Gunny's Survival Mode Guide - Oan Sciencells

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Gunny, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Symonator New Player

We just beat round 6 EUPS ...Combination of mass terror, forsaken and vicious grinz.
    The bosses on r7 are manhunter and alyssa arab. Which hit like a truck.
    Manhuntrr teleports behind players and one shots, alyssa does a deadly chompers , we wiped as we lost troll n heal.

Overall GG
  2. Gunny New Player

Good to hear things from the villain side. I'd love to see and hear about a Round 6 appearance on the villain side. I'm pretty sure villains share round 5 with us, but round 6 is rayner I think isn't it?

I'd love to hear from you, maybe even get a section up for you villains out there if possible.
  3. junglejim New Player

Ive got all of kyle/power girl recorded from a few nights ago but didnt really think it was worth an upload with the time it takes. ive put it on Facebook if you want a look at it alot of kiting around involved ive only uploaded the 1st section where we down powergirl . It was our 1st time seeing both bosses but we beat them powergirl has a nasty wing armour pull and moves across the map while doing it. She was harder to avoid than kyle we burned her 1st seemed to work well we were 2222 playing it safe by that point think the fight was 20 mins roughly
  4. Gunny New Player

I'd love to see it.
  5. ForumJunky New Player

The tank doesn't really go down, bit yes there has been a few oh sh** moments where he did bit the troll shields came a clutch and no one else went down.I gotta try the 1 troll set up though, I'll give it a shot
  6. TheLoneLantern New Player

Pretty much this. Our tanks feel pretty invincible til about round 6. I think having a solo healer and solo troller is more of a strain on the group than a solo tank.

I probably won't comment further on this thread since it is about SF's strategy and not Odyssey's lol. Group formations will probably vary across leagues, but I agree that groups should ideally be set up with 3 tank, 3 healer, and 2 troller powersets.
  7. ForumJunky New Player

Go ahead and give your ideas, there not many leagues that get this far and none of use can beat round YET. So throw your ideas out if you wan.
  8. Fools Fire Loyal Player

What are your opinions on using pets? Each time I've tried this, and Ursa pulls people in, I keep getting stuck between two pets and find it hard to get away. Should people dump them and use Orbital Strike or what?

Also, Backups were ridiculous when it came to trying to move out of their way. :p
  9. Gunny New Player

Pets are useful in some boss fights, and negatively impact others. This is a very good question.

Sidekicks are a poor choice of pet to use at any time and I wouldn't bring them. Their taunts can ensue chaos for tanks, and ruin positioning. You want your tanks to have as much control and as much predictability as possible, and sidekick taunts can cause some random movements to occur.

As far as individual bosses, pets are beneficial to most bosses that break off tanks to attack groups. Those bosses have a chance to target pets with those attacks, which means that's not damage you're worried about. This helps for Bruno, Bleez, Guy Gardner, Gorilla Grodd, Atrocitus, and Lyssa Drak. Because of this, I would also use Back-up instead of sidekicks because 3 chances for this to occur with Back-up is far better than just 1 by using a sidekick. The heal and power restoration with the sidekick is negligible.

As far as negative cases go, using pets against General Fabricant and Evil Star is ill-advised. Ideally, Evil Star should be either targeting the tanks, or targeting a group member directly behind the tanks he cannot reach. If he targets an add that's on the side, Evil star can get out of positioning. During our run with Spytle, this scenario happened likely due to brick, which with Evil Star being out of position, then targeted the group. The resulting AoE attack dropped 5 people and wiped the run. General Fabricant becomes VERY difficult with a group that is spread out, and Evil Star has attacks that wipe groups close together.

We do remove pets from the equation for Round 5, but they can be helpful in other boss fights.
  10. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

It's not a strain on our group. If it was, we wouldn't be running it. This is how WE like to run it. It's not the "correct" set up, as there really is no correct way to run it. It's a preference, just as you prefer to run with 1 tank. We prefer 2, as well as a solo heal and solo troll.
  11. Gunny New Player

Exactly. The purpose of that 3-3-2 for powersets is because you have so much flexibility to really try whatever you like. Each boss fight actually varies quite a bit for strategies, and it also allows you to potentially progress missing one, even two players in the event mistakes are made.

