GU 33 Feedback: Armories

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Carp, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Carp Developer

With Game Update 33, the Armory system will be available on DCUO; armories are now up on PCTest for preview and feedback.

An armory can be placed in your base and allows you to imprint a "build" of your character (including equipment, appearance, power and skill point allotment, and ability loadout). Up to four armories can be placed in a single base.

Interacting with the Generator in your base will allow you to load your imprinted armories into four hot-swap slots. In the field, you are able to swap between the builds of these armories. A short cooldown will apply when swapping outside of combat, and a longer cooldown when swapping during combat.

Please post your feedback about and report any issues with the Armory system here!

Thanks!
    • Like x 4
  2. Liongale Dedicated Player

Is there room to say I love your name? I swear to you all the time and didn't even know it. aka "What the carp?" Fish power o/

I'll get on the test server later and see how I can assist.
    • Like x 3
  3. SuperiorMouse New Player

lol

so it's been said in a few places... but let's talk about it...

the restriction that you cannot have more than 10SPs or 3PPs unspent when imprinting. on one hand it forces everyone to buy a 2nd armoury. and i understand that and want you to make lots of money. but i feel like this restriction is kind of harsh. if players wanted to create a middle of the road build and imprint that, it would still be useful to them with one armoury but enough friction to motivate them to purchase a 2nd one without absolutely "forcing" them to (how it is now basically). of course this really depends on the price of the armouries in the MP. if they're priced lower then players will snap them up and buy them like candy and if they're priced on the high side they'll buy one and move on.

personally, i'd say if they're under $5 (say $2.50) i would buy at least 3 additional armouries -- but probably 5 (per character!!). but if they are $5 or more, i'd probably only buy the one single armoury for my main and call it a day. i think the price point is relevant to it's functionality because if it has restricted functionality and a high price... it'll further convince players to just get 1. but if, again, it's on the lower side like $2.50ea then the restriction won't matter at all because players will still snap them up like candy.

1 additional armoury at $10 - used for:
    • alt role on main.
    ______
    $10

or

5 addtional armouries at $2. 50ea - used for:
    • alt role
    • pvp main role
    • pvp alt role
    • secret identity costume concept
    • heavy armoured look for those un-nerfed T5 raids (i'm teasing)
    ______
    $12.50
    this is just me though. i don't know what other are thinking.
    • Like x 7
  4. KidSuperBoy Well-Known Player

I tried my first amory last night I really liked the feel of it. There was no problems installing it and I found the interface user friendly. The one thing I noticed is I can't switch back to the previous stance. Is there a way, or is the toggle in armory mode from amory loadout to armory loadout? Also I feel instead of the present suit glow look in the armory, which I feel is a little bald looking as to hair, perhaps a hologram of the character would be more visually pleasing. Great job!:);):cool::D
  5. KidSuperBoy Well-Known Player

Yes candy. LOL
  6. Penryn The Gadgeteer

I do have one question. Am I going to have to reimprint every time I pick up a new piece of gear? That is going to be a little inconvenient during the first few days of a DLC release.
  7. Remander Steadfast Player

That's what's being discussed above. Armories are a one-way street. You can activate one and switch to the saved spec, but you can't switch back without a second Armory that had your original spec saved. Many are complaining (personally, I'm fine with it) that we should be granted 2, because 1 isn't terribly useful. When it was first presented, the idea of saving a skeleton spec and using it as an in-the-field respec station was thrown around. They have eliminated that possibility by putting the SP and PP restrictions in place. I agree that's a crummy move, but I see why they are doing it. They want you to get a feel for the potential of Armories with the 1 free, so you'll buy more.
    • Like x 2
  8. SuperBell Loyal Player

How can we test the Armories if we can't obtain more than one?
  9. BumblingB I got better.

Hi Carp! A few things:

#1)
    Since they have an official Armories thread, I'll quote you and hope they merge my two armories threads into this one.

This is something I have an issue with. Overall, I thought the armories were supposed to help allieviate the need to respec. Plus, as mepps pointed out in my thread:

This can be achieved by buying more than 1 armory anyways. Especially since we have an option to achieve 16 total. So it just seems rather counter productive to have it work this way. It just hurts players that want to utilize it to the fullest. I want to buy the armories and having a partial build is one of the aspects I like from it. Putting this current restriction makes me want to buy less, not more.

#2)
    Armories are just way too dang big. There is a picture posted by Jafin on 4 of them close to each other. This is a problem as I don't want them to take up so much space, especially since I want to decorate my base around it. There would be no room for anything if I have 4 in there. Unless I put them in more than one room, but that just seems extremely silly when it comes to decorating. Why do I go upstairs to put on my FOS clothes and downstairs to put on my Themescyra clothes? Please reduce their size to about 25% wide. Which would put it about the size of the display mannequin.

3)
    I have mentioned it before, I think you guys should remove the cooldowns all together and utilize it in actual combat for future content. These things have an almost unlimited potential for gameplay. Which can please everyone in some form or another. In current content, the cooldowns would work as you can exploit it, but having content that allows you to switch dynamically can be a massive improvement. It would add depth to the game and step away from just simple button mashing. This 3rd point is a personal belief, because this game is a lot of fun, unlimited armory potential would make it epicly amazing! :D
    • Like x 4
  10. NayrTheWise Active Player

Re-posting this here from where I had posted it earlier, now that there's an official thread. Nothing new if you saw it already, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't lost in an orphaned thread! :)

For the starter armory given from the quest, it's no trade, no sell, no delete, but when I clicked it I got the standard base item message, which says something along the lines of "You will no longer be able to trade this if you consume it", which is odd, since I can't trade it anyway.

