Milestone's (DC) Icon and Rocket

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Controller, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Val Em New Player

As you seem to point out, DC and Milestone had a crossover event back in 2009, when Dwayne McDuffie was working for DC, he used his partial ownership of Milestone IPs to merge them with DC. However after his death, ownership reverted to Derek Dingle, with partial ownership retained by McDuffie’s estate. With former Milestone founder Denys Cowan and filmmaker Reggie Hudlin, Dingle launched Milestone 2.0 in 2015 with the intent to launch the Earth M imprint. Plans for Earth M sat in development Hell for the next five years as the McDuffie estate sued Milestone 2.0 for using the IPs without their consent. They reached a settlement in 2019 and in 2020 Earth M was finally published. Although Static, Rocket and Icon all appear in Young Justice, that appears to be the work of McDuffie shortly before and after he died, and prior to the restart of Milstone 2.0. Having spoken with Denys and former Milestone founder Michael Davis on Twitter, they were pretty clear that Earth M is it’s own imprint and they have no intention of merging their IPs. So Milestone IPs will remain separate for the foreseeable future.

But again I need to stress that Milestone ISN’T and NEVER HAS BEEN a DC IP. They are their own separate studio. Only when McDuffie was alive working for DC comics and in sole creative possession of the IP did they ever look like they were going to merge. Those plans died with Dwayne unfortunately.
  2. ThunderGunExpress Well-Known Player

You posted this in aother thread.

You also posted this in another thread.

Heed your own advice.

The message (your opinion) was correct. You chose to deliver your opinion in a provocative manner as opposed to "I appreciate your passion for this character, but I would rather..." or any other number of ways.

Now the irony of your opinion is...If there is anyone more qualified to bring a "Z-list" character to live action, it's James Gunn.
    This is the guy that turned "Guardians of the Galaxy", a comic book that never really sold well and the public at large had never heard of into one of Marvel's most important franchises.
    This is the guy that introduced "Polka Dot Man" and "Arms-Fall-Off Boy" to live action in "the Suicide Squad" and made "Peacemaker" into one of DC's greatest television series. Peacemaker. Are you buying Peacemaker comic books?

Now I wouldn't want to get Controller's hopes up, because the chances of there ever being an Icon movie are way too slim, and James Gunn wouldn't be the right guy to direct the movie, because it should be done by a black man. But it's not outside the realm of possibilities. All you would need is someone with a similar passion for the character and a really good story. Story is king (something DC more often than not seems to missing).

Fortunately, John Ridley is a big comic book fan. He won an Oscar for the screenplay for "12 Years a Slave". He's currently writing "the Next Batman" and wrote "The Other History of the DC Universe". The only thing I've read by him is the graphic novel he did for "the Authority" many years ago but I've been meaning to get at "the Other History" at some point. Backlog.

[IMG]

Fortunately, Reggie Hudlin is a big comic book fan. I watched a movie just last week directed by him, "the Black Godfather" (and it was great. I would recommend it to everyone, but particularly to Controller, because if you don't know about Clarence Avant, you should. You'd really enjoy it.). Reggie Hudlin wrote a great run of "Black Panther" a few years before the movie came out and the movie borrowed many aspects from his run.

[IMG]

Now, if you had people of that pedigree that were passionate about the character and had a great story...well, it's still an uphill battle. You'd have to get through the red tape that Val pointed out and you'd have to convince WB that they could make a profit.
    But James Gunn is your guy. If anyone could be convinced to fight for that, it's him.

And the Milestone characters were very well integrated to the DC Universe in the Young Justice cartoon. It's a shame it isn't easier to integrate them into the DC Universe because of all the legal mumbo jumbo, as I feel they're easier to integrate than Wildstorm or Watchmen, which always feels wrong to me. They were able to integrate some of the Fawcett and Quality and Charlton characters pretty well; but "the Authority" works best as an analogy of the DC and Marvel universe...and I'm not even going to get into Watchmen because of my great respect for Alan Moore. Give Wildstorm it's own world in the Multiverse and cross-over on occasion.

There was a "Static" cartoon; there could be a live-action "Static" at some point (as he is more popular, and thus probably easier to cut through that red-tape)...but again. Story and passion is King. Not likely, but not outside the realm of possibilities.

