Future Of The Game

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FluffyCloud99, Feb 6, 2023.

1. FluffyCloud99 Committed Player

Its no secret that times in the game are tough at the moment. The lack of staff, declining population on servers, lack of communication from the devs regarding the future of the game (Mostly pointing to the road map there). Daybreak has never been one for sharing with the community with departures from the team that works on the game, to what is going on behind the scenes with what they can and cannot/will not do regarding updates to the game due to the above reasons.

It got me wondering. If the strive to keep DCUO alive is still their for multiple more years (3-4+) is still there, then something major has to be done to preserve the longevity of the game. Coming from me, i have no idea what it takes to run a game of this level. I do not know the cost, man hours and other factors that may go into it, however... I would like to voice what i personally believe the game could/should do to preserve the future of itself.

First off: Game Engine Upgrade.
    Currently, the game is a mess. With outdated techonology and the amount of people willing to work with this technology is very low. Students, game developers in general want to work with newer technology to not only secure themselves in the ever growing business, but to be accepted to work on new games, modern games and not a dinosaur era game.
    Make the move to a newer Engine. Easier said than done, i get that. But if the game is to go on with any additional progress and not feel like the same clunky mess each episode/update then honestly, it needs a change. I get it would take a while to do so. A complete rework of the game, however, with new software and technology behind you, not only can you change the game in a huge way, you can also optimise, modernise the game to meet current game standards. Not only could you revamp powers, change the meta and include more mechanical elements to the game with a new look of the world and a new feel to raids with lighting, illumination from powers and update all the UI, AI and much more.

Secondly: Rebalance to the powers
    Currently as it stands, i see a few common things in the game on a day to day basis that really puts a awkward feeling into the game. With precision now becoming a top dps option, people will still always try to go for the more optimal power/movement. This not only makes everyone the same power, same dps, same movement. It also hinders support roles. All i see on LFG for a while now is "Need Tank" "Need Tank" "Need Tank" "Need Troll". The reason there is a shortage is because 40% of the population is Electricity, 40% is gadget dps only and the other 20% are regular, none meta powers.
    From an outside perspective it looks boring. The community at end game level want the best of the best. That means they want a top power dps, prec, 200 artifacts, full base mods, max gear, 800+SP and all the other things they ask for on LFG. Things need to be shaken up.

Thirdly: Communication
    I dont just mean on the forums messaging once in a blue moon and responding to bug reports. The devs that were so beloved by the community were the ones who played the game. Communicated with players on the forums, in game and elsewhere. The community want to feel included in the game. The occasional boss spawns, content with devs or even just duels and pvp with them were imo one of the best times in DCUO many moons ago.
    In my 5 months of being back, i think i have only seen 1 or so dev interaction in game and that was around the time of the charity events.
    It would be nice to see more interaction with us. Be transparent with us. You dont have to tell us every little detail that happens in the office, who left, who joined, who did what etc. We just want to learn about the game. Maybe instead of big episodic reveals each time, Drip feed small amounts of character art, images from the instaces/open world, Concept art to the content creators. The hype will build itself when we see the little teasers you give "OH MY. WE MIGHT GET XXX's STYLE IN THIS DLC" or "WOW THAT OPEN WORLD LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!" and "WE GET TO FIGHT ALONG SIDE CALANDER MAN!!!"

Fourth: Changes to game monetization
    Personally, i dont mind time capsules. Granted you could go down a whole rabbit hole of arguments with them, the main one being feats in them (Which i hate also). Artifact EXP should not be sold on MP, Ally EXP also. I am all for one having catalysts, metal detectors, seals etc but please, do not monetize stuff that makes you so extremely powerful.
    Source marks on the market is a big no no. They are easy to get. They should not be sold. The only things that should be on the market is styles, Base items, and all other none "pay to win" items.
    Instead. Put meaningful emotes, styles, toys, auras, movement effects and others such as those in the market place. Im sure alot of people would purchase different colour lightning for their speedsters or different plates for skimming, gliders for acrobatics and idk? Maybe fire with flight, like a meteor burning through the sky.

