Fire vs Atomic healing potential.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Kanmaru, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

We know that both are capable of self healing themselves with certain powers in their arsenal. My question is which one is the better healer? I know that Fire has multiple ways to pop abilities and heal without any additional input but what does this mean for Atomic?

Fire benefits from Restoration and Atomic benefits from Dominance. Since the dominance stat was removed from DPS and PvP gear aside from support and OP variants with having to also be in Tank role (aside from Proton Remedy), doesn't that put Atomic and a major disadvantage in comparison?

One allows you to activate an ability and do other things while the other keeps you locked in animation to heal by combos hoping you don't drop them or get stunned. If one or the other is better or worse, what could be done to make them a better version of themselves?
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

You’re now trying to say atomic is at a disadvantage because fire can self heal better in dps role? You’re a dps, why are you worried about healing?

When you look at the tanking fire can self heal while atomic has innate damage mitigation with the aura up. And atomic has arguably a better rotation for juggling adds. Both can complete all content as a tank without issue as long as the user understands their power.

Comparing as a dps and the healing isn’t relevant unless you’re soloing bounties. And at that point they have different ways to handle those situations too. No, atomic doesn’t need to have its healing looked at…
  3. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I was asking a question, via the question mark. What I was referring to was how they both function differently and how one possibly does it better because it has the stat (restoration) and mechanics required to do so. I don't think Atomic healing sucks at all, I was only asking which one was better between the two.

I think it's also fair and appropriate that I mentioned healing in all aspects so you can compare how they stack up against one another. You CAN use both powers as hybrids DPS/tank but obviously one is going to be worse than the other in certain aspects. Fire solely benefits from Restoration and Atomic, Dominance. You can't really run a DPS/ Tank hybrid as Atomic because you don't have any additional dominance stat to help your heals.

People are allowed to play and experiment with their powersets and you saying that doesn't really help the freedom of choice now does it? I truly think that you wake up and chose violence on the daily.
  4. Forum Junkie Well-Known Player

Fire op. I tank with lernaea trans and solar amp and channel away without interruption.
    • Like x 1
  5. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

Does the seal of seven not benefit it well anymore or is that just pure DPS?
    • Like x 1
  6. Forum Junkie Well-Known Player

I tend to battle tank of sorts, full tank gear, but stat super power and go heavy on the DPS. I have tank arts but never got them past 99 because fire heals quite well and the health pool is extremely high. I'm not even full elite with gear and I have 735k health. So I spam the target select while channelling making sure to hit all the enemies with a power to get aggro and rotate snuff out, absorb heat, and heat vision. I use the Superman breakout shield everytime it's off cool down because lernaea is sure to break it so there is no cool down on the shield. I use hL shield and a healing ability that sets fire to attacking enemies setting up the pi to get the max healing benefit. If I did pvp I would certainly do a resto build and use fang, symbol, and clarion. I just don't need symbol because I never block and my defense and health pool is raised.
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Yes a power whose tank mechanic was designed around self healing will have better healing than a power who wasn’t design that way. Why should anything be changed because it wasn’t designed to be a healer tank? And who said atomic cant hybrid? It’s probably the best power designed to do so. You have the habit of taking an aspect about atomic and try to make it sound like it’s lagging behind the others. Atomic has absolutely no issues dpsing tanning battle tanking or doing hybrid stuff. It can be played many ways.
  8. Jcal Dedicated Player

Fire is a better healer because its sole tanking mechanic is healing. It's supposed to be a better healer, and it is. Atomic has combo heals, shields, and damage mitigation. You can't compare the two because each was created with different design goals in mind. Fire comes from simpler times, where you healed and blocked. Atomic was meant to be a strong battle tank, thus properly clipping Atomic combos yields high damage output - much more damage than any might based fire tank could put out. Atomic has multiple shields that make picking people up easier or make interacting with objectives easier. That's stuff that matters.

Now what you're talking about, healing in damage role... that's kinda moot. All powersets have ways to stay alive. Some are better than others. Fire is very strong in this regard. That being said, there is a limit to what you can handle in damage role. The bar isn't very high. And if you sacrifice too much damage for survivability, than what's even the point of being in damage role? You might as well battle tank and cruise through whatever you're playing.

In terms of hybrids - battle support is what you want. Damage role is for damage. There are no advantages to trying to play a hybrid in damage role; there are only disadvantages.
    • Like x 3
  9. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I absolutely agree that Atomic is a very good tank. I just wanted to know who could potentially heal better between the two of them. What you are referring to is how the pure DPS side of things are and yes, I do think it needs some work.

I also agree that Atomic can Hybrid for Tank role/Tank gear battletank but Tank role/DPS gear or DPS role/Tank gear is a bit different because of two things. One, you cannot heal from combos without being in Tank role aside from your Supercharges or Proton Remedy. Two, DPS gear and PvP gear have completely removed the Dominance stat which limits your creative loadouts. All of these combinations were possible pre-revamp. The removal of the Dominance stat to certain types of gear could've possibly ruined new ideas for loadout potential.

It really comes down to which power has been dealt the better hand.
  10. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

This is very well explained and I appreciate it. However, I will mention that different types of mixing gear and roles was possible before our current revamp. A lot of things got removed afterwards. The creative possibilities prior were endless.
  11. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That’s still not true..

None of the tank powers can “tank” as dps role. Even with tank gear. That’s because tank aggro is based exclusively on being a tank role. It’s just that simple. If you’re not in tank role then it follows Standard aggro rules which is based on a formula. If a dos wears tank gear then yes they could have dom to cc but that’s not tanking. Tanking is holding aggro and keeping your group safe for the dps to do the damage and kill things. By wearing tank gear and/or tank loadout than you’ll be lowering your damage and in turn putting yourself at the bottom of the aggro table. On top of that it’s the tank mechanics that factor more into being a tank than stats. Every tank has their unique mechanics and the only power whose mechanic transfers over to dos role is ice since ice armor can be activated as a dps. But even then the ice players defense isn’t as high as being in tank role. Fire is not just self heal. It’s also the fire soul for the boosted defense. The closest to being able to tank in dps heat is earth with brick. Having brick draw in aggro from fortify. But that’s still not tanking and sorcery can do the exact same thing.

Swapping setup and dpsing in tank role atomic actually does better than fire for the simple reason that the damage mitigation from the aura is not based on any stats and is always a flat reduction. Same with earth brick tanking damage transfer. Yes fire can heal better than atomic. That’s obvious. Fire was designed specifically to do that very thing. That doesn’t take anything away from atomic. You keep taking a single aspect of a power and try to stretch it to make a false point. You did that with the dps saying atomic dps was lacking because it didn’t have dots. You can NOT judge any power by a singular part of its kit while ignoring everything else it has to fulfill its purpose. That’s not how it works. I can do the exact same thing. Maybe fire should be buffed because it has mot straight damage mitigation?
  12. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Still not true. You can NOW maximize stats in content and find unique builds BECAUSE of the revamp. I am now able to face “tank” bosses while having similar levels of survivability as a tank with nine tank powers. I can go in to raids as a dps and cc things like trolls and tanks. I came make builds that take advantage of the stats. I can now essentially have the stats of all roles mixed into one set of gear.
    • Like x 1
  13. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Your DPS is 0 when you're dead.

That's why I build healing into DPS roles, but I'm also doing a lot of... weird stuff with mine, so... but yeah, I still assign Healing crits to my Fire and Electric Might DPS builds because "not all healers are good".
    • Like x 1