Going from Member to Premium

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dorn Cresh, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Hi everyone! Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it when I did a search.

Basically if I have a paying Membership and I create a toon with one of the powersets/movements/weapons that I haven't purchased separately, when my Membership ends and I revert to Premium will that toon become unavailable?

Same question with regards to the Lair, if I hadn't bought the Lair system but created one anyway because I have a Membership, will I not be able to use the Lair when I revert to Premium?

In fact, same question with regards to the extra character slots, extra inventory and bank slots.

Thanks for your help and patience in advance! :)
  2. Rainnifer Committed Player

You will still have access to any characters using weapons/powers that you didn't buy without the membership, but if you switch something to something else then you can't switch back without buying it. I assume the same goes with the lairs, the ones given for having the lair system stay with that character, but I don't think you will have access to mainframes etc.

The extra character and inventory slots given from membership will go away and revert back to what you had before, but any slots you've purchased will stay with you.
    • Like x 1
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Things you will lose going to premium (other than the obvious replays, loyalty points and episode access).

10 character slots - When you log in the first time, you will be told you need to select which 6 characters you want to play with...so better move things you need off the others to the 6 you will end up with. BTW. If you purchase a new slot to create a new toon, you can't unless you clear out the ones that are in limbo first. Same goes for deleting out of the 6 you choose...delete 1 and one of the offline toons will take it's place, no new ones. If you have already purchased additional slots your count will be 7 or 8 or whatever vs 6, but the overage is 10...so you'll lose those.

3 rows of inventory space and bank space(well 21 inventory spots...24 bank). If you have purchased additional inventory or bank slots you will not lose those, but the difference between premium and member is 3 rows (I recently went the other direction on my PC account and picked up the 3 rows). Shared bank stays the same.

The ability to add the powers you don't own - So yeah, if you made an atomic toon now, you can still use atomic on that guy. If you make a new toon (assuming you had a slot open) or use a respec token, you can't pick atomic when setting it up.

The lair system - As mentioned above, your base would not implode on itself, it's still the same, but you will lose mainframe access so no orbitals or supply drops and your socketed white mods will go dark (it might happen after your last set of batteries craps out...or immediately), you can't add batteries to the generator without the lair system.

Utility belt - If you have one equipped the 4 slots inside will be dead. If you take it off you will not be able to put it back on.

Weapons - The only extra weapon I know of is the shield and I think if you have points in it, you can keep using it, but for toons without points in it, you will lose access and can't buy the 1st point to gain access. Remember, if you respec, you will lose all points unless its your default weapon. I don't use shield on most toons, so i'm not 100% sure on this one...it might be you are locked out immediately as well.

You cannot create a league - If you already run a league, you will still have it and can maintain it as normal, but if you are leagueless, you cannot create new one, but can be invited to and promoted to leader of another league that someone else creates.

Promethium and episode treasure boxes - Can't open either, but can buy promethium keys for the promethium boxes (does anyone actually do this?)

Good luck and welcome to the premium gang (ok...so I do both, but yeah....you can still play as premium).

Reinheld

PS...bad timing to run out just at the end of free eps, but at least you were member to get the appreciation box.
    • Like x 3
  4. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Thanks you guys for the detailed answers and the warm welcome!!!

Reinheld I'm actually a Premium player but considering subscribing to have access to the newer powers I don't own; I was just wondering what the hassle would be if I reverted to Premium. You addressed the issue spot on - I was wondering if I'd be given a choice of which toons I wanted locked, or if any toons would be automatically locked due to me not having purchased their powers/movement/weapon.

I guess I've just missed the boat, huh! I should've subscribed last week to receive the Membership gifts :p Do you know how often they hand out gifts to Members?

Also, what's the deal with the free episodes... are they mini versions of the current episode, or do they give fewer rewards or something? Are they easier to run?

Sorry for the many questions! I just returned from a break of like 6 years so as you can probably tell I'm quite confused :p
  5. Rainnifer Committed Player

I'm not as old a member player as most on here, but I believe they only give gifts like that to members once a year. Every now and then they'll give other "gifts" such as free seals to everyone, or increase the member discount in the marketplace during some sales.

The free episodes is a limited time where all the episodes are open to play for anybody, I believe they are "mini" versions in a way. You don't get access to reward chests that require actually owning the episode, or a few collections that you need to own the episode as well. You only get access to do the quests or on-duty missions, which also have longer loot lockout times though I can't say how long because I was usually a member whenever they had these. They're not easier either, just as hard as they were made to be (the other day I had to struggle through the metal part 1 alert with some who were a bit under geared due to the open episodes + Cr skip. One had to leave because they could no longer repair their gear)
    • Like x 1
  6. Ascended Well-Known Player

Yeah, you get to pick which characters are locked, and if they have a non-basic power or use shields, you won't lose them (though if you respec your skill points you'll lose shields access, and I don't think you can equip a new one either? Same with the utility belt) And your base theme won't change, you just won't be able to use the mainframe stuff.