Now, to play devil's advocate...he's right that it's "Zack Snyder" with a "k". I've wanted to point it out myself as you've posted trailers and posters in your posts with the correct spelling...but I couldn't really be bothered. I knew who you were talking about.
    But I like you Troller. I admire your passion and you posted that tribute to Christie McVie in that awfully, awfully titled thread (I'm a bigger Python fan than all of you. In the "Holy Grail" it was hilarious. As a thread title, it sucks. Are you honoring them? Listing off statistics? I find it disrespectful as hell, but that's me. I would say it's because I sometimes see friends and colleagues in it, but I would think the same even if that wasn't the case).

And for what it's worth, "Man of Steel" is still my favourite movie in the DC Universe. Yes, I had some problems with it and it had flaws, but I choose to recognize what I liked about it, like it's casting, costuming, and soundtrack. It's tough to follow John Williams but I thought he pulled it off quite well. But his movies were costly and I feel he went further and further off the mark. You take that 4 hour JL movie and cut it down to 2 hours and it's just as bad as Whedon's movie. WB doesn't want a 4 hour movie, and in that respect, you have to play ball.
    I saw his outline for the two follow up movies, and they looked interesting and I would have liked to see them...but they would have been extremely expensive to make without a guarantee of return. Cameron's Avatar is costly, but more likely to make a return on the investment.

I thought Black Adam was awful. Not WW84 awful (what boggles my mind is a movie that's a 4 could have been a movie that's a 6.5 with an amazing soundtrack. How do you make a movie with 84 in the title and disco posters and not have an amazing soundtrack? It could have been an all-female soundtrack even. Bangles. Bananarama. B-52's. If you'll allow the accidental alliteration. Bonnie Tyler. The opening scene should have had her fighting to the tune of "I Need a Hero". The cover of Duran Duran's Rio almost looks like WW. A scene where she's chasing a bad guy on the beach of Rio and five pretty boys are coming out of the ocean witnessing this and saying "Hey lads. I know the title of our next album." and then a montage of her fighting villains over the song "Rio". I could make 100 soundtracks for WW84 and they'd all be different and they'd all be awesome.). About Green Lantern awful.
    The most westernized Middle Eastern country ever that's instead of being occupied by, well, us...occupied by...Intergang? It took them years and years to finalize on this script?
    Most of DC's output (not all) either gets it wrong or insults my intelligence, but I have high hopes for James Gunn and I think he'll do right by me overall.

But I look at directors a little differently than most people.
    Snyder gets a lifetime pass from me. His (and Gunn who co-wrote) remake of "Dawn of the Dead" I thought was great, despite my preference for lumbering zombies. It was filmed where I grew up (I remember that mall being built and hung out there occasionally after school) and my friend Kimmy got sawed in half (I worked on a George Romero movie once and as he shook my hand and told me I did a good job, all I could think was "the Godfather of Zombies is shaking my hand and telling me I did a good job").
    If you liked Frank Miller's "300", as stylized and historically inaccurate as it was, his adaptation was picture perfect.
    I didn't like Watchmen in the theatre, but by the time they released the Ultimate Cut with the integrated "Tales of the Black Freighter" I viewed it more of an analogy of other comic book movies and appreciated what he tried to do, and I like that version of the movie.
    Patty Jenkins gets a lifetime pass from me. I hated WW84...but she wrote and directed "Monster".

And I appreciate your passion for Dwayne McDuffie. He indeed was great.
    I haven't read Milestone. I may at some point, but again, backlog. There are things I want to read more. I did read "Damage Control" many years ago and it was an excellent contribution to Marvel overall.
    And the JL and JLU cartoons that we all loved wouldn't have been the same without him.
    I hesitate to point out that he was fired from that Justice League book you've been posting...but I love the reason for it. It was for forthrightness with his fans, and his honesty of why he couldn't do what he planned and use the characters he wanted to use. Now, if you want to keep your job, you probably shouldn't be doing that...but there was no maliciousness in his honesty; simply the truth "I can't do this because...but that's the way the cookie crumbles". There was a whole lot more honesty with maliciousness by many a creator during the New 52 period.
    He also threw "the Black Bomber" as a cameo in his JL run which is a deep cut that I admire, which I won't get into, but if you google "Tony Isabella" you'll read how he saved DC from a PR nightmare in what could have been their first black superhero. Let's just say "Black Lightning" was a much, much better way to go.