When you try to imprint with fewer skill points/power points spent than allowed (which I think is a silly "feature" anyway, partial imprints would be very useful), it tells you "You don't have the required minimum of 12 power points spent". (Similar for SP). However, the UI doesn't tell you how many you have spent, just how many you have free and how many you have total. To be consistent, it should message using the UI numbers: "You have more than the required minimum of 3 power points unspent"

The default PC keys are numpad 1 through 4, which only work when Num Lock is on (And often don't work well at on a laptop). Just by looking at the key bindings screen, you can't tell that, it just looks like 1 through 4. I anticipate a great many shouts about how to get them to work. What about using N, M, comma, and period as the defaults? (And remap Renown to unmapped by default... it's hardly used anymore, and you can get to it through the Deeds menu.

As someone else mentioned, you can trigger armory 2, 3 and 4, even when you only have one. However, once I go to the generator and configure which build goes where (Meaning, where I put my single build), if I attempt to trigger the other builds, I get the error message "An error occurred while imprinting the Build" in the text box, and I don't get any animation. (Note: I'm not imprinting, I'm hitting the key to switch to a build I don't have mapped)

On the Armory Builds tab at the Generator, I can place my single build into the four slots using the mouse by dragging. When I click on one of the empty slots, it highlights like an inventory slot, implying that it will swap with the build if I click on it. However, clicking on the build does not swap it. Nor does clicking on the build in the list move that build into that "selected" slot.

When renaming my build, I get an Invalid Build Name error for "Damage" and "Staff" and "Staff Damage", but it's just fine with "StaffDamage" or "S D" or "Enstaff Damager". Why on earth would those be invalid names? I can name it after myself, so it's not conflicting with player names.

When you imprint a build, it asks if you're sure, but after that there's no feedback at all that it worked. Maybe play a short noise or something to make it feel like something happened?
    • Like x 1
  11. Remander Steadfast Player

They said in the notes that they will be adding more for testing purposes.
  12. Lodar Monak Active Player

After a few tests the 1 armory seems to be working as intended. There is an issue when logging back into the test server that requires me to replace and reimprint the armory every time I log in.

The animation for activating the armory appears fine but the icon at top left is the only indication of which armory you are activating. I suggest having a brief text message with the icon appear on screen during the activation animation. e.g "Activating 'Armory Name Here'".

For PC users a key bind to bring up a display of what armories you have stored in your current loadout of 4 would be great to. This could be used to see what loadouts you have assigned to key 1,2,3,4 while in the field. Changing your current armory loadout should still require returning to your generator though.
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

You will be able to test more than one...soon.
    • Like x 2
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Can you confirm that this is still happening as of after this post?
  15. SuperBell Loyal Player

Cool.

My armory dummy was facing to the side and on the right edge of the platform. I don't know if I caused that somehow, or what.
  16. Magnus Rex Well-Known Player

I have been eagerly waiting for an armory to show up in the game since I first joined the game (about 6 months after launch). This is a fantastic feature. Can't wait to put these into action in the real game!

I do have a request / suggestion. With Home Turf, players were given the choice of a full-scale "Base" or a downgraded version, the simplified "Lair". This gave non-Legendary players the chance to dabble in the feature, and then choose to either purchase Bases or even purchase Legendary membership to take full advantage.

I suggest a similar approach with Armories, where the simpler downgraded choice could be one that only changes the Style of the character without changing its Power/Skill/Loadout. This would give players a chance to experiment with alternating the cosmetic look of their character on-the-fly, and if they so choose they could purchase the upgrade to full-scale Armories and have more freedom over their entire loadout.

If this were implemented I would most definitely take advantage and I think lots of other players would too. Personally, I would use an Armory for my primary Troller loadout and a second Armory for my DPS loadout; and then I would install multiple downgraded "Costume Displays" to macro my favorite alternate styles, and also show them off in my base. For example, I have a "space suit" style for when I run HIVE Moon Base or Oan Sciencells, and a "mystical" style set when I run Hand of Fate operations, Gotham Wastelands, and the Themyscria raid.
    • Like x 4
  17. Aren Sul Committed Player

I tried a few color/style changes and placed the armory in set spot and in free (enter/re-enter base and check) - armory worked fine. It's a little tough to test without multiple armories but I'm aware that is on the way.

Only suggestion:
    Require: paper doll holds weapons - I was playing with switching weapons and figured with multiple armories, seeing the weapon would be useful
    Nice to have: paper doll not only holds weapon, but holds weapon in fighting pose - I realize this adds a complexity as you need one pose for each weapon, but - hey - maybe Santa will help on that ;-)

P.S. I can't begin to tell you how much I really, really love this feature.
    • Like x 4
  18. Sore Steadfast Player

What I've seen so far, it seems pretty straight forward. I think they're too big and bulky a base items. They should be sleeker, IMO. But I doubt that'll change. They're good to go! Ship 'em! Time to go to the live servers! lol
    • Like x 6
  19. TDSK Committed Player

Since we can't test more than one, right now what you could do is: 2 powerpoints for starting power, the other in a power point you would use in both roles

Skill Points: Just go down 4 on 2, down 2 on one. Then you're good.
  20. Superskull85 Devoted Player

I did notice one bug. If you shift with an Armory and then immediately transition you be stuck for longer then you normally would if you did not do that. I don't see this happening for legitimate players but for anyone trying to cancel the transition (which you can't BTW) they will be stuck if they try this. It is not a major bug but may become annoying for anyone that does like transformations.