Making PvP great again!

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Yom, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Yom New Player

Hi again (2nd post - keeping quiet since 2015),

After encountering a few players in Legends that were using some super-speed-hit hack that killed anyone instantly, I had the chance to ask one of them why did he do it, and he simply replied that he could not win without it. I asked him also if it was fun, he replied with a :\
    Another player in a 2v2 Arena stopped playing after he was killed the first time (just getting out of the spawn area to avoid being kicked out), he told me he was not a PvP person and just wanted the PvP styles.

I am still a fan of PvP and these ideas may help all people enjoy PvP, whether they are "PvP persons" or not.

Instances Rewards

Valor Marks

After each instance the amount would be automatically calculated according to a formula similar to this:

Code:
    (Damage / 500) + [(Captures + Assists) * 2 | 0]

For Safehouses the formula could be adapted to this:
    Code:
    (Damage / 2000) + (Teleporting the item or freeing a prisoner * 50)

This means, for example:
    • 20,000 damage, 5 captures and 10 assists in a point capture map = 70 valor marks
    • 50,000 damage, 2 captures in a safehouse = 125 valor marks
    • 100,000 damage in a deathmatch = 200 valor marks
    If a team wins the instance, 100 extra marks would be given to all in that team.

Legends Marks

Certain maps could provide double/triple marks if played with specific characters. Examples:
    • Batcave 2v2: Harley & Joker VS Robin & Batman
    • Temple of Isis: Doctor Fate & Captain Marvel VS Felix Faux & Black Adam
    • Shadowlands: Wonder Woman VS Circe
    • FOS: Lex Luthor VS Superman
    The "VS" part would actually place the player on a specific team, for example, if Robin is chosen, it would be automatically placed in the heroes side in Batcave.

This would avoid people to choose a specific character every time (OP Catwoman) and, especially, would encourage players to buy new characters!
    In the character's selection pane, a description could be provided with the list of maps related to the selected character.

Dividing the maps by type ("On duty" tabs)

As the tier division exists in PvE maps in each "On duty" tab, a PvP division could be created according to the type of map:
    • Deathmach (e.g.: Temple of Isis, Belle Reve, Watchtower)
    • Point capturing (e.g.: Shadowlands, Moon, Arkham, Australia)
    • Point defending (requires a player to remain on the point, e.g.: Batcave)
    • Capture the flag (this would be the old Moon map where players needed to carry the stone to their base)
    • Lairs
    • Safehouses & Headquarters (due to their PvE content)
    Larger maps priority and rewards

If a player queues for several maps, the larger maps (e.g. 8v8) could be given priority through these methods:
    1. Queue first and immediately for these maps and delay 30 seconds (background wait) the creation of a smaller map queue;
    2. Inform the player about how many are queued to a big map when a smaller map instance is ready, giving the option to "Enter" the latter or "Wait" for the former in the pop-up (instead of "OK" and "Cancel"). If the "Wait" is chosen, another delay is created to the smaller maps.
    3. Similar to scrimmage, even if there are not enough players to initiate a 8v8 map, the empty spaces could be filled with NPC heros/villains if there are at least 4 players in each team. Other players could still join that map and the respective NPC would be automatically removed.
    The chance of causing more damage in larger maps is greater, therefore if the reward is proportional to it (formulas above), more people would play in them.

In Headquarters and Safehouses, if an NPC hero/villain is knocked out, the player could receive immediately, for example, 5 marks. This would let people enjoy more the map, instead of getting frustrated for not achieving the team's goal as fast as they could. Many still wonder what is the goal in the Safehouses and seem perplexed why sometimes it finishes so fast.

Add League Halls to PvP maps

Similarly to Lairs, they could be simply Deathmatches, where feats could be associated to them (defending your league X times) and would be a way for players to care more about their league content.