Having said that, I wish you would champion some living creators more, simply for role models for young black kids to look up to (Dwayne McDuffie being a really good one...but he's been gone for 11 years now).
    I'm colourblind when it comes to art. If I'm reading it, all I care about is a good story. If I'm looking at it, all I care about is good art. So while it shouldn't be important, it is. Role models.
    I mentioned John Ridley and Reggie Hudlin above.
    There are creators like Christopher Priest (or James Owsley), who, as far as I know, was the first black writer and editor in the comic book industry (and was involved in the early stages of Milestone. He created the "M" logo.) He was writing Deathstroke for a while and has written and edited major guys for the big 2. I haven't read a whole lot of his work, but I did pick up his "Falcon" mini-series as a kid, which was around the start of mini-series in general and Falcon was my favorite Mego Doll as a kid.
    (A couple of side notes. Jack Kirby is the only comic book creator that gave me nightmares as a kid. This Cap comic was one of my earliest comic books. It was missing the cover, so I may have plucked it from the barber for all I remember.
    [IMG]

It was particularly the middle 3 panels here that gave me nightmares.

[IMG]

It took Frank Miller's passion for Kirby to have another look and say "He's right. Kirby really was the King." I look back at the art in that same issue now and I just love it. There's a great double-page spread he did in it. I admire him as being the only comic book creator to have given me nightmares.
    So I probably love that Falcon costume because of him; but I had a bunch of those Mego dolls (our current yellow oval Batman symbol in the game reminds me of the sticker that was on Batman's costume that kept falling off and I had to keep sticking back on).
    The funny thing is all of my toys that I had as a kid, those Mego dolls, the original Star Wars toys...I don't know if Micronauts are worth anything but I had those too...are worth good cash these days and all of my sisters Barbies aren't worth sh...erbert. I'm guessing. But my toys were horribly maimed. An arm came off, a leg came off, a head came off...I was rough and tumble.
    But before he was horribly maimed, I loved this toy.

[IMG]

Still love that costume.

I digress. Christopher Priest.
    I did go to his website and read some of the articles he wrote and I really liked what he had to say. Worth checking out.

There are artists that I love.
    Denys Cowan was and is involved in Milestone. He did the art for a seminal Batman story, Detective 598-600, that was written by Batman '89 screenwriter Sam Hamm and introduced Henri Ducard, who was later included in Batman Begins (which I found neat).
    I've been on a Jeff Lemire kick recently, on the tail-end of reading his "Black Hammer" stuff, and I'll probably read his sci-fi "Descender/Ascender" next, but at some point I'll get to "the Question" mini-series he recently did for Black Label that was penciled by Denys Cowan and inked by Bill Sienkiewicz (and they, particularly, make a great team).
    Kyle Baker is a creator that I think is just great. As a writer, penciler and inker. He's been around for ages.
    He did Plastic Man for DC, "Truth" which introduced the first black Captain America for Marvel...but I think his best stuff is his creator-owned stuff like "Why I Hate Saturn". And others.
    Brian Stelfreeze. Been around for ages. Fantastic art. Big on Batman. I'm a long-time admirer of his.

[IMG]

There are others, but those are just off the top of my head.

But again, I appreciate your passion for Dwayne McDuffie, Icon and Rocket (who they did great in Young Justice) and the Milestone characters. I'm just trying to hopefully widen your field, so to speak.
    • Like x 1
  3. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, Icon being a more thoughtful, wisdom-giving type might be part of why he gets overlooked, but I always appreciate having that kind of character in a bunch. It's good balance and keeps the other characters in line and organized and helps cohesion. Part of why I've always loved Khaldur and why Young Justice made him the leader. Problem is, a lot of people just want big action. I don't know Icon as well as I do other characters, but from what I do know he seems to have both, so.....

