Dev Discussion GU139: Gentleman Ghost

Discussion in 'Developer Discussions' started by Shadoweaver, Nov 16, 2023.

1. Shadoweaver Developer

Greetings, Heroes and Villains!

This is the feedback thread for Gentleman Ghost, the new open world boss haunting Cursed Gotham City. Please share your thoughts and experiences while fighting this boss, and thank you for playing!
  2. Moon Shinobi777 Level 30

Ghost's damage should be dialed back just a notch, i spend more time picking people up then focusing on him and his adds. He re-spawned one time and he wasn't even at 75% health and he reset himself. Wherever the max damage cap is for all his attack's should be lowered just a few not at the half. Just to be a more tolerable fight. He's not a bad fight just the damage taken detracts from focusing on the main objective.
    • Like x 1
  3. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

After everything downloaded and I logged in I looked for the elite plus and could not find it in my on duty queue. I turned off my PS5 and turned back on and logged in and it elite plus was not in on duty queue under Justice league dark cursed. However when I went to the old way of queuing it was there. Is anyone else seen this or noticed it? Or is it just me?
  4. Korlick Loyal Player

Atleast add a Skull to his double pistol attack.
  5. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

Been farming him 56 times so far, on my Fire Tank, Red Inferná, cr429 766sp 120 Manacles, Everyman and Mystic, level 6 Supes & Lex both Passive 1.

Specced Crit Heals, max Health, 100 Res rest in Dom (280ish I think)

I keep getting seemingly random 1-3shot, despite having 985k health and Fire Soul up.

His damn Hold Triangle Dual Pistol attack has no tell I can see, comes out instantly and procs Manacles, I Immolation or Supes on reflex, then die in 2 more ticks before my animation is even finished. That feels unfair and is not fun.

His Skull with the midrange frost cone is a 3 shot over 2s. It has an audio que and Absorb Heat can barely keep heal through it. Feels fair to me.

His Skull where he points at a random player and shoots them does 80% if not Blocked, 20-30% if Blocked. It should have at least a red arrow on the players head and preferrably also a text warning, to be in line with similar Bounty Mechanics. (Black Manta in Doom comes to mind)

Him randomly taking away the players powers is a worse gimmick than Mind Control in my opinion. (No, not saying that should return in any capacity). At least Chemo has a visible tell the Tank can Group Breakout on (or the player can use a Breakout Trinket) to prevent transformation and a very obvious mech to remove the transformation. Very rude, unfair and not fun.

Overall I feel he needs a lot of red markers and a few texts to tell what is going on. While that will likely cause performance issues in stacked spam phases (most of which are done by now, at least on EU), it would make him so much more tolerable in small groups.

Metal Titan, Man-Bat, Nth Golem, Synn, Meta, Calc, DD, Princes, Giganta, Manta, Grodd, Cheetah, UV, Knight, Shadow, Barbatos, Injustice, Pride, Gorgon and Chemo could all be solo'd by a lvl 22 or 27(Can't remember when you get AH) Fire Tank with no sp, Augs, Arts or Allies, if you knew the powerset and Bounty mechs and had an hour to kill. Ghost is the first I won't even try for fun.
  6. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Very, very poor job on Gentleman Ghost.

Seems a lot of balancing 'rules' went out the window with that one, and I am wondering if that played a bigger part in gear repair being removed from the game, as it could unfortunately make it easier for some maligned folks to create content that is lacking said balance and not give a rats *** about it.

As it stands, Ghost hits way too hard, provides little to no warning for attacks that will one shot a tank at their tankiest (buffs) and is generally not a fun fight. Even on respawn and rushing back into battle i've been OHKO'd by massive invisible AOEs that somehow reached beyond the cemetery gaaaaaaaaaaates.

.... Godammit, Phil...

Anyway. There are a number of ****** OHKOs this DLC, both in the raid and both open world bosses. Gorgon seems to signal OHKO attacks better with a few exceptions or tankbusting melee attacks that hit with no warning. Wonder Woman/Girl/Zatanna all have at least one OHKO that comes out way too fast and doesn't give you enough time to get the **** out of the way if you happen to be in any kind of animation with the usual dovetail timings.

