Graphics Update 2023

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Pale Rage, Dec 1, 2021.

1. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

Yeah, that was way back in 2020, and that was BEFORE he took most of the devs over to his Marvel MMO brainchild, then ended up leaving with many of them when it was cancelled. Also, he said, "... and possibly update the game's engine, but also says, "Another consideration is just updating what we have with Unreal Engine 3, as Batman Arkham certainly showed that you can do amazing things on Unreal Engine 3, so it's really weighing the time, the cost and what we could get out of it."

When doing research on the topic, I basically read experts in the field saying, NO... it's a nightmare and would take many years to complete and basically involves re-coding the entire game. For a game with roughly 1000 active players, it's totally NOT worth it. You'd be better off just making a completely new game, and possibly why Jack was so adamant about creating a NEW MMO. After Jack's big speeches about plans for DCUO when he took over, pretty much NOTHING became of it; he basically turned his and the teams attention to the Marvel project. Which means I'm sure he directed the DCUO team to do the latter, not the former, and just 'update what we have'.

I kind of look at it this way, if Jack had a 'good feeling' about the future of DCUO, he would have stayed and re-focused on it, instead he chose to jump ship and many devs must have felt the same because they went with him.
    • Like x 2
  2. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

Sources? Just because a project/task is large in scope and scale doesn't mean anything in terms of whether or not a company will implement. If it's the right move, which upgrading the engine most certainly is, they will implement it.

And 1000 active players? You really wanna die on this hill? Theres an average of just under 600 a day on Steam alone, not counting non-Steam PC users, PS, Xbox and Switch. Source

If you wanna be negative, at least back stuff with evidence.
    • Like x 1