Is it me, or was 2017 the year of the ugly styles?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DC Urban, Dec 25, 2017.

1. DC Urban Committed Player

Subjective of course, but I was not even tempted to buy a TC. Even vendor gear seemed lackluster. Maybe the beyond style was the best of the year, but I still feel as if that one could have been done better, notably the boots.

Was 2017 kind to you in regards to styles? Did you have a favorite?
    • Like x 2
  2. SkullGang Devoted Player

Ugly styles and not that many styles overall. They will gladly use old styles as dropped gear but somehow forget to update the style vendors.
    • Like x 1
  3. Isif Committed Player

Capt. Cold waist style pretty slick and wish the back piece was actually closed. Never really one for collecting full styles, just like to use pieces for a desired look. But, yes, 2017 was a rough year for good-looking styles.
    • Like x 1
  4. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

The year of experimental styles.

• Got good styles from Starro.
    • Got WW2 styles from AOJ(not my preference but heh.)
    • Riddler inspired set.
    • Great styles from TC's of course.(Allan Scott, Batman Beyond, Alexander, etc.)
    • And Great styles from Earth 3.
    • Good seasonal styles(Winter Seasonal stood out.)
    • Like x 1
  5. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

For me vendor styles have always been ugly. I prefer the dropped styles over anything a vendor gives.
    • Like x 4
  6. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

Meh, to each their own.

I view the styles as building blocks each with it's own visual properties, helping me achieve an overall look. What may look like an ugly Antifreeze hand style to you, I see as the perfect shape for the futuristic clown style I was trying to put together.
    • Like x 3
  7. DC Urban Committed Player

True, they are even legend characters with ugly armor pieces.

What I am referring to is a blow me away styles. Perhaps the beyond set. Boots are ugly imo, but with one glance at the set, it truly stands out as somewhat bad-a$$. There are indeed ugly pieces that make a good set.
    • Like x 1
  8. stärnbock Devoted Player

i liked the various gas masks the JFA dlc gave, also the boots from the TC was fitting for me...
    well, allmost all of my 16 characters i created stil look like they did when they came out of brainiacs ship...
    only some (my quantum, ice and water characters) are now equipped with the starro mask...
    i guess my main is the only one wich is realy interesting to look at. the only one hwo even collects styles ^^
  9. Saturn Girl Committed Player

In my upon, Whatever about the "Riddle With Crime" Episode Wasn't Ugly at all.
    That was all TERRIBLE UGLY, And Hating Embarrassing.
    I just can't realize why Developers have made that page in the forums about what styles we would like to see in the game.
    It's been more than 1 year that I and a lot of people have been requesting for new Hair Styles, New High Heels, Alien Style Sets, 2 Colored Side Capes, New Capes Which Cover the Neck, 4 Arms Hands Style, Stone Material, Magic Wand Weapon and... Ect
    Then they create the ugly destroyed cape of Ultraman.
    And AGAIN another different Version of Batman's Style set (Owlman's Style). OMG I can believe Developers if you read it, Please No more Batman Styles, There are even more than 6 style sets inspired on Batman and his None-Sence Allies with No Super Powers such as Robin, Nightwing, Huntress, Batgirl and Blah Blah :mad:
    • Like x 3
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I will say there was some stuff I could take and I could leave, but I don't think I'll go so far as to say "ugly." Some of the stuff may not have fit in with any character themes I have going, but they were well made and looked good as a whole outfit.

I'll have to do a list of what did and didn't work for me later, though. LOL
    • Like x 1
  11. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

DCUO is always big on Batman for some reason... as if the developers of this game is a huge batman fans...
    • Like x 1
  12. Saturn Girl Committed Player

DC comics has over 1 Billion Characters. Who are very cooler than Batman and can kill him at the moment with even just a look.
    This is some Movie and Cartoon Creator Company 's fault that made a big dill of a typical character who puts Halloween Cloths on to look cool without any Super Powers.
    You're right maybe they are super fans of Batman, But Developers are not the only ones who play the game.
    They design the game for the world to get their money. Not only for themselves.
  13. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I have no problem with The Riddler style for one reason...People who, like me, for years said, "We're tired of looking like ROBOTS! MORE NORMAL STYLES."

We got EXACTLY what we were asking for.

So, take a number, get in cue, and get back to me a year from now.
    • Like x 3
  14. Saturn Girl Committed Player

I didn't say "everything" about that Episode ;) I'd like the Riddler's though many styles like that already exist in the game.
    If you don't like Robots, Gang War and Funhouse in the Simple Gotham exist, And There you can play in the World War 2 of Earth-2 with JSA and attack humans and you can play in Kahndaq and attack Vandal Savage and Black Adam with Vixen and Rip Hunter and... Not only attack Bots.
    And I said "Personally"
    You should say that to not get rushed by people who don't like you. ;)
    Get back to people like you a year from now.
  15. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

• Starro:The styles from this one was Not my cup of tea
    • WW2 styles from AOJ: okish (some parts are usable)
    • Riddler inspired set: one of the least deisirable ones for me :/
    • Allan Scott:didn't like it so much
    • Batman Beyond:One of the best styles ever :D
    • Alexander's visitor gear:some parts was ok the rest is just meh.
    • Owlsuit pretty great with some minor though Important details(Not beeing able to color the Op Owlman head style top Devs! :rolleyes:;) )
    • Some nice seasonal styles(captain cold one and the plague doctor style)
    • Like x 1
  16. COMBATICUS Dedicated Player

While there was one maybe 2 pieces here and there that I liked and added to my style, but other than that you are correct. Most if not all styles were "meh" at best. I'm still rocking the style I had from almost year ago lol, because there isn't any style that's catching my attention or think was great.

