Idea For In-game "help Section"

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Raven Nocturnal, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I strongly feel like this section of the menu is highly under-utilized (at least on Xbox, it merely only consists of the link to the main website, in which can not even be clicked on). Could there ever be a possibility to make this more user-friendly?

Perhaps direct links to the forum itself and/or guides/videos that others have posted to help new or returning players (i.e. Repost: Good Tips for New Players.)?

Please consider making use of that section, especially with clickable links, as I personally feel it would really help players in the game (it seems too tough for most on Xbox to find help even with basic things).

Thanks and have a great day!
    • Like x 4
  2. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

3. Grip Committed Player

I like it :) The potential issues not related to the technical implementation of a more comprehensive Help dialog that I can think of right now are moderation and manpower. Already for the ratings system to work, the powers that be need to offer censorship tools and the ability to completely dismantle chat via settings (my thoughts). I'm unsure how a link to this occasionally <choose your word> place would need to be handled in order to maintain compliance and protect all parties involved. At the very least, there'd need to be dedicated moderation to any guides linked, a posting delay for those threads' new postings to be reviewed, and a very sturdy defense system against the hacking of those linkages. Big things at stake were things to go wrong I'd think. That said, I imagine thousands of players over the years have clicked Help and been disappointed. Interesting idea

Edit: As those links could legally be considered then part of the game, would they also need to be approved by the owner of the intellectual property? I guess it would be better than nothing to hide the destinations behind a huge disclaimer "Your help is provided by outside parties who may not represent our views" though.
    • Like x 1
  4. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

This is especially relevant in the console versions of the game, where it's not as simple a matter to switch over to a web browser, as it is on PC.
    • Like x 3
  5. Irvynnge Loyal Player

totally, man. this game needs some kind of tutoring / helpful light guiding. it still amazes me to this day that you just get to level 10 & the game goes " congrats! you a healer / tank / troll now! " & then just forgets about it. where's the training / tutorial? control / stun / pull adds attacking Batman in the cave, or keep Superman's power bar topped up while he fights off several waves of Braniacs, or heal Wonder Woman while she battles mythical creatures? that sort of thing? just a one-off, like the Constantine Oblivion Bar thing, & you have to do it. if you decided not to do a support role after that, cool, but at least the game has shown you the bare basics of what you need to do should you decide you want to go down that route.

so, yeah, two big old shaky thumbs up from me, mate.
    • Like x 4
  6. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I would imagine any said links would be to ones that are unbiased and/or have comments disabled. Or just direct links to threads in the Guides section like my example.
    The guides/links chosen for display on the Help section would be hand picked by devs and their choice only that they feel would most help players as a whole.
    • Like x 3
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

When I need help in a video game, I and just about everyone else on Earth turn to Google.
    • Like x 2
  8. Grip Committed Player

Cool cool Hope it works out :)
  9. Grip Committed Player

LOL Welcome to 2023, right? That's funny and also probably the norm. In balance, I can see the value of an mmo like this one building an ecosystem that tries to keep us perusing vetted content that keeps us as focused on playing. On Google, we're all just one ad away from going out to buy tacos...
    • Like x 2
  10. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Yes, but you'd be absolutely shocked and surprised how much of pulling teeth it takes people on Xbox to do that. Like it's really really bad. Like, that's literally why I suggested having links to click on that takes them directly to the Xbox in-game browser, because if it doesn't, they cba to find other means other than spamming chat with confusion (as if they don't have PC or mobile).
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The help menu should have links to:
    DCUO Home: https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/home
    DCUO Forums: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php
    Daybreak Help: https://help.daybreakgames.com/
    Report Toxic Behavior: toxic@dcuniverseonline.com
    Report Cheater: cheater@dcuniverseonline.com
    • Like x 2
  12. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Absolutely, even that works better than what it currently has, especially if they are clickable. Currently it only displays the main help website and not clickable.

[IMG]

Is this suggesting someone write a ticket for help with how to play the game? :p
  13. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Maybe the devs should put all the new tutorials in there. I remember hearing praises from certain Youtubers on how certain games have tutorials that you can see again tucked in some menu somewhere, DCUO doesn't have that still.
    • Like x 1
  14. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Report a bug: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?forums/arkham-asylum-bug-reports.134/
    Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/dcuo

They did experiment with having official guides on the website, and put a call out to guide writers to contribute to the effort, right about the time that LadyLightning put out their Guide Index. I think it was just too monumental a task to gain traction, especially the idea of porting the guides to the new format, and losing the give and take that comes from forum discussion. Or, at least, that was the problem I was having. It would be nice to have a new guide to the guides. Maybe a way to fork older guides and have them taken over after a certain amount of time. It was rare that something new would be added that became large and almost codified.
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I would never recommend anyone use the DCUO Discord channel. I don't even think Mepps monitors it anymore.
  16. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

There might be some preconceived notions about the Discord. There is active discussion taking place there. People are really helpful and productive in the style section. New players section for the most part takes the place of people coming to the forums to ask "what power is best," but also has people asking genuine questions and getting genuine answers. The general section, I agree, is pretty interchangable with pretty much any other Discord server or LFG chat. In all, it probably keeps the forums clean of some litter. As far as Mepps, he did log in the other day, though he didn't say anything. He does communicate with Discord mods when they PM him.

Discord is an "official communications channel" that should be listed if the kind of list proposed ever comes to fruition.
  17. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Why not? Can't be worse than HoL shout chat currently... Heh (at least on Xbox, looks like a text representation of old school CoD lobby half of the time since there's only 1-2 phases at any given time).
  18. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Once again today someone was frantically asking for help (to no avail), and I tried to mention the forums to them where Guides are available. Their reply was "there's a forum??", in which they then followed with "sounds too complicated".

Players on Xbox literally act like if the game doesn't have direct links, no other outside means of seeking assistance seem to exist whatsoever.
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Not to sound demeaning but if it's "too complicated" for someone to search the internet I'd bet reading a guide would probably not benefit them anyways.
  20. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Don't have to tell me, I'm well aware. But it's seriously like that for far too many on the platform.

The game really needs in-game support. Especially for children not allowed to access said internet searches. People don't want to outsource. Sad, but true.
    • Like x 1