While I do like the approach of having these attacks come out faster, you cannot make that step without going back and readjusting core gameplay animation timings and rules first so they then match up with what you're trying to do with faster, more reactive gameplay. For example, you'd have to address those animation cycles across so many powers/abilities and rework their cooldowns so the CD's are expanded to account for baked in time previously used during the cast cycle. What's more, armor penetration is being abused to an extreme here. Like said, even with buffed up tank defenses way, waaaay too much damage is getting through, and even blocking isn't doing anything meaningful to mitigate that damage (in the event you can't move away, which actually happens quite a bit with summoned pets trapping tanks in close proximity to these OHKO threats).

With the holidays nearly here and people likely taking time off, this unfortunately doesn't look like it'll be addressed before January -- and that's if the PS5 launch even happens this month or also gets pushed into January/post holidays. It's been so hush hush despite being so close that folks should just expect that to be the case. It may launch with several bugs as well, which could cause anger if they can't be resolved till January just the same. Only thing I can say is that ya need to do better. We're all aware the original devs are no longer around and the newer folks are still figuring the game out. Growing pains be growing pains. While the other bosses have some issues, Ghost is just egregious. It's evident as soon as the fight starts.

Also there needs to be a rule change for the impulse (I call it repulse) effect. This is a control effect that pushes the player and enemies (like full auto pistols spam). This is a problematic ability and gets abused this DLC. The control effect not only pushes the player, but forces them into a deflection stance and in some cases also locks down their entire power bar. Ghost does this. Not that you could really survive the attack but by having him do this it completely locks the player out of any counter action as locking the tray means 'usable while controlled' abilities also get **** canned. Zatanna (solo) also abuses this with one of her abilities where she prepares an OHKO, but then impulse pushes the player, putting them in a controlled, tray locked state that causes the OHKO to F the player over.

Keep in mind that the classic game was designed more like this and there was a problem with OHKO attacks being prevalent until earlier devs finally addressed it and started toning it down. PVP counter mechanics were also injected into the game and it gave players a more well rounded system where the counter system could set up such attacks but can also be played to defend against them (Hand of Fate / Eclipso). It made more sense and flowed better, but by this DLC in today's DCUO, these bosses are using the counter system but are totally immune to counter effects (outside of alert Swamp Thing very briefly being counterable as the fight starts). This is a bigger issue for tanks, as when you combine these control effects with the no-warning-OHKOs or super fast cast OHKOs, they can get shredded fairly easily.

The entire game needs to be on the same page. Can't weave around the rules on an episode basis. Like said i'm not against rewriting the rule book as a whole. Speedier gameplay? Hell yeah. Remove the combat speed nerf and reduce the animation cycle of the forced block stance to allow players to actually utilize speed to get out of these enhanced OHKO threats. Heck - if you're familiar with the Anniversary event, there's a buff/(debuff?) placed on the party that allows you to move around at full speed during combat. I thought that was great and should be how the game stepped up to more modern games. Taking a look at competing titles like Phantasy Star Online 2: Title Too Long and Warframe, they utilize speed in this manner and require players to react using evasive maneuvers and leaps, as well as Souls styled parries. If the servers are capable of updating at that speed then bringing tighter gameplay to the table could go a long way - if it can be done without breaking any and everything. I'd even go as far as having all player abilities become mobile powers so long as every single enemy similarly was able to use their abilities while moving, save for 'set piece attacks'.
  7. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

It sucks doing this bounty. The grave stones barely register on the screen, or it they do the cog is on the last sliver and then pop goes the ads. He is nothing but 1-shot mechanics (quick damage succession counts) and is not fun to play with. I haven’t spammed it 100 times as it’s boring randomly dying. Not to mention the grounding effect even if you fly over him when doing daily’s like pre ghost bounty. Ugh! Meh! Boo!!!