Member gifts happen maybe a couple times a year. We get gifts on the anniversary (which just ended) and sometimes on other occasions; I think we've gotten a couple minor gifts on Batman Day the last couple years for example, and maybe they'll toss some free artifact stuff at us now and then. The last two years we've gotten stuff from the Extra Lives charity event too, though I think that stuff is for everyone and not just members?

And the free episodes is exactly what it sounds like; free episodes. If you have the CR to access it, you can play it without owning membership or buying the DLC. That happens, I think, twice a year; during the anniversary and then again during, I think, summer? Could be wrong on that. I don't think there's any difference between free episodes and membership, outside of minor things like the "members only" loot boxes.

The more limited version of a DLC is the "event" version. Right now that's Metal part 2. When a new DLC hits, we get a level agnostic version that everyone can access even if they don't have membership or the CR to normally play the DLC. So your CR 40 toon can play in Metal Part 2 right now, but a lot of feats aren't available in the Event version (you can look at the feat descriptions to see which you can earn in the event and which require the actual DLC and proper CR). These "events" last until the next DLC hits. So you can play Metal Part 2 until Birds of Prey hits this April. And for the last year or two, once a DLC has been out for a bit they'll add new vanity items to the vendor; auras and accessories and hair cuts, etc. I think we must be getting close to that with Metal Part 2, it's been out a while now.

There's also the Death of Superman DLC, which is always level agnostic and I *think* F2P can play it too.
    • Like x 1
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Sorry....thought you were already a member when you said that....sorry to rub the salt in the wound. As you missed the gift and discounted membership sale (sorry...more salt), you should have been part of the free eps going on since about the 11th. Same content, but like the others said, you can't open the treasure boxes and some of the loot locks are extended (duos and alerts). They are a great way to get your beak wet...get into some areas you might have missed like Atlantis or Titans Island and maybe knock out some feats on your premium account. I've been dragging some friends into old alerts to get some SP built up. They end in a few days, so get in. Also, if you have always been premium you should sign in on any toons over 230 and grab your adaptive augments from whatever DLCs they'd have access to. They are journal entries, and you can collect the augments and work on them as premium, but can't get them once free eps or membership goes away.

BTW...although you don't get the treasure boxes, you can collect catalysts or rare collection drops in these runs. I had a premium toon pick up a 'trick lapel flower' collection in the Metal 1 solo 2 days ago....you wont' be buying that for 3K anytime soon!

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  8. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Thanks Rainnifer and Ascended! That info goes a long way to clearing up some of the brain fog. I was thinking that the free episodes and event episode were the same thing. I'll have to keep an eye out for the any new vanity items added to the vendors, although I likely won't have the quarks to purchase any. Assuming they cost quarks.

Hahaha no worries Reinheld, any information is appreciated! I don't have any toons over CR 230 so I guess I don't need to worry about getting those augments. I am participating in the the Metal Part II event episode, though! What exactly ends in a few days, the old alerts, or that event episode?
    • Like x 1
  9. Rainnifer Committed Player

The new vanity items added to DLCs only cost the DLC specific currency, until the DLC becomes old enough and it then switches to costing source marks. Only items inside the Time and Space vendor and Booster Gold cost Quarks, those items are from previous Time Capsules that are out of circulation other than possibly getting from the broker.

The open episodes ends in a few days, and then the valentines event will start which you can run every day to earn currency there and buy styles
    • Like x 1
  10. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Thanks for clearing that up! Which vendor will have these new vanity items? I'm guessing the one specific to that DLC, who is either found in the Watchtower or the DLC instance itself? Sorry there are so many vendors all over the place I struggle to discern any kind of pattern or logic to them :p
  11. Rainnifer Committed Player

It's okay lol, the recent DLCs have had about 3 different vendors. The "event" vendor, which sells the purple gear boxes and base item boxes, this is the one that you will find outside the dlc in the watchtower/hall of doom and the one that will hold the special vanity items, so anyone can buy them provided they have the currency. The "regular" vendor, which holds the golden/yellow gear that's higher CR than purple drops and the augments. And the "elite" vendor, which of course holds the elite level gear and things for the "OP" item, some older dlcs have this stuff in the regular vendor such as Atlantis. Of course there is also your repair vendor, which repairs gear and sells colas.