Ring War / Diamond Heist Rewards

Since there are vendors of PvP armor in the HQ, these temporary vendors could sell instead exclusive PvP base items for 10,000 marks each.
    These items would be different, for example, a Legends NPC that once placed in a base would:
    • fight back if attacked, but would only follow the player for a short distance. Knocking it out would give 1 mark of valor.
    • when the player interacts with it (E), the player would become that Legend character for a couple of minutes. If another player duels and wins a transformed player, this could give 10 marks.
    This would bring players back to Bases or League Halls more often, making them more lively and providing a reason to visit different leagues' halls (players would purchase more items overall).
    It would also encourage players to buy more bases or items in general to make them look more appealing.

Diamond Heist
    • each captured diamond = 1 mark (low rewards avoid exploits)
    • removing the other team's diamonds from the van = 5 marks
    • winning = 100 marks
    Ring War
    • each charged lantern = 2 marks
    • winning = 50 marks (half of Diamond Heist's marks, since it's much faster to win this war)
    Automatically kicking hackers / inactive players

Automatic triggers could be used to solve this problem. Examples:
    • causing damage over 50,000 in less than 1 minute;
    • not causing enough damage, healing out, capturing or defending any point in 1 minute.
    If an auto-kick occurs in a 2v2 map, the other player could be given the option to leave without penalty.

Getting real money from PvP

Besides the incentive given by PvP base items and extra rewards for using specific Legends characters in certain maps (mentioned above), purchasable content may be created:

Siege maps "episode"

The goal is to capture or prevent capturing the opposing team's base in a PvE map.

This is different from PvP HQ in the sense that only certain map-related characters could be used and as long as there are at least 2 players, the instance could be initiated.
    More players could always join while the instance is active (no limit?). The map would end when the time is over or the conquering team defeats the last boss. With existing maps (e.g. Area 51, Gorilla, Oolong's island, etc.), a player would spawn respectively:
    • As a defender: Braniac, Gorilla, Robot, etc. (randomly chosen... or not)
    • As an attacker: soldier, commander, technician (healing tech devices), etc.
    • A knockout would automatically spawn the player into another character (without the knockout period).
    • When a team reaches a certain amount of damage or knocked out enemies, the opposing team would be granted with a more powerful character or even a boss for balancing purposes (randomly given to a player upon knockout... or chosen in a character's list).
    • When the attackers defeat a boss, players would automatically be teleported to or spawn in the next location.
    The reward would consist in Marks of Victory for each boss defeated (defenders get those marks if the boss doesn't die), and Marks of Valor for each opposing player's character knocked out.

One of these options could place these maps in the "On duty" tabs:
    • a new tab could be created for these;
    • several existing maps could have another checkbox (near the ready button) to be played in this "siege" mode;
    • a division could be created in the "Events" tab for them, making them even more popular.
    Title disclaimer: I'm not running for POTUS, I just believe these will truly make PvP much more popular, enjoyable and... "great again".
    • Like x 4
  2. Aqua Surge Loyal Player

I haven't read all of this but the capture points need a revamp. Ace Chemicals makes no sense. The tanks take forever to die and be stalling on the point to the point it's always white. The other team will always hold a point if this happens. I been in games where we kept killing the same 3 people over and over and over again. I had 15 kills and it didn't help us win the the game at all. We're still doing the objective of keeping them off our point. We should be getting defense points or kills should increase our scores back up instead of decreasing all the time.

PVP needs a revamp.

Oh, Pro tip. If you encounter a PVP league and they are all jump you just to win the games and you always lose a game just for going against them. Add on of them to ignore and you'll never que with against that group again. Trust me, it saves you time and you will faces others and win more more. PVP leagues have no skill and need to jump you just to win.

I faced a PVP league today and they could never kill me 1v1 or 1v2. They need to 1v3 or 1v4 me to beat me. I'm an Electric Battle Healer and mod with Restoration and Power Expert VI.

The more Rest you have, the more you heal. The more power you have, the more you can heal and do damage. The skill points will help you might so no need to use Might mods. The longer you live equals the more damage you do and restoration and power does that. I've seen players run out of power 1v1 or 1v2 against me. I will kill them before they could even kill me due to survivability. Doesn't work when 3 or 4 people gang up on you though.

Another thing I like to see changed is when their are more than two roles on a team. 2 healers in a 4vs4 and the team with the 2 healers will end up winning. It's a very hard fight.