Also.... why wouldn't we be able to have them in the game? Unless there's some specific contract stuff going on, as long as DC/WB gives approval, it's perfectly possible. Also... we already have Static in the game and multiple style items, both set and individual, based on him. And I mean... Blue Beetle (Ted and Grant), Question, Captain Atom, and Nightshade are Charleton characters, as are several others, but we've got either them (Captain Atom) or other characters that took up their mantles (Blue Beetle, Question) aside from Nightshade.
    • Like x 2
  4. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

The question you ask is similar to someone asking "Well why can't Sony just make their own Captain America Movie? They have Spiderman right?"

There's a whole history between DC and Milestone but the basic thing to remember is they are entirely and completely different companies. A lot of gamers this year ended up buying Elden Ring. Made by FromSoft and Published by Bandai Namco. 2 different companies doing 2 different things to make 1 thing happen. That's how you need to view DC and Milestones relationship.

There WERE plans for the Milestone Characters to be integrated into the DC Multiverse, announced by Dan Didio at a ComicCon I think. That never happened. It's still known as the DakotaUniverse for a reason.

As for Static, he was stage one in Duffies plans to integrate into DC. He even showed up in a Titans book at one point. Then Duffie died and so too did the plans. Milestone became a mess when it tried to rebrand because they didn't include Duffies family in the plans or the pay. And that leads us to today.

The only Milestone character who will ever show up in any DC Medium beyond reruns of Static Shocks show or re-releases of that Titans run is Static himself. All the rest are buried under Milestones in-fighting and loss of imagination. Which might be for the best considering the latest "Season One" comics' poor sales.

Edit: Sorry I left something out. You mentioned the Charleston Characters. Literally bought by DC, like how Captain Marvel/Shazam was from Fawcett Comics. Bought and integrated. Something DC planned to do years ago with certain Milestone Characters but only ended up wanting Static.
  5. Controller Devoted Player

The fact that Static has been in this game for MANY years is why it wouldn't surprise me one day if Icon pops up in this game somewhere, somehow, lol.....

And he and Static would STILL not be in the DC Movie universe.
    • Like x 3
  6. Val Em New Player

DC is not the parent company of Milestone, that’s one of the things Wikipedia gets wrong. As informed by Milestone founder Michael Davis on Twitter (It was actually quite embarrassing because I made the mistake of wrongly identifying Milestone as part of DC) Milestone is not and never has been part of DC. DC is their distributor and publisher. Meaning they do the printing and shipping. And in interviews Reggie Hudlin of Milestone 2.0 has stated that DC is their most valuable partner, but they were open to working with another studio, like Marvel for example. This was prior to the cryptic “big news” alluded to for Milestone and DC this year, hinting at a future partnership. Will Milestone keep working with DC? Yes. But unlike Wildstorm for example, they were never a subdivision of DC.
  7. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

That's interesting I always though Milestone was an imprint of DC.
  8. Val Em New Player

The short answer is despite what certain people claim online, Milestone is not an imprint of DC Comics and they never owned it. Milestone was formed independently by four men from across the industry, former Marvel editor the late Dwayne McDuffie, DC Comics writer Denys Cowan, comic industry freelancer Michael Davis and businessman Derek Dingle, with significant input from Christopher Priest, who worked for both Marvel and DC but left Milestone before it incorporated for personal reasons. These four (or five) people independently founded Milestone to focus on black and minority creators. Christopher Priest stayed on with DC to liaise between the two. Through a creative deal with DC, Milestone retained all rights to the IP and the only right DC exercised was the right to not public certain content they objected to. After being founded in 1993, Michael Davis, Denys Cowan and Christopher Priest all sold their stake in Milestone, with Christopher Priest leaving before Milestone launched and Denys Cowan and Michael Davis leaving for Image comics in 1995. Milestone suffered a sales slump early on and limped on the next few years until shutting down its comic book division in 1997. From that point on it remained a licensing company with now coowners Dwayne McDuffie and Derek Dingle retaining ownership and the rest of the staff moving on to other projects. McDuffie went to work for Warner Brother animation and wrote and directed several tv series and movies, including his own property Static Shock as well as Teen Titans, Justice League, Ben10 and Scooby Doo. He returned to
    Comics in 2007 where he wrote for Marvel and DC, finishing the series Milestone Forever in 2010, which settled the fates of Milestone characters. He secured a merger with DC in 2008, as announced by Dan DiDio, merging Dakotaverse and DC Comics. This deal also included appearances in Young Justice and DCUO, as well as a Static run in New 52, which was cancelled shortly after launched. McDuffies untimely death ended this partnership. Derek Dingle, the other owner of Milestone returned to his position at Black Enterprise magazine and served there as editor until 2008 when he was promoted to Vice President and editor in chief until 2014, when he was promoted to Chief Content Officer. In 2015 he re-launched Milestone Comics with filmmaker Reginald Hudlin and former Milestone founder Denys Cowan. DC quickly announced a partnership to Launch Earth M, which was delayed to to lawsuits stating that they were illegally using the IP against the wishes of the McDuffie estate, which was settled in 2019.

