant that within the context of PvP we should still be measured by our actions, and not dismiss sportsmanship all together.
    It should be our responsibility, if we want to make the community better, to point out when people are being disrespectful and do the little we can to set an example.
    • Like x 3