Fix Pet Tanking for Earth

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by AIpha, May 15, 2013.

1. FrostyMagma New Player

Like the totem idea
    but a shield that crushes i dontthink so maybe Dazes the enemy. Dont see how you can be crushed by hitting something
  2. Octantis New Player

I used my power points to get both Aftershocks and Pet Tanking build powers so that I can swap when needed.

I have been trying to solo Ace Chemicals to get the Treasure Chest in there (looking for Snake legs), and I ran out of power pretty fast trying to use the Aftershocks build. I respec'd to add Pet Tanking to my Loadout and, lo and behold, I survived better.

Next my League did a 5-man FoS 2, and I tried the Pet Tanking and was met with pretty good success until an inevitable first wipe at the Bridge. Switched to Aftershocks and had a worse time. Back to Pet and beat the bridge easily.

Haven't tried Pet in T5 Ops, since Aftershocks works well enough, but so far it seems that the Pet Tanking, at least from my initial experiences, is Earth's absolute best Tanking style. If it needs a buff, then I support it.
    • Like x 2
  3. FrostyMagma New Player

use the pet with an aftershock as aftershock gives you 25% and damage shift shift to golum gives 25% for a total of 50%
    that with white sockets and sheild you should be taking less damage than an ice.
    all you need to do is ground pound X4 or use the first one a wind type i guess.
    didnt know if you knew this or not i was just saying
  4. Octantis New Player

What I understood of Earth was that they did the following:

- Receive 25% Absorbtion while in Tank Stance
    - +25% Absorbtion while Damage Shift is up
    - +25% Absorbtion from using just one Aftershock (an Update to the power changed Aftershocks to only needing 1 instead of 3 to get max Absorbtion)
    - Bonus Absorbtion from Damage Shift and Aftershocks do not stack
    - Gemstone Shield is the only other way to add additional damage prevention

If I'm wrong let me know. I like the Pet Tanking because you can begin fights at Max Absorbtion rather than have to build up to it. Those few seconds saved my butt. However I have since learned to do my Aftershocks before the battle begins :p
  5. FrostyMagma New Player

I played earth before update that how it was.
  6. Octantis New Player

Okay, just making sure I wasn't misunderstanding anything :)
  7. Kristyana New Player

You get the 25% DA from being in tank stance and you get an additional 25% from Aftershocks OR from the pet, not both at the same time. There's no real point to putting both at the same time on your loadout.

Octanis is correct as to how it works now :)
    • Like x 1
  8. FrostyMagma New Player

You said NOW! I said this is how it was before the updated version. i havent played the updated version
  9. IpkonfigCMD New Player

But still even if you went pet build you could keep Jackhammer just in case the pet gets nuked. You'll run Unstoppable anyways which sets up PI for Jackhammer. Damage Shift gives the 25% and using any power will taunt so Jackhammer still fills that role it's just that with the pet up there is no point in using aftershocks unless you have breathing room for CC/Damage with the PI up.
  10. Kristyana New Player

Aftershocks and the pet have NEVER stacked their absorption. 25% came from the pet OR aftershocks, and the other 25% was from casting a power in tank role.
  11. FrostyMagma New Player

EEHHH! whatever i play fire i used to play earth. Earth is fun. But FIRE OS OWNAGE!!!
  12. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

There is one exception to the rule; Damage Shift stacks with Gemstone Shield's damage absorption. Otherwise, Kristyana is correct in that Damage Shift never stacked with Aftershocks. If it did, they fixed it a long, long time ago.
  13. Kristyana New Player

I thought Gemstone Shield's aftershocks only affected the shield and not your overall absorption like Jackhammer and Upheaval?

If you used Gemstone Shield without damage shift or aftershocks active and only your innate 25% DA bonus, I don't remember the absorption sticking at 50% after the shield went down.
  14. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Well, to be more specific, Gemstone Shield emulates what a damage absorption can do, except it could take damage only so much. It's still considered a type of damage absorption, which is why Jackhammer and Upheaval don't stack with it, but unlike the latter two, it can stack with Damage Shift.

The shield grants two types of absorption in Tank role. First is the regular 25%. The other is its increased damage absorption, though currently only working with its aftershocks (initial casting is bugged). They don't stack, so the one with the higher absorption gets priority. Now the the reason for this is that, if your shield gets broken within 12 seconds, you still get the regular 25% absorption for casting a power.
  15. 13igtyme Devoted Player

Aftershocks and damage shift have never stacked.
  16. FrostyMagma New Player

EEHHH! whatever i play fire i used to play earth. Earth is fun. But FIRE OS OWNAGE!!!
  17. 13igtyme Devoted Player

Don't add to what I said. Learn how to quote.
  18. AIpha New Player

You and drift are both right in a sense. Gemshield will not give you absorption but it does sort of stack. If you have tour 50% absorption and use gemstone just the power no aftershocks it will absorb 50% of the damage you were going to take after YOUR 50% was applied which means your effective absorption is actually 75% but it only lasts until the shield has taken damage equal to your dom +resto and then you go back to your normal 50%. Just using gemshield only gives absorption to the shield like you said though not yourself.
    • Like x 1
  19. AIpha New Player

I agree brick is fine in the lower stuff because your Cr is higher than it needs to be for those but right now in t5s its useless to pet tank.
  20. Octantis New Player

And since I have thus far been holding up your feedback on Earth as the best, this I why I have chosen to not even attempt it, lol.