Thank you for bearing with that history lesson. The point I was trying to make is that it was consistently privately owned and held, and never acquired like WildStorm which was also established independently by Jim Lee in 1992 and sold to DC in 1999. It’s legal status was private partner, historically imprints are established within comics publishers in order to create and maintain brand identity and messaging. They are legally just subdivisions of the parent company, DC in this case. WildStorm started off independent, but became an imprint after the buyout. Milestone either couldn’t, or wouldn’t or wasn’t offered this opportunity, possibly due to McDuffie’s displeasure over the behavior of DC executives who only seemed to want Static, his later deals stipulated Rocket and Icon also be included, which is why we got them in Young Justice. Dwayne’s untimely death ended the partnership until the revival, with Milestone hinting a new collaborative effort is in the works with DC. But I will remind people this is not the first time they announced, such a thing, with Earth M announced in 2015, then again in 2017 and 2018, and finally not appearing again until 2020.

But TLDR: Milestone was never an imprint of DC and only poor understanding of what imprints actually are, how they’re established and their purpose in comics publishing combined with inaccurate info put into Wikipedia and a poor understanding of the timeline of Milestone and its relationship with DC, which was further obfuscated by Dwayne’s work with DC created a scenario where people simply got the wrong impression. Milestone is independent and owned by Derek Dingle, Reginald Hudlin and Denys Cowan, with possible part ownership belonging to the McDuffie estate as it’s unclear what the terms of their settlement actually were.

Hope this helps.
  9. Val Em New Player

The point of all this was to establish and delineate the nature of the relationship between Milestone and DC, as there is much confusion over who owned what and how things worked out. DC doesn’t own Milestone, they don’t own Static or Rocket or Icon or anything else. Existing inclusion of Milestone properties by DC only exist through decades old deals made between Dwayne McDuffie and former DC leadership. Is further cooperation likely? Yes, Milestone has repeatedly signaled they want to keep working with DC, but they will not relinquish character rights and any inclusion in movies, TV or games will be through a complicated licensing arrangement. Which of the past is any indication, DC may not want to
    do, as McDuffie had previously noted DC was only interested in Static. That said, Warner Brothers and DC leadership has changed several times timce then, and anything is possible.
    • Like x 1
  10. Controller Devoted Player

Val Em and Talks2muchsense - thank you for your input. This DOES help to clarify things - even for ME. Good questions from Quantum and Kestral as well.

Talks2muchsense - I do not like your approach from earlier but I totally get that in the digital world it is impossible to completely get our intent across sometimes.

I am Old School - and would much rather have coffee at Starbucks with group of folks like you and discuss things like this - face to face.

But I do get that Social Media allows us to cross country lines...many distant miles apart - and communicate.

With what has been discussed the last few days I am still holding out hope that Icon, Rocket and OTHER Milestone characters DO make it to the Big Screen in DC cinematic universe - the SAME one with Superman, WW, Batman, Flash, Aquaman and everyone else from the last few years.

Some of what has been said the last few days sheds little hope on that, but I'm personally not giving up.

I'll have more thoughts on this to discuss much later - as to Milestone's CURRENT direction, their NEW Icon and Rocket series - which I have read - and other issues.

To say that I am concerned about Milestone's "CURRENT" direction is an understatement. And I'm personally not budging from my desire to see them INTEGRATED into DC Characters - like Dwayne McDuffie did.

No offense AT ALL - but I'd rather have ORIGINAL characters of color representing than a "Black Superman" or a "Black Flash". To ME - all this represents is LABEL CHASING....EMBLEM WORSHIP.