But I'm sure there few out there like em. I mean we see enough ppl in WT rockin those styles lol, so i guess it was designed for ascertain type of ppl. What I like is a style for my speedster/rage power, the flash gear we got about 3 or 4 dlcs ago the 1 with the trench coat? Quickstrike I believe, I like that, then got the flash cowl, and boots, and got the backbone backstyle and robot hands wooooweeeee lol. But yea been rocking that style ever since
  17. Kuno Loyal Player

Worst year for styles I remember. We barely get styles from collections/investigations/briefings anymore. They don't even update rare vendors.
    Only bit of pieces I liked were Green Arrow set and Batwoman's mask.
    Seriously the art deparment need to step up their game, specially when it comes to female styles, also they need to stop replicating same kind of capes, same basic belts with pouches or circles and same kind of gloves/boots.
    There's so many stuff missing, so many good suggestions that are completely ignored. Give us more tights, Golden Age stuff, more femenine unique styles, more ninja stuff, belt that shows the emblem, weapons holsters as back styles... come on!
    Use the imagination!!!
    I miss old styles set up (not the desing, from T1 to T4 styles were too damn bulky, this is not Transformers Universe Online)
    We used to have both iconic sets and also thematic sets, like Viking, Barbarian, Kabuki, Talon Lord, Seraph... why can we have both for some variation and new, fresh stuff?
    2017 styles were basic, nothing new or needed and not iconic at all. Step up the game.
    • Like x 1
  18. Apolloin Well-Known Player

Hate bat-man much?!?!?
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The style is called Electrostatic, and it's based on the electric hero Static (not Flash related at all ;)).
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

With styles being as subjective as they are, it's no big shock that some people are unimpressed with 2017's offerings. I however beg to differ from the "popular" opinion posited in this thread.

For starters, yes, some styles at first glance seemed uninspired. Particularly when looking at the whole set assembled. However, when you take certain pieces and start mixing and matching, that's when you can start appreciating the work put in. Also, the styles offered this year have been getting better and better in the texture/detail department. If you're not noticing that, then you're being to quick to dismiss what has been offered.

Personally, the very best style so far this year bar none....High Density Tactical style based on Green Arrow. It gets a 9.5/10 from me....that half point detraction is for the fact that you can't put an emblem on the chest style. Overall, that suit is fantastic as a single unit...but it also perfectly lends itself to mixing and matching. I've made extensive use out of the hands and boots (especially the boots). And that hood is fantastic, minus the lack of hair showing on female toons.

My second favorite style is the Alexander Luthor Armor set. A solid armored look without being super bulky. After that, the Johnny Quick style is beautiful. They added lots of fine details on that suit...from the textures to things like the zipper. Even when you color the suit all black you can still see the fine texture added. Owlman's suit was a nice return to more basic Slim Suit style...although it would have been nice to have the Emblem be separate to allow more options...but It was meant to be an Iconic inspired vendor set, so I understand. The gloves and boots are nice, and mix well with other styles. I'll admit, I didn't care for the Blackhawk set at first...but I warmed up to it later on. The Jacket is definitely nice (and Emblem friendly), and so is the backpack/parachute. The Dr. Midnite inspired set had some great pieces for mixing and matching as well. My favorite pieces from the Starro Conqueror set, the bracers (we need more...especially in traditional styles, and maybe leather ones) and the boots. The legs, boots and belt for the Captain Cold inspired Absolute Zero set are superb.

Not everything was perfect...I liked the Qwardian style for most of its pieces, except the helmet, shoulders and back piece. Also, the neckline was so low that NONE of the mask styles connected to it...so it was terrible for making full on slimsuit styles by mixing and matching. I personally liked the Riddler set, but even I have to admit that it was going to have limited appeal since there isn't much to mix it up with. Also, it was a terrible TERRIBLE year for female toons. I can't recall anything looking that great for Females this year...and having a female toon, that was rather disappointing.

If I had style complaint (besides lack of female styles), is that there weren't enough styles this year....but I say that because that's what keeps me going in this game, and personally I didn't see enough to make me chase after this year up until E3/Winter Seasonal. But to make the blanket statement that 2017's styles were ugly....nope, can't co-sign that one.

One last thing, 2018 is gonna start off with a bang style wise. Fractured Future style is blazing hot. Setting the bar high for 2018...let's hope it stays that way for the rest of the year.
    • Like x 4