Meta, Tech, Magic Powersets.. a discussion.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by SigmaAtom, Nov 20, 2017.

1. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Hi guys

Soo.. a while ago I wrote a blog on content type branches (Meta,Tech, Magic) see [HERE]
    I was playing again today and while I'm not a 'Full RP' player, I enjoy the RP background and think about it as I play. Something bugged me, now you could say it's the reverse in many powersets and you'd be correct, but as a Meta guy I can't really get into the Magic RP.. and that causes lower morale when playing as a Healer class.

Have a look:
    Powers;

Tech

Controller Class:
    Gadgets (Batman/Joker)
    Quantum (Rip Hunter/Major Force)
    Munitions (?.. DeadShot?? I RP Fallout)
    Light (GL/YL, mixed Tech with Entities Meta)

Tank Class:
    Rage (RL, mixed Tech with Entities Meta)
    Ice (Mr Freeze/Killer Frost)

Healer Class:
    Nature (Poison Ivy, mixed Tech with 'Indian Hill Meta')

Meta

Controller Class:
    Mental (Gorilla Grodd/ Martian Manhunter)

Tank Class:
    Fire (Superman, although this has some debate, but the devs made his base Fire so..)
    Earth (Terra?)
    Atomic (FireStorm)

Magic

Healer Class:
    Sorcery (Circe)
    Celestial (Wonder Woman)
    Electricity (Shazam/Black Adam)
    Water (Aquaman, Aquafam)

I know I want a Lantern Healer.. but I just felt like I should draw attention to the imbalance of options to RP players.. flip I hate magic, but see how little options the magic players have! Healer class or Healer class?
    It's like Henry Ford and his first cars quote 'You can have any colour as long as it's black.'

The Team are doing great work right now, and I heartily encourage them to continue.. but just as a back burner, something to keep in mind when the occasion arises..

For us?.. welp.. I wanna whine whine for a Lantern Healer.. coz still I can't stop thinking about it when I'm playing.. I caught myself doing it today after a 5 month absence, I'm only back a month. :confused:

But whatever you do, have a great and bizarre day!

Sigma
    ---------------------
    I coulda rehashed this for my own wishes.. but that's not true, above is what IS true. Be the person who loves facts not the person who loves wishing things were facts. :)

Oh I forgot.. Unfinished Trifectas!
    (all classes)

Lantern:
    GL Controller
    RL Tank
    ?? no healer

Pet:
    Sorc Healer
    Earth Tank
    ?? no controller
  2. Gingatitsn New Player

Tech has gadgets pet class it has suppressor turret battle drone and holographic decoy
  3. Gingatitsn New Player

And that would losly be a controller pet class
  4. stärnbock Devoted Player

your characters mentor is not chosen by your characters powers.
    you get assigned to the mentor based of the source of your power.
    and that decission is made by your imagination of the powers source.

this is how i see the powers comming from:

meta is everything developed by genetic mutation or training.
    tech is everything created and used as an artificial enhancrment.
    magic is everything drawing power from somewhere or something,

this is how i see them fit from best to least:

mental: meta, magic goes well, hard to imagine as tech
    quantum: tech, meta goes well, hard to imagine as magic
    atomic: tech, meta goes well, hard to imagine as magic
    water: magic, meta goes well, hard to imagine as tech
    fire: magic, meta, tech (fits all well)
    ice: magic, meta, tech (fits all well)
    rage: tech, magic goes well, hard to imagine as meta
    light: tech, magic goes well, hard to imagine as meta
    electro: magic, meta, tech (fits all well)
    nature: magic, meta goes well, hard to imagine as tech
    earth: magic, meta goes well, hard to imagine as tech
    munitions: tech, magic goes well, hard to imagine as meta
    gadgets: tech, meta goes well, hard to imagine as magic
    celest: magic, hard to imagine as meta or tech
    sorcery: magic, hard to imagine as meta or tech

as you can see, i connect most with magic first....
  5. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Turret isn't the same as Sorcery/Guardian/Watcher/Fury and Earth/Brick/Crystal now is it?
    Turret can't DPS or Tank.. can't PoT Heal or do anything useful like the other pets.. BUT saying that if the devs fixed it.. yes I'd totally give you that.
    Did you know he explodes now? you don't get to keep him? wow.

Basically Turret is: a flying potato.

Starn.. I get what you're saying but it's not *really* in the spirit of what I was saying eh? :)

How anyone gets a Meta Sorcery player from their mentor.. hehe like you said 'hard to imagine'. so if one is false they all are false.. dig me man? :)
  6. Gingatitsn New Player

Yeah get what you mean about suppressor turret that's why I said losly pet clas there is definitely more they could do with it you can sort of tank with it if you use distract or stealth with white stealth mod and you can use holographic decoy to hold aggro and then you got battle drone for pot and shield
    • Like x 1
  7. DankestEdgeLord New Player

Damn, what an ego.
    Seriously what makes any of what you said true? How is ice tech while fire is meta? If they're facts then you should be able to provide definitive evidence to support you statement. The fact is the powers we use are inspired by DC legends, they are not carbon copies.
    Nature for example has plant creation and shape-changing, these are inspired by Posion Ivy and Beast Boy, we can do both but while neither of the Nature based legends can.

Point is are powers are our own, their source is whatever you make of it, Ice can be meta by freezing water molecules in the air or magic by manipulating the mana present in the environment.

I really don't see the big deal either way manipulating molecules/ moving earth with your thoughts/ or using a ring to turn emotions into a near indestructible helicopter that can fire energy bullets. It all sounds likes magic to me.
  8. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Hi Dankest.. starn already made those points man.

ego? wow you're full of honey for a first meet! no need to be rude to me, just present the facts and all will fall into place.

I grouped them by their original inspiration, how is this wrong, other than your opinion? which you failed to notice in the OP I was already unhappy with.

IF YOU feel that you're happy with your RP.. I want you to be happy..

BUT.. I wasn't and voiced that.
  9. SigmaAtom Committed Player

I totally think about Turret Tanking like Guardian everytime i'm on Gadgets.. Guardian is an amazing Tank, why Turret isn't already this also; you got me stumped.

Make Drone like Watcher* and BAM! Third pet powerset complete.

*not supercharge and permanent. power-healz not healz.
  10. Gingatitsn New Player

In the spirit of role play you could pick water power and pretend your a blue lantern healer
    • Like x 1
  11. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Erm.. that wouldn't work for me like I said, but it felt mean to say, besides the Team have most of the Lantern Healer powerset in the NPC Carol Ferris in Love & War raid.

please see: [HERE]
  12. Darkstahr69 New Player

As far as DC canon goes anything can work:

Mento (form Doom Patrol) get's his mental abilities from a tech helmet he created. Also Mysterio's (Marvel) illusions are all technological in nature.

Abra Kadabra - uses tech to simulate magic.

If those extremes exist - you can justify anything you want in your personal head canon.

If I were making a Blue Lantern homage - I'd go with Celestial. While not 'blue' in color the powers seem close to what a Blue Lantern would have. Water would work too. Really - the game is so flexible you can do just about anything.
  13. Boom Burst New Player

My mentor is Wonder Woman (magic) and my power is Quantum. Quantum as Magic can be possible. Think MCU Doctor Strange. He can pretty much manipulate time and space.