This year will be rough, i know it will. I am keeping my expectations moderately low for the time being in hopes i will be surprised by what this game can become. Every episode/small content patch things are introduced already broken. Feats, Encounters, Overtuned things, Broker being even more of a mess, bugs with character log in screens and crashing when in content or loading screens.

Enjoy the rest of your night/day wherever you may be :)
    • Like x 2
  2. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

If they ever overhauled this game like a true overhaul .. which they won’t… I’d like them to do away with the role system totally. I know this is a totally different game but I did like the scorch of marvel avengers where no one person could as a specific role
  3. FluffyCloud99 Committed Player

The issue with being roleless is that it will completely change the game and with how the game is set up with instances and such, i dont think it would ever work. I would like to maybe introduce a few powers that can self sustain their health while dealing a little less damage. Useful for Solo content/Duo stuff. Like a battle healer/Battle fire tank etc
  4. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I’d have to disagree because it does work in legends pve there is no role there so it can work…8 personally like the “role” system but how hard it is to get a support role I’d rather they’d just do away with the roles..I know it will never bappen. But I can dream
  5. FluffyCloud99 Committed Player

With balanced powers, support roles will be more available as people will play what they want and not the meta.
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Bad example. If this game were to be reworked to be anywhere on par with Legends there would be a grand exodus of players. It would literally be DPS Universe Online, everyone's damage would be nerfed to the floor, there would be less incentive from the dev team to come out with any innovative content or artifacts and the game would just suck.
    • Like x 1
  7. Grim931 Committed Player

You're missing the point...

The person was just pointing out a proof of concept. I agree with them, roles in this game are ridiculous when you take the source material into account. It never should've been a thing for a superhero-themed game, and it's been a hindrance from the start.

The rest of your post is just paranoia, there's no reason they couldn't do the opposite and get more creative with powers not needing to fit within a certain criteria.
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Oh ok
  9. DarkMastery Active Player

The cold blunt truth is unfortunately if this game doesn't upgrade it's screwd it's doomed. Back then it was ok for that time but this isn't going to fly any longer. The stubborn knuckleheads wanting the same repeat DLC cycle are apart of the problem and now time has caught up and in doing so will screw us all .

New fresh talents don't want to work on this fossil they will leave and seek there bright futures elsewhere unfortunately. The blunt cold truth is Dcuo has massive potential EG7 are no fools they know this and I would bet probably have a plan either in motion or being worked on to upgrade from UE3 to at least UE4. Because without it this beautiful game will sink.
    • Like x 2
  10. zNot Loyal Player

Agree but even now we arent getting any innovative content
  11. zNot Loyal Player

True but for that they also need to design raids differently they purposly design them to benefit the 5 dps setup + low difficulty on the tank/heal some of the reasons healers can run 3 sc is because the content is too easy imaging having the „hardest“ content ingame doable with only half a loadout needed as healer.

Troller can buff instead of power troll because power is barely needed because the fights are thanks to the meta short and fast and power generally isnt a issue its all connected with eachother the game is a big mess interms of its balance also be prepared for the thread to be locked :)
  12. FatL69 New Player

It's not that easy. Can't just press a button and now I'm a fully built buff troll. You have to build up a totally new set of arts.