Our very first run we made to Round 7 in, we had 5 Tank powers, 1 heal power, and 2 trolls. I was knocked out in Round 4 as a troll, meaning we solo healed and solo trolled a 7 man run to make round 7. We didn't have other options to try due to that setup - just to our surprise, we not only found it do-able, but we now prefer it when using certain tactics to take these guys down. We have achieved Round 7 several times in under 80 minutes of combat time - which really does make a difference in terms of being motivated to try SM, and gives us more fresh heads for attempting Round 7.

Feel free to comment about our tactics and Odyssey's. I basically made this thread for information to be available, and exchanging such tactics really helps guide the discussion, give insights to what first-hand experienced players think about in this content, and perhaps gives us all more tools to reach further into Survival.
  12. IIIINASTYIIII New Player

This "guide" more of a toot your own horn thread is a terrible idea. If you get far then good on ya, but don't feed strategies to others. This game is easy enough and just leave the challenge as it should be.
    • Like x 1
  13. ThatGuyLee Committed Player

I've noticed that general fabrikant's grenades can stun anyone in the group before exploding, tanks included(according to tanks i have run with). Would the 2 tanks cycling their immunities help with this or no?
  14. Gunny New Player

If you feel the need to learn this content on your own, good on you. Good luck.

As I said, this is how WE do our runs. It wasn't to toot our own horn - frankly there wasn't a need for that anyways. I simply put this information out there for anyone else to consider among their vast options.

Trust me, this information will by no means make every group far more likely to reach Round 7 - even armed with this knowledge, every round in Survival Mode very much proves to be a challenge. Many things can go wrong, mistakes can be made, and no matter what group it is or what round, its VERY much possible you can find yourselves all back @ the spawn point far earlier than you thought you were going to go. We actually wiped Round 1 once while streaming lol.

This thread is 100% free to interpret as you see fit.... but the last thing I was intending to do with it is lording ourselves over others. Please don't sit here and try to convey otherwise. Its a helping hand from people who've made it there, and was purely a kind gesture. Take it for what it is, not just develop your own theories why its here.
  15. Gunny New Player

It really wasn't an issue to us. Sure, maybe we get stunned a few times throughout the duration of the fight, but a quick breakout and getting back to work is nothing to get flustered about.

Now with no hard stuns from counters, one could probably cycle tank immunities, but in the end as long as you as a tank maintain the screen block on those grenades and stay on your feet as long as possible, the rest of the group will manage.
  16. Celestial Powers Committed Player

17. Gunny New Player

Good stuff! Villain-side too no less! I'd have to play it personally in order to possibly warrant writing any strategies or guides on it.

However, any villain WITH FIRST-HAND EXPERIENCE that feels they could write a detailed guide on Round 6 is encouraged to do so. I'd be happy to add your stuff to the original post with you labeled as the source, be it editing the original post with all of the info, or simply adding a link to your post.
  18. Ogat New Player

There's really not that much to the fight- we use two tanks but tank both PG and Kyle together.
    Power girl breaks off does her spin(similar to ursa) and after that may or may not do her freeze breath which does considerable damage even to the tanks. For Kyle, he breaks off ocasionally to a random group member and will oneshot him unless evaded or shielded by a healer shield, he also does the bluelantern on the ground thingy similar to saint- this is his most dangerous attack capable of dropping the tanks too if they're not carefull. Other then that just keep em together and burn em, we focus PG first she's more annoying. Ran the fight with a 2-2-2-2.
  19. TheLoneLantern New Player

Does he no longer encase a player (usually the tank on him) in an unbreakable blue light shield?
  20. Ogat New Player

Ah right he does that too but very sporadically and the bubble could be broken out of. Wasn't too dangerous soforgot bout that ;s