Work In Progress Making Stats Matter: Removing CR Differential

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msstat1c Committed Player

Atomic tanks???? What stat directly effects the aura?
  2. Elite DamageX Well-Known Player

Finally, now all the time, hard work of grinding those SP, gear and making the best mods will pay off again. This will again allow a players hard work to shine!
    • Like x 1
  3. Remander Steadfast Player

No, that won't work. They would have to periodically increase them, as they have in the past. With stat inflation, like we had pre-GU 47, static stat boosts will diminish in value over time. Look at it this way. Before GU 47, our stats were doubling roughly every 10-12 CR. From then to now, we would have experienced about 3 more doublings of stats in the old system. That's right--doublings. That means some of our stats would be pushing 40-50k at CR 152. Looking at my old numbers (https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...ive-cr-scaling-what-the-heck-are-they.249944/), which only included partial gear, Might was around 4k with item level 97 gear. Three doublings would drive that up to around 32k! Now, can you see that SP will matter even less? You might say, hey they could just lower the values. Well, starting might in the old system was around 500. Precision was only a couple hundred. Can't drop much below that. Well, how about making the inflation less severe? Then, how do we maintain the same feel of getting more powerful, as we gear up? That's why we had to have CR Differential paired with Stat Flattening!

Listen, folks. I comes down to this. You don't fix a broken system with another broken system. Pre-GU 47 was not all sunshine and lollipops. There were major issues then. Going back will not fix those issues. The better approach, IMO, would be to fix the implementation of CR Differential. It's never been right. Shiny Mackerel spent what I expect was days testing it and showing the flaws in the system. It's not a smooth scalar. You'll have places where multiple CR increases have little effect and other places where one CR will make a huge difference. There are places where increasing CR actually makes you weaker. Some of that was patched, but he repeated testing after the patch and found many issues persisted (https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...t-into-the-cr-differential-adjustment.256782/).

CR Differential is not a bad system. It's very elegant in concept. The problem is and always has been implementation. They need to apply it evenly and methodically, rather than using the patchwork mess we're currently experiencing. Keeping the stats flatter means SP boosts and mods are actually more valuable. Going back to the old system will make them less so, not more so. It's simple math.

I would recommend the Devs fix CR Differential, then restructure SP and mods to make them more important. I just fail to see how their planned approach solves anything.
    • Like x 24
  4. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

That should be the OP. This is what should be done. This needs more likes
    • Like x 6
  5. Phill Committed Player

OMG really, LOL...... This is not great work. This has not been implemented yet this is just the ideas staged. This is the first step towards fixing things in the game that are ...................NOT WORKING...............

COLA BUFFS, TRINKETS, GEAR MODS and anything else that buffs STATS. Players are so short sighted to think that anything has changed? It has not and will not until this is put on live. I could care less about SP because SP is 25% of the stats. You guys are worried about 25% and blindly MISSED the other 75% that was broke as a two dollar hooker on Sunday's. TOTALLY INEPT players that cannot see the whole picture.
  6. Reaper501 Well-Known Player

This should be the real approach. Nice analysis.
    • Like x 4
  7. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I don't understand what you're going off about, were all well aware it has not been implemented yet.
    • Like x 2
  8. Kuroki Honoo Committed Player

you can only use 24sp for 1 role inside of a tree.
    Say I'm a controller:
    i can go down and get the vit and power and crit pow inside of a tree. after 21 points, i can get the vit/pow at the bottom for a total of 24 sp used. When I do that for 11 trees, there are no more sources to get vit and power from sp wise. I can go into health/prec/maybe dom/ something along those lines, but all of those are secondary stats. My primary stat of getting vit and/or pow will be capped at 264sp.
  9. KEN_Oracle_of_Delphi Well-Known Player

That's true, so dam true. Seriously, very soon elitists will have 200cr / 300sp.... Now, for a beginning player, I would think that to be extremely discouraging having to be a noob for more than 4 years before catching up (unless they play 15 hours out of the day for maybe 2 years nonstop whilst spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars in the process, which isn't practical) .....
    • Like x 3
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

At the risk of going off-topic a bit, that does bring up the challenges players without leagues are going to be facing in that regard.

To put it bluntly, the community has been less-than-stellar in terms of outreach and actually helping other players. Now while it doesn't help that some lower level/CR/SP players think "helping" means "carry me through the content," the "find your own group/it's not my job" folks aren't helping matters at all either, especially when some of them are the first to complain about the lower CR/SP players in content.

