Is there a guide for getting started in PvP ?!?!?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by FESTER665, Sep 29, 2014.

1. FESTER665 Devoted Player

I've been starting to finally get into PvP recently and know somechanges are coming in GU41 but was curious if there was a guide or anything on the basics of it....

I'm starting mostly for the feats, but figure if I'm going to do it that it would be nice to at least know whats going on... Right now my toon has full 89 tank gear and I'm working on the DPS version of the 90 Elemental Android gear. When I ran arenas over the weekend I was getting shredded by some groups while we would do okay against some others. If we ran up against a league it was a guaranteed loss but that's mostly because not many people in the league have PvP'ed much...

Hoping someone can give a few tips and or pointers to how to get started in this aspect of the game. The majority of my gear came from grinding out Legends, so now I want to get started in Arenas to get even more of them.
  2. GhostsAndMagic Dedicated Player

To win arenas all you have to do is find a weak point and exploit it, It could be things like a player with low gear, or something like poor objective control
  3. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

I would recommend looking up the main guide for your power as it also often covers how to utilize it in PvP.

In terms of guides:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/getting-started-in-legends-pvp.192705/
    Yes it's legends, but I would take a look at some of the map portions of it. Those can be very useful.

Finally, if you don't have a regular group you run with, get one. Start off doing 1v1 until you find one other person who's about your skill level. Then run some 2v2's together so you can maybe recruit someone else and keep working your way up.

It is EXTREMELY important to run 2v2's with your teammate though as it is where you two will learn to best fight together.
    • Like x 1
  4. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Yeah, I'm trying to get the league to run some more of it with me, but currently our best controllers are on a Destiny hiatus so we were just running myself (tried tanking and dps'ing) along with a healer and two other dps'es. We would win about 1 outta every 4 or 5 matches, and get utterly stomped when we faced an entire league, so we are going to start trying to get better now.

I'm usually using Lex in Legends because I like to use HB on my DPS stance, and feel like I do okay in Legends, just couldn't stand getting stomped so bad in Arenas...

Is there a list of the moves that apply buffs and debuffs, or is that listed in the powers description someplace?

Thanks for the help with all the n00b questions. :D
  5. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Honestly, the grounds are shifting so darn much for the upcoming season, I would advise you and your league sticking to legends. It's going to help you get used to managing your power much better. One thing I've noticed on test is that a good chunk of the people complaining about power costs had never really done much in the way of legends.

Also knowing how to effectively counter people is key in the new season. With the decreased heals baiting out a block breaker or block and punishing them for their mistake is key to increasing your own surivability.

So if you guys want a leg up on your opponents, stick to legends as it will by far better prepare you for this upcoming season than arenas in its current state will.

As per buffs and debuffs, could you elaborate a little bit more on this? Not sure if I'm answering the question correctly. Controllers can debuff targets. There are obviously different debuffs in the movement mode tree, and then power sets have abilities that can buff yourself or members of your team. You should be able to find that stuff in the power descriptions.
  6. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Unfortunately the majority of feats most of us need fall under Arenas and Last Laugh so I'm going to eventually need to get better at it. I guess you're saying to just wait until GU41 is on live and we can get used to it then?

Like I know as an ice tank that I can cleanse my debuffs using shatter restraints or winter ward, but are controllers the only one who can debuff the other team? Like it seemed the other team had basically everything under their name as a green buff. I kept getting ripped up by a rage guy that was driving me NUTS even when I didn't notice any debuffs under my name.

I'm sure a lot of this will just come with playing, just hoping to make the learning curve a little more bearable. :D
  7. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

Whoa, this could bleed into PVE. Seeing people block more often and generally being more mindful of what they do could improve groups. Hopefully a good portion of the community starts or continues PVP.
  8. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Yea, because season 3 is going to drop sometime in October as of now. Legends feels more like season 3 arenas than arenas does on live right now*. So you may as well give yourself the biggest leg up you can there as possible and get used to power costs as that is what will more than likely get you guys.

