Mental DPSing (PVE)

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Jockin Jay, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

I am currently Hard Light dps. But Mental seems to interest me, is there any guide for Mental dps on pve? I know mental rocks on PVP but I'm still focusing on PVE first.

Any suggestions? :D
  2. Welcome2TheNhk New Player

/powers section
  3. Singlemaltkiller New Player

go with the illusion tree exclusively when building a PVE DPS loadout. I find that the PI make it pretty beast playing it this way.
  4. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

Woops sorry bout that, I hope this gets moved :D
  5. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

6. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

7. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

Mental DPS about to blow up.
    ive been Mental Trolling exclusively since beta, but now that Menace will clip.... sh---- yeah.
    If somehow they can fix Invisibility transformation lag then Mental dps will be set.
  8. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

9. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

Please...tell me moaar. I dunno anything bout mental. But a lot of peeps talking about "Menace"

Edit: So this means it would be a great time to switch to Mental?
  10. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

It would be a good time, yes. It's gonna be widely different from what you're about to experience though.

Telekinesis Tree is like the advanced class. You either need to undertake a whole lot of effort keeping opponents dazed via Mass Levitation, or you'll have to time your powers so that everytime the tank or troll uses a CC effect, that's when you'll hit your power. Done right, Mental can potentially give you the most damage per power used (bar HL's power regeneration through combos). Done wrong, and you're essentially using a power with no interactions whatsoever. Of course, you could also pick on TK powers for DoTs alone (Thought Bubble and Pyrokinesis), which works well with or without interactions. In any case, unless well-coordinated with your team or if an Earth toon spams Tectonic Break all day, you're not gonna have a consistent damage output. TK powers shine on PvP though as helplessness through block/interrupt/blockbreak counters can happen frequently.

Illusions Tree is far easier to use and is where you'll find Menace in. It also excels in beating the crap out of grouped adds, except maybe Psychic Resonance destroying encasements. You have to choose your poison for inflicting terror though:

Terror Tendrils creates three slow moving projectiles that can miss and go to a direction you don't want it to go. On the flip side, it doesn't split damage and spreads terror quite easily. It also makes quick work of objects so if you have a mission objective revolving destroying certain items, this is an excellent power to use.

Mass Terror is more reliable and more powerful but if there are more than eight enemies in its range, you might not get the particular group you want to kill. It also has stacking issues with another Mental toon using the same power.

Terrorize is interruptible, a single target power and expensive to use. It's also a finisher which also happens to debuff in Control Role, panic the target and inflict terror for interactions, which are all strange for a finisher. Used with Menace though and it has amazing capabilities to kill high HP targets.
    • Like x 1
  11. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

also important note about the current state of Mental is how much the new Tact Mods have improved things.
    Both Mass Levi and Terrorize are vastly improved options with Enduring Damage and Empowered Channeling respectively.

Add to that the fact Menace will now be labeled a 'support' power and can be used to clip attack powers... and things are good, but won't be 100% until Invisibilty Lag is fixed.
    • Like x 1
  12. MentalBuddha Well-Known Player

Mental is amazing if played correctly. It can be a power hog but if played right and positioned correctly mental is beast. Also now that menace can clip even more deadly. I am happy I have been mental since launch and have not and will not give up on it. Thank you devs now please fix invisibility!
    • Like x 3
  13. Palus New Player

I can't wait to see what mental can further do with the updated menace, for far too long other power sets have been at an advantage with damage out because menace was unclippable. I agree Tk Pusha that once invisibility is 100% fixed then we will really see Mental really taking flight, of course that will be the beginning the golden age will be when the telekinesis tree gets fixed, lol.
  14. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

I'll see if GU23 would convince me into switching to mental :D
  15. Joybird Committed Player

I'm looking forward to playing some more dps on my controller. The Menace change is huge. On trash right now, by the time I've cast Menace and my PI, stuff is often dead. It's great on bosses, but on trash, it's a real problem. That's a lot of time wasted.
  16. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

What's PI?
  17. Joybird Committed Player

"Power Interactions". I use Mass Terror, which splits terribly, to set up fear for Phantom Flames, Psychic Shock and Menace. So, I would cast, Menace, Mass Terror and then start doing real damage, but by then, most things would be dead.
  18. Kroye Loyal Player

Has anyone had made much use of the R&D Terror consumables to set up the PI? Do they make a noticeable impact in your dps over the course of a whole raid?
  19. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Mass Terror is still very powerful. Hit that and clip it with menace and you're getting HUGE menace hits. Sure it splits and splits a lot, but there's usually not too much stuff around you don't want to kill =). As to joybird, always MT before menace. Personally I'm going to start thinking of it as one button =). Only time I won't MT/menace is when i Tendrils/menace in pvp.
  20. thoughtpatern New Player

The ampuole of terr or and the daze device are sweet. Not only does it give the pi it does a decent little prec. Based damage. Also the amp of terror will panic enemies and I think stun. Daze stuns. I personally use the III models. Never hurts to have a easy low cost no power pi setup that can clip anything! Esp useful for me when using the to tree as the daze effect seems to last maybe 6-8 seconds or a little over the cool down for the device. I like to mass terror clip menace psyflame lunge combo daze device then roll out (if using a 60%er) or stay in the pocket and blast off a pyrokenesis. This can all happen fast but if u have the power to pull it off and u don't get interrupted the next rotation will hit crazy hard with the mass terror at 60%