Light - Fan - Why is this channeled?

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Zhouz, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Zhouz Well-Known Player

So Fan, in the Assault tree for Light powers. This power is the subject of much contention due to the recent changes to jump cancelling. However, I would like to bring up a different critique on fan.

Channeled. There are lots of superpowers across the different power sets that are channeled.
    Pre-GU36 all of these powers are not possible to clip with other powers, trinkets, or consumables. The only way to abort out of the channeling animation for these is to jump. Jumping, pre 36, would immediately interrupt the power and put you into the jumping animation.

Some of them are finishers (increased damage when your opponent is below 35% health), some of them have 60% multipliers, some of them tick several times through the full lengh of the channeling, some of them are back loaded to where you must wait til the very end of the channeled animation before you get the reward (damage).

Fan is not like any of these. Fan does not tick more than once. Fan does not apply a power interaction nor lingering DoT. It is not a 60% multiplier, and it does not do extra damage depending on the enemy's health.

Above all, the power is front loaded. All the damage occurs immediately- at the start of the power and is in the form of a single burst tick. After this initial burst, the remainder channeling animation for fan is basically a time-penalty with no benefit attached to allowing the anim to continue, since the damage happened all right at the start with it's single tick of damage. What's the point?
    • Like x 7
  2. Radium Devoted Player

In reality, after this update hits the channeled powers that weren't used before still won't get used after.
  3. Sore Steadfast Player

It's as if a channel needs to be a finisher, DoT or have major risk/reward damage to be worthwhile. Powers like Roar just don't make any sense to me. Especially being vulnerable to interrupt against mostly melee-happy NPCs. Even if it's safe, the damage per second isn't worth it. I won't even go into the low damage modifier. I wouldn't mind a lecture on the design principles in mind.
    • Like x 6