There are controller debuffs and movement mode debuffs on live right now. Movement mode debuffs can help strip someone of their role bonuses. In season 3 the only debuffs that will exist are controller debuffs.

It definitely does. Also getting together a regular group who's just familiar with each other's play styles helps a ton. When Sabigya and I run legends we really don't need to communicate all that much anymore because we just sort of know how the other person is going to handle it.
    • Like x 2
  9. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

I can't comment too much on PvE really as I don't do it, but I doubt it will effect PvE too much sadly since none of this stuff is being adjusted on the PvE side so the meta of using weapon mastery/advanced mechanics will more than likely remain the same.

Blocking in PvP is far different than blocking in PvE :p
  10. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

Alot of folks, even well known Leagues are splitting gear, rings, neck, weapon and face piece are PvE and the rest PvP.

Cheesy as hell, but, they are doing it...quick inspect and you'll see. Probably some of the folks that crunched you guys.

This way they feel that the burn is more and still get the advantage of the toughness for survivablity...like I said, cheesy!

New folks playing and running into these types and the timing issue makes it really hard for the "newb".

If you see xSUPERMAN66x or DEMONIZER11 in there, (hero side of course) yell at me and if we don't have a full group, you can join us!

I'm full 90 and we can smash some heads!

Good luck in there!

IA ARMY
    • Like x 2
  11. FESTER665 Devoted Player

I was trying to inspect many of them but just went straight to the gear and didnt look at weapons or things like that... Vast majority seemed to be 90 PvP gear.... I may have to try using my PvE hand blasters when I'm in PvP DPS stance though since right now I'm just using my 89 level tank one when I'm attempting to DPS in there.
    • Like x 1
  12. Drathmor Unwavering Player

like The Enquirer stated find you a buddy and run the 2v2s or 1v1s as you can better see whats happening than in the bigger fights that tend to get chaotic. plus you get better at working with your partner. im sure your pretty familiar with the combat mechanics since they were introduced to PVE a while ago now. they are paramount in arenas. the best way to get good at them is to find people better than you and duel them over and over. another thing thats is super important is to know all the weapons and which moves are which to better be able to counter what your seeing.

many people and groups currently rely on cheap tactics and tricks or mods. All that will be changing soon so no worries the glass cannons and HT mod abusers will all be crying soon as it goes back to skill based and you and your team mates will find your selves on much more even footing. Good luck to ya if you see Deprive on and need a partner hit me up I'll run with ya
    • Like x 3
  13. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Thanks for all the tips thus far guys, I appreciate it! :D
    • Like x 1
  14. Celestial Paragon Dedicated Player

Not if you are a tank, It's Helpful if you're a tank in PvE, because of counter mechanics/immunities and learning how to properly use cleanse/breakouts :)
    1v1 and duels can teach you to power manage better.
    another way is having/finding a friend equally geared as you, then practice. Practice. Practice. Things to do for practice Duels, 1v1, 2v2 and scrimmages between you and the friend or 2v2 with another team of friends. Also good group communication. The only way of getting better at PvP is by doing it.

The thing that makes PvP more fun in my opinion is the human element, its all about predicting your opponents next move. Sometimes your right sometimes your wrong, it's that surprise element that makes PvP so addictive. Understanding the mentality of the opponent.

Example/Side Note: Scarlet Rise and my self, will often duel each other (both of us equally matched with equal gear and playing the same role, just different powers), Pushing each other to adapt to each other's playstyle and pushing each other to our limit. In turn also helping each other get better at PvP.
    • Like x 2
  15. Sabigya Steadfast Player

2v2 is an excellent way to get started. Find someone of equal or higher skill level and run it. After a while you will learn how to play well together and work up communication.
    Remember 2 less skilled players who can work together better can win against 2 skilled players who cannot play together.
    It is also more fun then running 1v1's.
    • Like x 2