Giving credit where credit is due....Devs

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Feb 9, 2023.

1. BumblingB I got better.

Does this mean that you guys are unraveling the legacy code now? :O
    • Like x 1
  2. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

The devs trying to find the source of this problem:

[IMG]
  3. BumblingB I got better.

Yeah, because all the code is linked.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

That's...mostly what we do here.
    • Like x 6
  5. BumblingB I got better.

I can imagine! <3

I was hoping it was more like, making the old code modular. lol FWIW, I don't envy any of your devs that have to go through that code to fix unintended things just to add new stuff.
    • Like x 1
  6. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

We had a programmer here where I work who would deliberately write spaghetti code as a means of job security or so he thought. I falsely believed it made him integral to the Company and irreplaceable. As such, he began to mistreat others verbally believing he had job security. Needless to say he is no longer employed here, and it has cost the Company considerable to maintain the applications he wrote and in once case the Company had to spend over 15K to have an outside contractor re-write one of his programs.

I do not know if the ones responsible for writing the code which makes this game possible were under similar delusions but I would think for a new person who is hired to edit or completely re-work the programming it would be a daunting task. Fist to identify what part does what, then to identify why this does that, etc.

I commend the Dev’s efforts in maintaining and adding too this program.
  7. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I think our code gets a bad rap, both internally and externally. ;) DCUO was the first to do a lot of things. It had to, to put an MMO on a console, to put an MMO on PS3. When you're first, not everything ends up working out exactly the way future you would have wanted it. Given hindsight. Given not being first.
    • Like x 17
  8. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

• Like x 2
  9. RTX Well-Known Player

I´ve been away for some time and somehow the game feels way to stuttery in high populated areas, found that the game only utilizing 3 CPU Cores max. What i believe wasn´t the case before?! Could be an issue in synchronization of thread (animations?) dunno the game logic and render thread splits.

To the PS5 issue i´ve been thinking about the max utilization of gpu mem clock, since that piece of hardware is really squeamish with fast heat. Been wrong :eek:

Well, at some point all the materials will have an negative impact on performance, no matter the resolution...specificly if you draw seperate game objects at once. Thinking about environment and draw of many characters with different mats. There no max draw distance (fade out) will help.

Do the fancy materials all use multiple textures? Or some shader tricks (Normal UV movement etc)?
  10. beardrive Committed Player

This is quite funny to speak to, because I was going to make a similar post recently. Over the last years, over a period of time when you played you were going to crash. Proxystar even mentioned why that happens, I believe with ram leaks over time. Whatever is happening on PS5 I do not know, but on PS4 I am encountering almost zero crashes after the last update push. About 3 to 4 days before that I think I counted a dozen crashes in a single day. It's way better now! Thank you very much for fixing this!
  11. beardrive Committed Player

I forgot to say I regularly run 16 alts, and they're constantly warping in and out of bases and in and out of zones, and even playing on all of those alts I have not experienced crashes.
  12. Ryazan Dedicated Player

I hate to break the mood and the praises here, but I recently found out it didn't quite fix everything. Last week I attempted some TSDe feats with league, and found out that people are now crashing when they get up from being revived. Not sure if this is a thing that will now have the chance to happen anywhere or if it's specific to that raid itself (after all, it was one of the areas that were getting lag/fps drops before another hotfix), but this new type of crash only started happening after the teleport crash was finally fixed. :(