John Stewart GL? He gets a PASS from me - being that GL Lore states that the ring CHOOSES its wearer, and there are multiple GLs just on Earth alone.....

But anyways I'll be back later to discuss more.
    • Like x 2
  11. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

No problem and happy to help. Look I don't know who this "Hunted" person was or what kinds of conversations and/or arguments yous had were like, but that isnt/wasn't me. I can't exactly prove that but it's the truth.

When it comes to Milestone Characters on the Big Screen, I prefer honesty over false hope. Not because it would hurt someone, you'd have to be a pretty sick person to be motivated by that, but because although the truth initially hurts, even a lot some times, it's still better to know. So here is the truth:

Right now, it's less likely than it ever has been that Milestone Characters will show up in either Comics or Movies or TV Shows. The other forum member is 100% correct, the only reason we got what we got so far, like Static, is because of efforts by McDuffie. He was a bridge between the 2 companies, and at one point really did have a deal with Dan Didio to integrate Milestone Xharacters into the DC Multiverse as Earth M. But that never happened, and then unfortunately the bridge burnes when McDuffie unfortunately passed away. When you look at DC now it's becoming more and more clear why Milestones inclusion in anything is narrowing by the day. David Zaslav is cutting the "unnecessary fat" from WB/D, their own properties. Which means it's extremely unlikely he'd be interested in doing that just to take on a different companies Characters. Gunn and Stefan are presenting the newly formed 8-10 year DC Movie plan to Zaslav in less than a week. If they have to reorganise DC Characters just to get the Movies on track again, it'd be unfair to both DC and to Milestone Fans to jam in another companies properties too. If that were done, it's unlikely they'd be given the care and attention needed to do them Justice anyway. As for Milestone, the company seems to be in a never ending tailspin. They had an "initiative" that brought in new writers through a screening process but so far I can't recall any releases from any of them. There was the settlement with the McDuffie estate in (2020?) but we don't know the details of that. It could mean it's more difficult now to just make and publish a comic considering the McDuffie Estate was basically just "left out" of the Season One plans.

Long story short, it's all a bit f###ed right now. DCUO was lucky being developed around 2005 and that's how they got permission for Static. Beyond that, as stated earlier I just genuinely prefer a truth to a lie, there's a slim-to-none chance of Milestone Characters showing up in TV, Movies or Games any time soon. Unfortunately leaning more towards the "none" part than the "slim" part.
  12. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

I gotta be honest, I had to stop reading once we hit the point of "all you would need is" because what follows that is nonsense, and I didn't want to spend another 30 mins reading the rest coming across more nonsense.

You genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Genuinely. And what's worse is the information you are missing is in this very thread. What's needed is not just someone who can direct and a good script, have you read any of the replies in this thread at all? Genuine question because this is kind of crazy. One Forum Member discusses the difference between DC and Milestone, covers it almost perfectly, I reiterate it because another member reverted back to "Well why don't DC just do X with character X despite how it was just explained DC cannot do anything with them succinctly", and now you come in grabbing quotes of mine without the courtesy of even attempting to lay down any context behind them, and make the same mistake about the Milestone Characters?

2 Things:

1) If you don't have the decency to read previous replies properly so that you can give an actual up to date opinion on things, why would anyone be foolish enough to take any advice off you?

2) To catch you up. No. Right now Gunn can never use Milestone Characters. Safran can never use Milestone Characters. Zaslav can never use any Milestone Characters. The only exception to that rule is Static because of the behind-the-scenes work McDuffie did to make Earth M happen. It didn't happen. DC didn't and doesn't own Milestone, nor vice versa. They've been partners on projects. DCs main function has been as a Publisher for Milestone. All Rights to Characters and Copyrights remain safely with Mikestone. DC cannot change a hair on Static without consulting Milestone. This is all stuff you should have known before smashing your face into your keyboard like you did above. It might be best to come off the high horse and learn why first impressions mean so much. That way you'll know why this was the first and last time we'll ever speak.
  13. ThunderGunExpress Well-Known Player

...already the answer to your aggressive, talks too much nonsense yourself post. Had you kept reading.
    I'm very well aware of the structure of Milestone.

Again. Heed your own advice.