They've been attempting to come up with a consistent basis for how each DLC works now, so older ones are going to differ from the more recent ones, so don't be afraid to just look around at all the vendors.
    • Like x 1
  12. Dorn Cresh Active Player

I see, thanks for that :) I still wish the vendors were more clearly labelled and sensibly located, with more consistency for the sake of us new or returning players! But I will definitely look around and familiarise myself with them.
  13. Ascended Well-Known Player

Yeah the vendor situation is a mess.

Okay, time capsules give you quarks. Quarks are only used in the time & space vendor and with Booster Gold. Those vendors are in the central hub of both HQ's and everything they sell is stuff from old time capsules.

There's also a gear vendor in the same area who will sell you whatever gear is relevant for your CR, all for source marks, up to the Titans DLC. That's the easiest place to get your gear most of the time, if you're not just using the drops to level up. But once you're past the Titans DLC you'll have to go to the specific vendors for each DLC.

The other general vendors for a DLC (the ones who sell the basic gear and base items, auras, materials, etc) are found next to the portals to their respective DLC's. Portals are usually in the central hubs of the HQ's, but some of the older ones are spread around more. It really is a mess. If you're not sure where your vendors are, give it a Google.

The vanity stuff only really started to become a thing with....I want to say the Deluge DLC? So you'll find auras and haircuts and stuff with vendors from that DLC onwards. And they sell everything for source marks until you reach the Justice League Dark DLC, and from there each DLC uses its own unique currency. This cycles, as has been said already, so older DLC's will eventually convert to source marks, but I don't know when that'll happen next.

The higher end gear for a DLC is sold by vendors inside the content, not out next to the portals in the HQ. So, like for the JLD stuff, you can go to the Watchtower, talk to the vendor outside the JLD portal, and buy the auras, materials, and Argus style gear. But if you want to buy the Etrigan style gear, you have to have the CR to do that DLC and go inside the portal, where the vendor is.
    • Like x 1
  14. L T Devoted Player

There's a guide for that

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...egendary-or-when-you-become-legendary.155629/
    • Like x 1
  15. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Ascended that's an great summary of the vendors! Thanks so much!!! I've had a look around and it does seem to make more sense now. There are still loads of vendors that don't fall into the catergories you mentioned but I assume they're not as important? (for example in the Watchtower's hangar there are four robots that don't seem to sell anything at all. Is it because I don't own the DLCs they belong to?)

L T thanks for the guide! I'll be sure to check it out :)
  16. Ascended Well-Known Player

Yeah, there are vendors all over the place. The vendors around the central hub are for newer DLC's, while the vendors for lower level content are spread anywhere, if there's a vendor in the HQ at all. I think the PvP Harley Quinn set is literally shoved into a corner of the Hall of Doom. Literally a corner!

But unless you're doing PvP, the only gear vendors you need to worry about are the ones around the central hub. Like I said, there's one vendor that will sell whatever gear is relevant to your CR, all the up to Titans. The vendors you need after Titans are around the central hubs.

PvP vendors are located elsewhere, holiday event vendors will be located in different spots depending on the event (and will only be there during the event), and then you've got other random vendors selling rare styles, haircuts, styles from character creation, all kinds of stuff. But once you figure out the central hub you'll at least know where to get the basics.

Oh, and those four vendors in the hangar sell gear from low level episodes.....15-25 I think? Something like that. Gotham Outlaw, Electrostatic, Investiture of Prosthyle (or whatever it is), and I forget the last style set.
    • Like x 1
  17. SekretVillain Loyal Player

DLC treasure boxes as premium you can open, the only 1 that you had to be legendary to open them was death of superman all the rest you can open as premium
    • Like x 1
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Only if you own the episode...or are legendary. If you don't own it you will get a message that you must own the episode to open the box. You are right on Doomsday though, since there is no episode for sale there you have to be a member only.

Reinheld
  19. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Thanks again for all your help you guys :)

I just tried to buy a one month membership so I could create toons with powers I don't own. I play from Steam (PC) and when I clicked on the link in the Marketplace it directed me to add funds to my Steam wallet, which completed successfully. However when authorizing Daybreak Games to use that Steam money it gave me an error.

Then I tried to purchase a membership directly from the DC Universe Online official website, and even there it gave me an error after I entered my credit card details! Do these people just not want my money?! :(

I then submitted a customer service support ticket to Daybreak. Hopefully they resolve it soon and I can join in on the glory that is Membership! :D

Any of you guys ever experience these kinda problems when trying to become a Member?
  20. Ascended Well-Known Player

Never bought membership through Steam. I do it directly from the DCUO site. So no, can't say I've had that problem. Hope it gets fixed soon man.

Good luck, hope it gets fixed soon!
    • Like x 1