Generations: Shattered

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by EconoKnight, Sep 9, 2020.

1. EconoKnight XIII Legion

A new project from DC Comics worth keeping an eye on:

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-generations-event-shattered-original-batman

[IMG]

This is a re-purposing of the 5G plan DC scrapped earlier this year. That idea presented a DC Comics where “everything happened”. It created a real time DC Universe where Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne were born in 1939 leaving them now in their 80’s, and others had taken up their roles in the present day world. All the stories you’ve read over DC’s 80 year history would have happened in one form or another - it was all continuity.

But why bring this up in the DCUO gameplay forum? The Generations: Shattered idea could be a gateway to creating a love letter to DCUO. Everything happened. And the characters on that cover (some already in game - like the original model for Starfire) could be our guide as we walk through it.

—What if we had to face off against alpha build Joker?

[IMG]

—What if we were dropped into the last day of beta with the load test in Centennial Park?

https://dcuniverseonline.fandom.com/wiki/Battle_of_Legends

—What if the old idea was used of your modern character fighting tougher enemies on the other side of the Brainiac ship helping your character escape on the day you were “born”?

—What if we entered an instance and part of the group was shunted out of phase into one of the old “servers” (Zero Hour, Killing Joke, etc). This could be done with a cheat by creating two identical corridors on the same map spaced far apart from each other.

To go full meta like Metal Gear Solid, maybe one player could get stuck on the Catwoman “game is down” screen with voice and regular type chat still open. The parts of the group still on the map have to find digits of a fake credit card number for the load screen player to input; and if it’s done perfectly, you get a feat called “Back from the Hack Part 2”

—What if we drop into the Paradox Wave, and we see the back of a character as he defeats the Paradox Tyrant with the other bosses lying around already KO’ed. The character slowly turns to face us and a title appears above him - Deathmike. The infamous player who could solo any content is about to do the same to your raid group.

Just make it a grand tour of our history - DCUO history - as we try to navigate the shattered generations to piece the game back together again. If anything, it’s just fun to talk about it and remember everything we’ve done over the past decade.
    • Like x 3
  2. AV Loyal Player

I am for anything that gives us Booster Gold and/or Ted Kord content and would loooooooooooooooooove for them to adapt so many pre-crisis stories, as well the major crises we haven't seen yet. Pre-Infinite Crisis is, imo, the best DC era and it's always felt like such a gd tease that we got a lot of the og 52 storylines but no Booster Gold + Rip Hunter vs Mister Mind conclusion with Booster giving up his lifelong dream to save the multiverse. I'd kill to see a Countdown to Infinite Crisis storyline with Max Lord and Ted Kord.

Please give us Ted and Booster. Pleeeeeease. They're the best duo. They're also responsible for the single greatest panel in all of comics history:

[IMG]

Also, og Green Lantern: Rebirth is phenomenal and it kills me inside that it's not in the game:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  3. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Sadly as much as I like HL and those 'golden days' they cant be golden days if they're brought to life again. I'd rather find tune what we have so it's more manageable to play in then trying to reroll the game to 2010-2013 years. Just my 2 cents ofc
    • Like x 1
  4. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

while i like the premise i am very, very happy that the plans for 5g seem to have fallen wayside.

dc has been a mess since the new 52. too many continuity reboots.

and holey moley $9.99 for an 80 page comic!
  5. inferno Loyal Player

The original Superman/Batman Generations was a trade paperback release that went through 3 generations. I loved reading it for what it was; an Elseworlds story.

So their bringing that into current DC and "shattering" the original story? I guess I'm kinda intrigued.
  6. EconoKnight XIII Legion

It’s similar, but different; and they’ve been foreshadowing it in various DC titles for a few years now. The original plan to completely reboot DC was scrapped and not fully divulged, but it seemed like Doomsday Clock was meant to lead into the world of 5G.

In Doomsday Clock, it’s discovered that Dr Manhattan had been conducting experiments with DC history. Dr Manhattan was fixated on Superman, and every decade or so he would shift Superman’s debut ahead to see how Superman’s ideals held up in that time frame. The question is - what happens if Dr. Manhattan is defeated and the rubber band snaps putting the timeline back to what it was supposed to be before he started meddling with it? That would be 5G.

So we’re still getting it in some form, but it’s going to be an event or crossover maxi-series. That’s really what it needs to be - a change of pace for awhile but not a permanent change.
    • Like x 1
  7. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

You always have very creative ideas for the devs. Good stuff.

I'm very glad they have dropped the whole idea of 5G. Now that Didio's gone, hopefully DC Comics will move away from the whole "retconning the universe" for a sales boost. Things haven't been the same since the New 52.