Is there going to be anything done about artifacts/marketplace soon?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil, Feb 2, 2021.

1. NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil Level 30

Topic thread...

I've been thinking about how I could get arts leveled up on my main AND alts as well and I don't see a feasible plan that doesn't involve me spending copious amounts of money. Furthermore, there's other items on the marketplace that I would love to have as well, all of which involve spending huge amounts of money on Daybreak Cash as well.

If anything, I thought about most other games I play and in one of them I was able to earn the microtransaction currency and get literally everything I want from the game strictly by grinding. I pretty much kind of spend the same amount of time on this game right now as I do with the game I'm referring to, but I'm pretty much being told I can't have nice things just because when some of these things are even progression related and it's both very crass and offensive.

So my questions are as follows;
    - Are there any plans to do something like make Seals of Completion earnable in-game?
    - Is there going to be ways to earn DayBreak Cash in-game? (I'm sub, you don't need more money than sub + occasional purchases)
    - If no to #2, then can we make marketplace items that are bought with DBC tradable on something like the broker so that we can buy them for in-game cash?

For all the players who are about to come in here and be like "THEY WONT DO IT BECAUSE MONEY", just take it elsewhere. I don't wanna really deal with you in this thread, thanks. And yes, I've posted about arts in the past. Leave me alone.
    • Like x 1
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Uh-huh.

Well, as much as you don't want to hear it, if the devs are making money off of sales associated with Artifacts then they aren't going to be terribly inclined to make any changes in that regard.

And if you didn't want to hear that from others then perhaps you might want to consider sending a PM to Mepps or the dev team with your questions and thoughts. Once you hit that Post button you open yourself up to commentary and criticism from other folks in the forums and lose any real ability to control the conversation.
    • Like x 8
  3. NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil Level 30

I could come up with any number of ideas but I want to know I'd be taken seriously and not be a crockpot... Also, PM's a great way to not draw attention to the issue and be ignored by the recipient.

For all intents and purposes, I think you're absolutely right, but I've seen what the debates here look like and even participated in some of them. It doesn't matter in the end though because the other person wants to be right regardless of what being right actually means and it just clutters the thread and distracts from the point. I'm not interested in sanctimony as much as I am in playing DCUO.
  4. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

To be clear, your comparing a game where you can get everything free through the grind (i highly doubt it) to a game where thats not the case an using these 2 dif games with 2 dif structures an models to suggest this game can/should do the same. Also, you are requesting that your “open to the public post” not be discussed or countered in any way by the public?
    is that accurate?

Best of luck to you though i see no possible way to present an idea to the public for discussion and keep those who disagree from discussing.
    • Like x 4
  5. NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil Level 30

Yeah, some of this is actually affecting the progression of my characters, so I don't care anymore whether or not this is an apples and oranges style argument or anything of the sort. I'm here to play and I'd love to drop some money if I'm going to end up getting what I want but I'm not gonna spend that much money just to buy seals of completion, and literally spending my DBC on anything else feels like a waste and I HATE feeling that way.

EDIT: And since I'm bringing up the other game in this, and possibly unleashing one MORE thing I can't control in the process... Warframe was the game. Sod it, might as well. OH, and one more thing... Didn't approve of that particular dev team's politics anyways.
  6. Shalayah Committed Player

At the end of the day whether you like it or not. DC isn’t going to make moves that will negatively impact their sales it’s simple as that.
    • Like x 2
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I mean, technically, you can get (most) of it through grinding alone, but the sheer amount of time is insane.

I think the discussion regarding account bound or replay duplicatable artifacts is a more realistic thing to pursue, because it's not cutting the feet entirely out of the bottom line, but it is respecting the idea that players aren't just bank accounts with thumbs.

Also, not to be that guy, but you get more flies with sugar homie. Maybe drop the "I don't wanna hear it" next time, because that makes it seem more like theatrics or flouncing, as opposed to an active search for a real solution.
    • Like x 5
  8. NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil Level 30

What this is is P2W plain and simple, with a recognizable brand name. If they decide to pursue that lead, they're honestly out of their minds... To be honest, I don't even want to see these people do this to themselves because this is not only going to cause churn to the game but it's definitely going to tarnish their brand name by associating them with this shady stuff, and I personally think they can do better and deserve better.

I actually said I liked the fact that these arts basically eat up a dump truck's worth of nth in the late stages of their development because at the stage where I'm at, I have a column in my inventory full of nth that I can't do anything with.

As for your solution, I didn't want to talk solutions because I felt it fell into the trope of trying to debate something and my intention in posting this was to assess the forum landscape and throw the question out there to see the kind of response I get as a result. I was honestly a bit scared but at this point my outrage is slowly outweighing my fears.

As for the last paragraph, I do not know if I could have phrased it better or not, but everyone is exactly zero'ing in on that last paragraph and doing exactly what I didn't want them doing instead of shooting the rounds and trying to figure something out just like you did with that post. That's exactly what my last paragraph was warning against, but I will make an addendum to it to make things clear so that nobody in here goes off debating about nothing burgers.

Thanks though for the reply, your idea about replay badgeting artifacts is another cool one... If I could just do something crazy like buy seals of protection with 200 source marks though that'd be enough for me!
  9. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

You said you're a subscriber, right? Every month you get 500 loyalty points (or Daybreak Cash on PC, I think) as part of your sub. If you go to the first vendor in any police station/nightclub you can actually buy both types of seals using that currency. One seal of completion costs about 500, so you can buy one a month, or you can get 8 seals of preservation a month instead (I think....I can't remember the prices for those off the top of my head lol).