Until players start reaching out to help or the devs institute a helper program of some kind (SWG's program involved players taking a HELPER tag and volunteering their time), this will probably continue to be an issue.
  11. Purin New Player

It would probably become one of the most fairest changes in the game. The more time and effort you put in to the game the more reward you receive in return thus having a stronger character. Taking time to actually doing more on each tier wields more gear obtained and feats accomplished. If a person just plays a few hours every day in the long run they will have a stronger character (toon) with high stats. And with this change in making stats matter again watching your character grow will become very satisfying. In the end, the players who just like the DC lore will stick around because they like the lore and having a game that let's you play in the DC world with characters that you created, plainly put pretty awesome.
    • Like x 1
  12. loupblanc Dedicated Player

Cannot edit quotes easily while acessing the forum on my phone.

I did make a similar post, questioning on whether all this coding and testing will be worth it.

Maybe someone can provide mathematical proofs to show that the CR differential is superior. By proofs, I don't mean providing evidence by testing, but mathematical proofs seen in university level mathematics and above.
  13. iNDi sh3ik New Player

really dont wont to see this as the end result. Would the majority of new or casual players even want to spend their time feat hunting?
  14. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

15. Roocck Committed Player

So be it, I actually want to see how many players will stick around if this change happens. I can easily spend $100 to $130 a month on replay badges trying to keep up with the cr, gear and mods. I would think that my money is as good in DCUO. As much as I like be this game I will be one hell f those players that will take my money elsewhere. I hope that this change won't happen and that the dev and community can up with another option.
  16. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I currently have 106 skill points and trying to get more is impossible, I get feats like one every month or two. . I think you are making a BIG Mistake
  17. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I currently have 106 skill points and trying to get more is impossible, I get feats like one every month or two. I do not have any mentors or anyone to help me to find feats and getting them on my own is very difficult when I do not know where to look. Trust me, I have read and studied every article, website, and everything I can get my hands on to learn where to find feats. I have no one to help. I think you are making a BIG Mistake. I cannot understand how I see some people in-game have over 200 skill points. It just does not make sense. Where are they getting them from? Please do not change it, keep it the way it is.
  18. Tygerfyre Committed Player

It's not impossible. You need to look over the available feats, and pick off the ones that are easier to get from the ones that are grinds designed to take years.

Between the ones in Solo, Explore, Seasonal, and LPVE, you should be able to get a 1-2 a week just from those if you're missing any in there.

Start playing content specifically to get feats instead of hoping to trip on them. Make groups in LFG for the feats that are doable in one run.

Focus on the oldest content, since it's likely to be the easiest place to get combat-related feats like speedruns, beating the boss without using health, or similar feats.

Figure out which styles you need to get the style feats knocked off and play content where those styles drop. Pick up what you can from the vendor gear style vendor, since those are relatively cheap in terms of marks.
    • Like x 1
  19. Dead13 Well-Known Player

Super! but dont take it too long... And we have to change statistics of superpowers. May be some stats from SP will affect to one of the two branches of power, and make difference way of damaging, for example, Earth powers, cant do anything without pet, in fact you becoming the pet of your break. Hope. that my bad english, would make it harder to understand
  20. SSeid Committed Player

Mepps stated something about large numbers coming back.. that would be a disaster. I get what you are saying but I don't see how this system that awards priority to CR can be fixed to include SP and mods.
    Of course judging from past behavior but also from the OP I see this being another short-sighted change. When Mepps says that SP and mods talk is not relevant you know this will be another Titanic.

But I agree the only way to make Mods and SP more useful is to reduce gear stats ( by at least 50% ) they need to be a considerable boost to your base stats otherwise they will never truly be useful. Now we have about 11K base might, a bit over 2K coming from mods and SP combined, it is meaningless. The analogy should be more like 2.5k base 1k mods 1.5k SP.
    Although it would seem their idea is to inflate gear stats, hence the big numbers comeback comment.

The problem with CR differential is that it creates a predetermined cap. Players are not restricted by their abilities but by an arbitrary system that has decided that anything that is 20+ levels over you will be impossible to kill. This part of CR differential is not elegant at all, quite the opposite.

I suppose the best way for them to do this is to make a hybrid of the 2 systems. Remove the CR cap but at the same time keep a neat central control system that allows for quick fixes and adjustments when it inevitably bugs out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.