You're the one acting all keyboard warrior here. Maybe if you calm down a bit and actually read what I wrote, you would have seen that I said it was still an uphill battle and not likely to happen.
    And try not to contradict yourself.
    "I had to stop reading..." "You don't have the decency to read the replies..." Which one is it, bud? I've read the replies.
    Have the decency to read my reply so I don't have to repeat myself like your reply which parroted others.

If it were ever to happen, which is very unlikely, passion and story would have to be the foundation. And then it would still be an uphill battle, getting through the legal mumbo jumbo...as I wrote.

Sony made a (pretty unprecedented) deal with Disney to allow Spider-Man to be in MCU. There was profit to be made. That would be another key factor; showing that they could make a profit. Which is why the foundation is story and passion.

So you know I already know that James Gunn can't just choose to make this movie (and another factor being that the plan is integration and the legal issues make that hurdle even higher).

So what exactly are you trying to teach me? I didn't say an Icon movie is happening.
    That being said, "the Batman" and "Joker" were outside of the DCU continuity.

Marvel publishing went through much red tape to allow themselves to publish Miracleman. That was tangled all over the place.

But Icon isn't as recognizable (unfortunately) as all of those other characters.
    But if someone like Reggie Hudlin really really wanted to make an Icon movie because he's very passionate about it (and I'm not saying that he is or he wants to or it's happening or any other conclusions your jumping to), and he had a really good story and he could convince the people he needed to to make it and was willing to jump those legal hurdles, do you think he couldn't? Already being involved with Milestone and being a director and being a producer. And I mentioned how well the Young Justice cartoon integrated the characters.

That's all I was saying. Extremely unlikely, but not outside the realm of possibilities.

First impressions, huh? I have mine.
    "That way you'll know this is the first and last time we'll ever speak". Ha.
    Avail yourself to read what I wrote. Or not.
  14. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Man... if only it were possible, I'd LOVE to sit down with you and just discuss these things over coffee or lunch or something. These are matters that have always been very important to me, especially being part of marginalized groups myself (not racially so, though). And really getting insight from different people with different experiences and perspectives can be fascinating and great.
    • Like x 2
  15. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

You guys may want to pick up a copy of Dark Crisis Big Bang #1.
    Specifically paying attention to Earth 93.
    Looks like the Heads of DC just made the near-impossible, possible.
  16. Controller Devoted Player

Not seeing much of this on Google, as of yet anyways....

Did see some references to Hardware and Icon being in this Earth-93.....

Is Earth 93 a proposed placeholder for ALL or most of DC characters - Milestone included?
  17. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

According to Flashes notes at the back of the comic, since Pariah recreated the infinite Multiverse, all Dakotaverse characters are on DCs Earth 93 now.

We don't know what it means yet as we don't know if Pariahs Infinite Multiverse will be sticking around, but for now it looks like Milestone and DC worked something out for the comicbook side.
    • Like x 1
  18. Controller Devoted Player

Well, this is GREAT NEWS....

I was a bit troubled by the NEWER Season 1 Issues 1 through 6 Icon and Rocket issues.....even though well-written, they had managed to "Do away with" more well-known DC Characters - all in an attempt to I guess give Milestone characters their OWN comics?

I guess the "Superman" of the Season 1: Icon and Rocket series meets his "end" at the hands of Icon's main protagonist. This is described in Issue #2.

Here's hoping that GOING FORWARD - DC and Milestone can be one big Happy (if not a bit dysfunctional) family.

[IMG]

Seriously though what nincompoop would separate them?
  19. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

As I said though take the news with caution. DC has thrived on there only ever being 52 Earth's for decades now because it was far more manageable. An Infinite Multiverse is a lot more of a risk, just like how Marvel has made an absolute mess of theirs.

It could mean another step towards integration, or it could be undone at some point and returned to 52, with this just being a callback to the original Earth M plans. Next year sees the "Dawn of DCU" series begin, so we'll know more after Dark Crisis #7 and at the start of 2023.
  20. Trykz Dedicated Player

[IMG]

So anyway, like I was saying, rocket is coming to dcuo.
    Guess some people don’t know as much about datamining as they thought they did.
    Congrats again.
    ✌️.
    • Like x 2