That's what I've been doing. Got about 20+ preservations stocked up in the bank now so I'm good for doing lvl 20-100 breakthroughs, and when I need a completion for a high level art, I'll just buy a seal when my points come in.

Admittedly, it's not ideal if you're working on multiple high level arts on multiple characters, but it's better than nothing
    • Like x 2
  10. NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil Level 30

Spotted! I went through the marketplace just now and noticed the Seal of Preservation pack! The price is just a little more than 1/3rd that of one Seal of Completion for 4 SOP's. At it's price, I can buy multiple which is a good start!

I like your strategy, it's not ideal for much other than rushing the seals at an early level but at least getting 80's on them is good... I'm kind of hampered in that regard though because I was considering renaming two of my toons in the near future AND I want to consider armories and possible inventory slots too... So the whole thing of hoarding DBC for a few months is a bit harder to me to do. It doesn't mean I won't try though! Thanks again for the advice! I'll keep it in mind!

And yeah... I'm sub and I'm in an alt-itis situation... Thanks again for your reply!
  11. CCPONCHO Well-Known Player

All they have to do is make things tradeable and it makes the process alot easier for players to level their arts up. That way you have multiple options on which route you want to take to level your arts up. The people that love to sell replays and catalysts would be selling seals and artifacts xp. So they will still be making money off the marketplace because people would be buying them and selling it in game.
    • Like x 1
  12. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Just clarifying that ur posting on an open forum yet expecting everyone to agree with you and not debate about lol moving along :)
    • Like x 1
  13. Brit Loyal Player

If you want to level Artifacts without spending money, understand that you don't need them all to be level 200. You can complete any content including Elite endgame raids, with Artifacts in the 120 and 160 range, provided you know and follow the mechanics properly.

If you want to level Artifacts for alts then know that not only do you not need to get them really above that 120 mark, but you also do not have to use the optimized Artifacts. It doesn't matter if New Artifact A is 3% better than Old Artifact B that you had previously leveled; DON'T transfer it over and feed it to the new one, cutting the XP value in half and forcing you to do the breakthroughs all over again.

Having ANY three Artifacts appropriate to your role and at that 120-160 range is going to be significantly better than having the perfect combination of three Artifacts, but having them less than level 80 because you keep destroying and reseting them trying to chase a Meta which is absolutely not necessary.

The easiest way to level Artifacts without spending money is just to level Artifacts without spending money. You don't need to spend money; you just need to stop being fixated on being part of the top 0.01% of the game without spending money. Artifacts still count and still accomplish a lot, even if they are not level 200.
    • Like x 6
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

We used to be able to trade seals but people were
    using a glitch to duplicate them, so this option was promptly removed.
    • Like x 1
  15. CCPONCHO Well-Known Player

Yea I know, I was ssssoooo pissed off by that. That's how I was making my in game cash on dc selling seals. They have to chill with all this glitching stuff.
    • Like x 1
  16. CCPONCHO Well-Known Player

Hey brit, just curious for the dps side, how many players do you know are efficiently completing elite content with arts in the 120-160 range? I know the support roles are because support is less p2w because you really can't be carried by arts that much, but for dps it's almost night and day when it comes to the burn.
    • Like x 1
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It depends greatly on the DPS player behind the artifact. When my DPS artifacts were sitting around 120-160 I had little issue keeping up and sometimes passing people with 200 artifacts.

Having all rank 200 artifacts doesn't guarantee you top spot on the scoreboard.
    • Like x 4
  18. NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil Level 30

Hello, Qwantum! I clarified that I do not mind someone disagreeing with me as long as their rebuttal does not consist of "I think, therefore I am". I hope that answers your question!

That's actually pretty good advice! I like it!... But I'm the idiot that failed on a breakthrough from 39 to 40... Anyways, yeah, I'm a meta chaser but I'd never destroy any of my artifacts... That one is an absurd concept imo. And as for being the top of the game, I figured people should always be striving for perfection in any game they play but anyways! ... Thanks again for your advice! If I couple this with Kimone's I should have good results!

I saw this last night but I didn't get around to replying... Yeah, this is part of what I was saying. SWTOR is another game where they had marketplace features/items on sale in the broker including unlocked escrow access... It was pretty neat. With DCUO, I imagine that people who are rich IRL would be rich in-game selling all that marketplace content while filling up the broker with good stuff.

Between you and me, if it was just one toon, 200 would be my ideal level. I'm at 11 fully functional alts now and I would love to provide for them all, so by my math even 120 would be acceptable. If 120 means I can still compete and be relevant no matter what I do then I'm satisfied... though 200 on a Trans card or a Solar Amp though...

EDIT: Aw man, I can't edit the original post to add the clarification I wanted. People are gonna nitpick on that last paragraph, LOL.
  19. Trexlight Devoted Player

If nothing has been done by now, then honestly nothing will be done. Its a matter of fct at this point even myself and others have written posts and articles explaining how to better the system and even remove or reduce the need of the MP. But they make bank so why change whats working you know?

Thats why for any and all players, reach Rank 200 would be cool but reaching any Rank after 120, you gotta open your wallet. There isnt a reasonable timeframe of straight playing to get an Artifact to 200 naturally without Seals especially.

Any idea how to better it is certainly welcome but dont hold your breath for immediate change.
    • Like x 3
  20. NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil Level 30

Thank you for the heads up! I don't think anything will actually happen either but I figure I should try just to see what happens. Thanks for stopping by as well!
    • Like x 1