Still blows my mind how an entire playstle was just left behind, and nothing was done about it.
  13. xXlNesTlXx Well-Known Player

For us, videogames are a passion...for Daybreak, is just a bussines...and is pretty obvious this business is nearly to end...they gonna continue providing clonic episodes until game population get reduced to a minimal number, and then...boom! shutdown

Be smart, and not expect a new engine, a PvP rework or any other big update, because nothing of this gonna happen...just 2 or 3 years more of minimal content and that's its all....
  14. zNot Loyal Player

After all,that many devs leaving even high ranked individuals shows that they know something about the future of the game that we dont.
    • Like x 1
  15. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Could it also be that they merely followed a charismatic leader to his new company? The end result is what we have now, multiple positions open with those who remain left performing duties they were not previously ever hired to do. I do not believe the personnel turnover is a result of employees abandoning ship, I think they just followed a charismatic leader. However, leaving the Company understaffed is a bad thing that most certainly will lead to negative results if not fully staffed in a timely manner. Projects can be put on hold for only so long before it adversely impacts the Company.

It is possible some of this under staffed work load is being outsourced to other parts of EG7 until these positions can be filled with permanent personnel.
    • Like x 1
  16. BumblingB I got better.

It's interesting how so many people are hyper-fixated on the UE3 engine. It's NOT what's holding back the game. It could be, if the actual thing that is holding it back wasn't there. Which is the legacy code. Blame the PS3, but the game was designed with what is called "spaghetti code" which is a fancy way of saying it's not modular at all and is done in one giant mess of a web.

Rebalancing of powers is definitely something that should be done, but I feel that the devs might be hesitant because of player backlash as we've seen in the past. In either regard, they need to look at this, but they also need to do it more sweeping and not a little at a time. Every time they do a few at a time, the first few get in a good spot and they lose interest in the last ones or make the first ones underperform. They also need to look at weapons, considering how easy DW and Brawling are.

Your last two points are less game related but personal related. Communication and Monetization are definitely on everyone's mouth, but doesn't affect how the game works.
    • Like x 1
  17. JDIRS Well-Known Player

There is definitely some money-grabby stuff that DCUO could do that would also be good for the game, or at least build diversity, like the previously hinted at additional armory or artifact slot. I mean, selling emotes is fine, but having more stuff that affects combat too may cast a wider net as far as those mostly in it for the game play.

Also, if there is nothing new to communicate, lack of communication is probably for the best. There is likely no need to restate "no current plans" in every other thread.
  18. not serious Well-Known Player

For me, what hurts the most the future of the game is to create or leave too many things that divide the players.
    So please do things that appeal to a majority of players for a better future of the game, rather than re-doing things that are not appreciated.
    • Like x 2
  19. zNot Loyal Player

But understaffed to which degree they hired most of the spots back and some of the spots dont even work on programming or stuff that actually is content rather managing stuff i remember when charon respond to my thread a year or so ago about them hiring devs they needed like 8 devs or so which were almost all positions for programming design etc they filled most of these spots..

I mean what do they need now art director programmer lead designer not like we like get huge nice content once these spots are filled lol and the argument theres no direction due to no ceo,executive producer exactly thats why they should work on balancing the game because thats common sense to do seems like the previous ones didnt care about that and the state of the game is obvious and locking and deleting threads that talk about this topic without telling us what exactly there plans are or just put some proper announcment on what they think isnt cool if they say once we get the devs we will work on these etc then we can understand it or just tell us that u dont plan to work on them,say something its not a topic that should/could be ignored.
    • Like x 2
  20. Derio 15000 Post Club

It is very hard to come in to a new game and understand the existing code especially if there is poor documentation. URE3 is also a problem. If Daybreak isnt throwing money at people to come work on this engine then the hiring process will be harder. Most companies are paying top dollar for people to work on URE5. And gues what, most people are working with URE5 or swapping from 4.

The game suffers from multiple points. Power balance, new player experience, monetization, marketing, UI and how powerful your character is depends on how powerful your wallet is or how long you can sell your soul.

Honestly it would benefit them probably more if they were to just create DCUO2 with a new engine, UI, new dev team, new monetization, marketing, new combat style to take advantage of next gen hardware. One of the biggest turn offs from DCUO that it has never recovered from is its monetization. It is hard to recommend a game who's monetization tactics are worse than BDO with old graphics.
    • Like x 2