Instant Power: Virtual Power Cap

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Darth, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Lucaefor New Player

Lets take a common PUG raid setup of 3x Controller, 1x Heal, 1x Tank and 3x DPS. Now lets imagine everyone is running low and each player only has 400 Power left. Troll#1 dumps Instant, ask yourself where do you want the three dumps of Instant Power to go?

It should go to the other 2x Controllers and the Healer so:
    Troll#2 should get 1x Instant
    Troll#3 should get 1x Instant
    Healer should get 1x Instant

The healer instantly burns Power to cast heals. The other two Controllers dump instant, where do you want the Instant Power to go next?

Troll#1 should get 2x Instant
    Troll#2 should get 1x Instant
    Troll#3 should get 1x Instant
    Healer should get 1x Instant
    Tank should get 1x Instant

The Controllers are now in decent shape so at this point Power can start to go back to the DPS...

It is pretty easy to impliment by building logic into the Instant Power function. I'm not even a coder and I can figure out that a few simple lines like:

IF LowestGroupPower <600 THEN GetClass(oObject);
    GivePower(Controller);
    GivePower(Healer);
    GivePower(Tank);
    GivePower(Damage);
    END

That in addition to the fact the function is actually bugged as your OP stated.
  2. Derio 15000 Post Club

I would say that in a given situation and using a regular raid group( hint the old days) the power from recharge would go to the two healers and 1 tank. Putting maintaining health at a top priority, because I am sure 1 person can survive a hit from a random add. But assuming priority both tank and healer would get recharge at the same time using priority.
  3. Derio 15000 Post Club

Nice setup, however how would this work given the old raid setup and given a power bar setting where its not <600 for all given players? Or does this priority system only trigger when power<600

Also given that you have 4 dps in a raid and all 4 are at <600 and lets say the healer is at 800 who would recieve power. In the example the dps would but clearly a healer with only 800 power left needs it.

Given that this would put DPS on the tail of priority to get power would help support their WM product.
  4. Lucaefor New Player

That would need testing. I see the priority system triggering on Power being < a variable called Low_Power for any group member. Low_Power would be a baseline number eg 500 Power (2x Tier5 Power casts of 250 Power each) adjusted by the Power Scaling from that players gear, so it would be slightly different for each player.

Again testing needed. You could just adjust the Low_Power baseline for healers upwards if it works out they need a higher reserve than everyone else.
  5. Lucaefor New Player

If you give 300 Power to a Controller they can turn that into 1000+ Power Out. If that Power goes to another controller they can turn 900 Power into 3000+ Power Out.

This is why the Controller must be the #1 Priority for getting Power In when the whole group is on low power.
  6. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

More people need to be aware of this!
    Thanks for posting!
    +1000
  7. Darth Loyal Player

Thanks man. While I wouldn't say its necessarily game breaking its still a problem and it effects everyone in the game, not just Controllers. All roles should be aware of this and want it dealt with. Once it is, I am sure that there will be a lot of situation where power will be better than it is right now. The best part is that fixing this wouldn't be OP in any way and actually be a reasonable change.
  8. TheDark Devoted Player

When the whole raid group is low on power it makes sense to just have the IPH go directly to the team. Which would be 3 members excluding the Controller. IPH shouldn't go the Controller everytime just so they can then give it to 2 other players because in that process you would've ignored 1 player who isn't a Controller. That way is just indirect and slower. Controllers regenerate power to themselves at a greater capacity than the other roles because of Recovery and Vit scaling. So because they can regenerate power independently that way I rather have Controllers last on that list. IF that was ever implemented but I prefer it not be. Among 2 Controllers, they give IPH to 6 team mates as opposed to 4 with prioritizing Controllers as 1.

You could give power to a Controller but are you taking into account that the amount from IPH at current Vit levels doesn't cover the power cost of the IPH? Both controllers would go empty if they strictly used IPH. Most of the time Recovery is active anyway.
  9. Derio 15000 Post Club

Thanks for clearing that up, and yes being based off of what tier gear is a great idea
  10. Derio 15000 Post Club

Well there are 4 options. But what if devs made it where controllers could choose how they give recharge.

1. Numerically- current system( currently broken)
    2. Top off- fill up player bar and then move to next
    3. Percentage- fill up player bar based off the lowest percentage of power.
    4. Priority- fill up player bar based off of priority of role.

However most likely devs will not give these options to controllers and go with 1 option in general. However fixing this problem could relieve the already know controller crisis of 2013-2014
  11. Sore Steadfast Player

This thread is cited for violations of the Wall of Text peace treat of 1892. :p
  12. TheDark Devoted Player

What Crisis?

My bet is on the easiest solution to implement while still maintaining the philosophy that power should not be easily available. That's been the Devs route. This could just be the excuse needed to slightly redo the mana healing aspect of the role to make it more engaging but this isn't the thread topic for it.
  13. Derio 15000 Post Club

Only way to do that is to change recharge completely or increase the cooldown, but inorder to increase the cooldown they would have to fix VPC
  14. Darth Loyal Player

You saying that the 7 paragraphs in my OP is too much reading for you? :p You've probably made longer OPs lol
  15. TheDark Devoted Player

They can fix VPC. A complete change is what I was referring to. Not of the IPH but the entire mana healing. A change that would be engaging while it still supports their philosophy. I'm still waiting for their Work In Progress on the Controller discussion so I can give feedback. That's assuming they ever plan on doing it.
  16. Derio 15000 Post Club

I think they will just fix VPC rather than change entire mana healing. They are trying to create content geared towards CC and AB was a start but rather than cover up the problem it only made it more obvious.
  17. TheDark Devoted Player

Yea I know what they're doing. I think you missed what I was saying. Anyway...
  18. Sore Steadfast Player

Lol. I was referring to the discussion posts in the last couple pages.
  19. Darth Loyal Player

Good point lol. Some of those bad boys are long as hell. So what do you think about this whole VPC thing?
  20. Sore Steadfast Player

It sounds like a bug worth addressing. I haven't done any personal testing but trust the findings. It just reinforces that trolls shouldn't run themselves dry for one person. If they have a sustainable rotation involving all their tools, it won't affect them. It's more a problem for anyone that overreacts to what their screen is telling them.
    • Like x 1