Lair PvP: Possible Missed Opportunity

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Xeranx, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Xeranx New Player

I find myself disappointed with how lair 1 versus 1 pvp is limited to level 30. I think this would have been the best way to introduce new players to pvp, especially considering the fact that you give them access to a base at level 10. Why can't people have one on one lair battles around the same time that they have access to regular arenas and why can't they not be structured the way arena matches are structured currently with level grades determining who fights against whom?

For many people, considering how long it takes to actually get into an arena match pre-level 30 if you can find one, they will almost never see a pvp match. Then there's the added frustration with getting into an arena match at level 30 and finding yourself so ill-suited for it. The amount of grinding that would have to be done just to become competitive is enough to make people steer clear. For the checkmate and other pieces there, I have made my peace with not ever getting them. Yes I get a few pieces of gear I can buy with marks from legends pvp, but that's for particular pieces I feel look good on my character. I buy them and then destroy them as I don't find myself doing arenas at any time when chances are i can be wholly outmatched. Having at least three people hammering me equipped with t3 gear...i just make note of how fast the color on my screen goes from vibrant to almost black/white.

Now, I haven't spoken to many people about this, but this is exactly my position. For the entire list of arena matches that are there, I have seen none of them for at least a year save the two or three lair matches I tried today. I really believe that lair pvp could have done something in terms of giving people from level 10 and up some method of actually engaging in pvp. I think it would be better than regular duels because you don't need to be worried about the other person wearing pvp armor and thus nullifying your damage if you're using a pve weapon. It would also (probably) do away with the constant duel rejections that some might get again and again.

I read another thread discussing possible duel feats being attached to lair pvp. I wouldn't mind it. Sure it would make it easier to get the feats (may be another way of introducing players to the feat system towards getting skill points), but would that be so bad? Now this is just an aside to better integrate players into more of what's available in DCUO and maybe wet their whistle, so to speak, so that they start paying attention to the many ways to improve their playing and their characters for their enjoyment.

I'm just throwing and idea out there, but I honestly believe that the lair pvp, as it currently stands, is a missed opportunity. Consider this: Until DCUO I generally hate PvP. I do legends on almost a regular basis, but if you made it so that I wouldn't have to do pvp to get some styles in the game, I'd drop it. I have some fun with it sometimes. You did yourself no favors with the new legends additions you did without buffing the older characters where they needed it as far as I'm concerned (ex: every new legends character using flight and less than half of the launch characters have the ability to outright ground players - catwoman, batman, bane after supercharges, and possibly nightwing).

Anyway, those are my thoughts. The thread is long. Didn't mean it to be, but I couldn't help it. I don't offer tl;drs. =)
  2. The Eagle New Player

I've got your back
    tl;dr I hate that people out gear me so I destroy the pvp gear pieces I manage to obtain.

Okay, that was mean, but if that were the case, everyone would just pvp from 20-30 and stomp more than 2/3rds of the people they came into contact with. Besides, the grind itself has been very consistent these past two years. I remember when it required seemingly countless wins just for what is not pvp t1. Now anyone with one of two dlcs can work on two pvp sets simultaneously.
  3. Yallander Loyal Player

The leveling experience in this game is extremely short (only a week if you are playing just a few hours daily.) I don't think there is much need for providing PVP geared specifically for under 30 players when 99% are lvl 30. This is another example of how a lobby system could be used imo. Anyone can setup matches against whoever they want with whatever parameters they desire.
  4. Xeranx New Player

There's very little pvp gear for those under level 30. At level 10 to level 29 you only get access to rings, neck, shoulders, head, and a weapon if I remember correctly. Each Arena has a kind of tier system: 10-15/16, 16-23, and 24-29. During that time you're not able to equip whole sets of pvp gear. You only have what I mentioned earlier available.

I look at lair pvp as a possible avenue to do the same thing regular arenas does, but one on one. Rather than have to get accustomed to everything all at once, people can see how they measure up themselves against others. It'd probably be less frustrating than doing straight arenas on many fronts, one of which being the fact that you can wait in an arena queue for hours before getting the F1 symbol.

@Eagle your tl;dr would be apt if that's actually how I felt about it. I just don't like that there's no tier system much like there is for regular arenas. I just don't offer tl;drs because I took the time to make the post. When someone does the same I'll read it if I feel I'm interested. If I think it's too long, I'll just leave it alone rather than post tl;dr. *shrug* That's just me. =)
  5. Yallander Loyal Player

I've taken many a toon while leveling and obtained enough marks to buy nearly a full set of T2 gear. One friend did enough legends to buy a full set of T3 as soon as he hit 30. My point is that 10-30 is such a short duration that investing time to focus on a very small portion of the community like you are asking would be lost since once a player hits lvl 30 it is no longer applicable. If the level grind in this game took longer then I might be more inclinded to agree.

--YZ
  6. Xeranx New Player

Well, even with the length of time I've spent with this game I'm not sure what t2 or t3 pvp gear really is. Nevertheless, my argument is that regardless of how short the span is from level 10 to 30, aspects of the game should not be cordoned off only so people with level 30 characters have a chance at it. R&D, despite how ill conducive it is to participate in before end game, allows people to combine exobits and mod gear as soon as they hit level 10. I believe that those with level 10 characters should similarly be able to participate in 1 on 1 fights in their lairs since they're granted the ability to obtain a base once they hit level 10. I would even go on to say that they should be able to have 1 on 1 lair fights at such a stage because it's dependent on the dlc.

When Last Laugh was released, no one was gated from being able to use a shield from the start. Granted legends characters introduced with that dlc were gated until one hit level 30, but then again, there wasn't such an imbalance as there is now. If you're saying that legends play is a viable option for the developers to not open up lair pvp for those under level 30, then I can also say that legends pvp has been thrown out of whack with the new characters and I touched on the trouble I see with that earlier. Every single new legends character is a flying type for one. Robin doesn't have an outright ground ability to balance things out and I'm not sure how many have witnessed flying characters flying out of range so that it's hard to focus on them with the camera. In addition to that, in order to stun such a character with Robin, you have to jump to do it.

There's so much that's off with pvp as it exists. I think Lair pvp could have been the one area where regular (and possibly fair) play could happen.