Massive layoffs at DC comics reported.

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by MsTickle Fate, Aug 11, 2020.

1. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Etc.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-layoffs-reportedly-a-bloodbath/amp/
    • Like x 1
  2. Leeerooy Well-Known Player

Rofl two ewe referenced a Alfred Hitchcock movie. “Bloodbath” Lies The Justice League in the early 2yk had it all and still failed The fact these people still managed to live out a dream to do career that they passion for and not had to settle for low salaries in the process won’t be getting pity from the majority anytime soon. The days of going to the Hallmark store at the nearby mall or downtown and reading five comics and purchasing one are long gone pfft I was in a borders store over twenty years and a magazine book was over twenty five dollars. AT & T in three to five years will swallow up Amazon while they drown in class action lawsuits and criminal lawsuits with International Paper Company. Gaylord container will be empty and Hammerhill will be synonymous with 3M and a lithograph muhhaaa little entert. Well tyke 2 day trade adios DC Comics should be outsourced to big blue in Europe so everyone can enjoy...
  3. Magnificent Loyal Player

4. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

5. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

:(
    yeah, saw the article/news and watched some content related to the topic.
  6. myandria Item Storage

• Like x 1
  7. DCUO Post Loyal Player

I blame the JL Snyder's Cut. They will probably exceed the 30M budget. Its sad the layoffs couldn't have happened after DC Fandome.
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Stepping back and looking at things from a distance, I don't know if there would have been a good time at all for layoff announcements. If they had waited until after it would have brought into doubt what sort of future the projects they announced would have, especially when it comes to the comics themselves. But doing it beforehand puts a nasty little cloud over anything they ARE going to announce, even if it does help them temper expectations a bit.

As for the Snyder cut? Every new reveal just makes me shake my head and say, "He still doesn't get it." I really hope it's what the fans were clamoring for, but it just doesn't look good to me.
  9. The Jeff Well-Known Player

DC Is facing an uphill battle on every front. Marvel movies dominate DC movies at the box office. With Disney's streaming service a powerhouse right now, all other streaming services are suffering customer losses and getting more powerful as Disney buys more properties. Printed comics are suffering thanks to the Covid restrictions as people don't get to just hang out at their preferred store as much if at all. Comic stores are facing the same problems as all other small businesses right now. Graphic novels are hitting the same problems as all other books. With online marketplaces like Amazon's Kindle store, printed books are dying and the profit margin on books in general is lower. DC is getting hit in damn near every market they're in.

Probably gonna get hate for this but the best thing for DC would be for Disney to buy it and give it the same treatment they did Marvel studies or Lucas Arts. It's been a megasuccess for Marvel. Star Wars, despite the mediocre movies, has made bank under Disney and had great success with the Mandalorian and other series.
  10. McSipp New Player

yeah i absolutely disagree as i HATE Disney for cruining SW..
    Kathleen Kennedy went rogue... Disney knows SW Seuqles only made couple hundred millions when it shoulda made couple billions.. FACT!
    90% of the fans who were super nerd fans we're over 20 or 30 etc & They we're super pised off at the treatment of Luke & how lame everything was.. Esp the 2nd movie..
    Disney is not a good company like they we're in the 90"s & before...
    Look what they did with the STARwARS gAMING lICENSE.
    They gave it to EA knowing EA is the most sinister of em all..worse then even Activision...
    Disney knew this waaay better then fans & gamers as they have inside resources..
    **it's no surprise that EA butchered & micro tranactioned StarWars & delivered 1 cool game.
    in 7 years!!!

As far as DC they did the same mistake that most are doing~ going woke & wondering why nobody is buying it..
    The problem with identity politics is the angry woke mob doesn't actually buy products..
    Betsthing to do is just ignore it totally and kee p doing what works..
    AT+T bought DC correct?
    Disney is way more popular then Marvel and should be blowing Marvel away.
    But Marvel won the big screen(ugh)
    But without the awesome IronMan actor they aren't as great..
    And at some point he's gonna demand too much or just want to spend his billions..lol

I want all comics to be awesome again...
  11. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

As much as I love the programs DC Universe had to offer the website itself was a mess. constant lag and freezes. i couldnt open or move to another tab without it freezeing and needing to start the program back up from the start. even the comic book selection and how it read was awkward. I've seen pirate websites out there that worked better.

its a shame. ever since cable tv exploded wth hunreds of specialty channels i wished we could have a "comic book" channel and this was the closest thing to it i've seen.

i really hope titans and the doom patrol can live on for at least another season or two on hbo max.
  12. Controller Devoted Player

Dust of the MILESTONE Comics - unless it's too late already.

[IMG]

No need for contentious Identity Politics when your characters (Milestone) are already diverse with their OWN original stories and powers.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Revive / renew their comics (and the eventual merge into DC) and THEN bring these rich and originals Heroes, Heroines AND Villains to the Big Screen.

Do it right and you won't regret it.

Don't do it and Marvel will CONTINUE to wipe the floor with you - especially if Blue Marvel comes to the Big Screen as rumored.
  13. The Jeff Well-Known Player

I'm not a fan of what they did to SW but it has made a lot of money and reinvigorated the franchise. Marvel was already doing okay but is now a juggernaut of money. Disney is a horrible company with horrible practices but they do keep the money train rolling. Money is what keeps the franchise going. I don't always like the direction but as long as it survives, there's hope for improvement.