Is Mental Faster in DPSing (after gu23)?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Jockin Jay, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

Well is it as fast as gadgets right now? I couldn't get elec to work for me so I'm thinkin about switching to mental or gadget.
  2. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Can't say that it's fast, really. Gadgets is still faster, but the Menace change certainly does help. If you're going Mental, I think you're better off utilizing its better AoEs and range than Gadgets though.
  3. Old Gravyleg New Player

It's certainly better than it was before but still incomparable to gadgets, and both are still incomparable to light. If you want to do the best damage, your only option is HL. If you don't care so much about being the top damager, just try to find a power set you like. I enjoy playing my mental toon even though the only way I can beat a gad/hl player is if they're bad.
  4. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

Got bored being HL, Already experienced gadget dps on my hero toon. I just need some feedbacks about mental :D
  5. Old Gravyleg New Player

It's a lot of fun, and I especially like the looks of the powers. However, it's not nearly as strong as the other toon types. You'll have a difficult time setting up PI's in the tk tree and the illusion tree is easy to set up PI's but you don't have enough room on your skillbar to use both PS and PF to take advantage of it, as both skills have cooldowns that won't ready to cast by the time you're ready to clip.

If you're just looking to have some fun, mental might be the right choice, but if you want to do serious dps you're better off choosing another power type.
    • Like x 1
  6. MentalBuddha Well-Known Player

why do people continue to bash mental? maybe not bash but speak so poorly about it? I just do not get it. Mental is a great and versatile but requires proper positioning as I assume does most power sets. I have topped the charts several times if not all the time with my mental dps and I have dpsed against Hl, gadgets and fire and I have been top. The other players were from great leagues and complimented me on the score and even asked for my load out. I think Mental has a bad rep and has had a bad rep since launch I just do not understand why? It is not the fastest powerset but a dps contender at least for me.
  7. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

There are no bashing here. Just pointing out actual facts (because Gauss Grenade and jump cancelled Fear Gas are still faster than any Mental animations) and giving out a couple of tips.
  8. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

I wouldn't call mental fast, but it's fluid. I'm really a fan of it, only reason i'm not mental atm is well... any powerset gets boring after a while.

Over a raid I'll match most everyone. Gadget/HL/Ice might have a slight advantage but they are also going to be far more power inefficient for again, a SLIGHT advantage.

As for "bashing" mental, it's because we have an entire tree that is sub par. People like that tree because well, Telekenisis is awesome. So people who don't know what they are doing choose that tree, do poorly, then assume mental sucks. Or they come from gadget/HL and don't realize how important power interactions are and then fail to do that and thusly think mental is bad.

It's not bad, again I do well with it, it's not top tier, but it's only a hair behind imo. I'll beat 99.9% of the players out there with mental, but those people who are as good or better than me will beat me with gadget/HL/Ice IMO. I know I can beat me as a mental with those three.

If you want FAST you'll want Ice/Gadget/HL... but with that speed comes a high power cost, without trollers it's not really any faster.
  9. MentalBuddha Well-Known Player

I am sorry if that came out wrong. I was talking in general and maybe to this comment "It's certainly better than it was before but still incomparable to gadgets, and both are still incomparable to light. If you want to do the best damage, your only option is HL". I do not understand why people feel this to be true. I apologize for using bashing wrong choice of word on my part.