Final solution for every power-related problem.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ghaladh, May 31, 2015.

1. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

What if the devs would totally remove the damage role along with its AM?

- Everyone would play a support role.
    - The differences of damage score would be minimal.
    - Every role would give a significant contribution to the session.
    - No team would be missing a role and every team would be much more balanced.
    - There wouldn't be any balance issue, because support roles are absolutely balanced.
    - The devs would be able to develop content without being continuously distracted by balance issues.
    - PvP would be more balanced again.
    - Players would be more prone to focus on mechanics rather than just damage.
    - Team-play would greatly benefit, for no one would feel compelled to ignore a fallen companion to avoid losing the AM damage buff or interrupting their rotation.
    - More personalized play-style, since you are not restricted by the choices forced on you by AM.

I hardly see any cons.

Without the hyper-damage dealt by AM, of course, the foes have to be half the health they have now.
    All that would be left to do would be to tweak certain weapons to make them more balanced and everything would work just perfectly.

Even PoT overriding when multiple controllers are present wouldn't be much of a problem, since you would have controllers using the PoT power regularly in their rotation to make damage and apply CC effects.

How would you feel about that?
  2. Remander Steadfast Player

*grabs popcorn*
    • Like x 6
  3. Illuminating Heaven Well-Known Player

This is DPs universe online ,without the dps ppl will leave
  4. Juxes Committed Player

A whole year of updates to give every power AM and you want them to just remove it just like that? That would be a whole lot of wasted time and resources that could've went somewhere else.
    • Like x 2
  5. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

AM are wasted time and resources that could've went somewhere else. :-D All of the balance issues are.
    • Like x 1
  6. MetalMario Loyal Player

In the off case you're not trolling, I'll mention a few down sides. Main cons are that damage is the most popular role by a huge margin, this would do literally nothing to help with balance, this doesn't ensure you have the roles you need anyway, and this would be a massive amount of work with nothing to gain from it from the developers. It would probably be easier and better overall to remove the non-damage roles and rebalance based on that.
    • Like x 1
  7. TrueGODofMarvel New Player

I stopped reading here. That isnt true at all. Rage would become the damage power for tanks. Celestial for healers. HL for trolls.
    • Like x 1
  8. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Not so sure about that. AM created a bad kind of player. Before that, DCUO was packed with people and the damage role was just one of the available roles, instead of being the main used role.
  9. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

About Rage might be true, but try to compare the damage dealt by different powers in support role in the same session. You will see that is nothing like the damage role now.
  10. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Not trolling. I understand it's a crazy idea, but I am really interested in knowing what you think about that. Removing a role is not really a massive amount of work. The damage role is popular because it's the one that allows you to run sessions as fast as possible. I feel that people wouldn't miss it so much. The developers would gain peace of mind and could dedicate their time on adding more content. The damage role is the only role with balance issues.
  11. spack2k Steadfast Player

lets see ...
    • Like x 1
  12. Nightscale New Player

I'm not a huge fan of this. The roles are there for a reason. The reason people tend to default to damage dealer is because they think it is the easiest role, a misconception that is entirely untrue. In fact, every role in DCUO is balanced in learning curve (except for trolling, which isn't as straightforward). It clearly depends on the mechanics of the fight at hand. For example, some fights make DPS the hardest role, and tank the easiest, because the DPS has the job of activating a mechanic (such as hurling a giant sword), or changing targets constantly, while the tank just sits and blocks, tanking both adds while stopping every now and again to maintain aggro.

Removing the roles will just make the game that much more difficult, because everyone's job isn't defined. It would just be anarchy. The only time roles don't exactly matter is while soloing, doing alerts, or when playing a MOBA-style game. The reason for the unbalance in DPS between roles is because every role has a job, not necessarily doing damage.
    • Like x 1
  13. Derio 15000 Post Club

If would go from DCUO to DCUO( DC Universe Offline)
    • Like x 1
  14. Biester New Player

I think it is a good idea but the problems of balance wouldn't just disappear by doing this. It's not just the dps side of powersets that are imbalanced. EVERYTHING in the game is unbalanced from support roles to content difficulty amongst tiers to the content involved in tiers.

Gu 36 was implemented well over a year ago with the goal of overall balance amongst the powersets. Over a year later and the powersets are almost as imbalanced as they were before gu 36. Throw in the fact that the devs have just implemented another major game-changing update before the issues that derived from the last major game-changing update have even been close to being solved and we find ourselves in one giant mess of upcoming "fixes" to address problems derived both from gu 36 and gu 47. Does anyone actually believe the devs have enough man-power or competence to fix the problem of balance in this game?

I think the devs have put themselves in over their heads for right now with trying to implement new satisfactory content along with trying to solve the problems of two major updates. I don't think anyone should expect anything revolutionary or even slightly game-changing for a long time until the devs have solved a large portion of the problems in the game. The next year or so will probably be the most bland, dullest time in dcuo so far and it couldn't come at a worse time. Eso, heavensward, the destiny expansion, and many more games are beginning to flood the markets with excitingly new gameplay all the while dcuo is still trying to figure out basic concepts such as balance.
  15. Sbel Devoted Player

That's not true. Role Optional queueing and roleless buffs were added shortly after the game went F2P because there were already way too many dps.
  16. Biester New Player

People tend to play dps role not because of ease, but because the devs have made the dps role the most attractive role to play with unending revamps,new mechanics that change the way a powerset plays, and content that is basic enough to allow the stacking of as many dps' as possible.

If the devs did the same for support roles then players would probably be inclined to play more as a support role to check out the new changes. The devs claim they have no control over how the community plays but they sure have a huge influence on it. Revamp the support roles as much as the dps roles and see what effect it would have on the disparity between roles amongst the community.
    • Like x 1
  17. ChuckLess New Player

You are very, very new aren't you? :rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  18. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

yeah, I've been playing only for a very very short 3 years long period.:rolleyes:
  19. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Never had a problem finding a role before the introduction of the AM and , while there were a lot of DpS, almost all of them were able to play their support role as well. You would hardly meet someone saying "I only play DpS, I have no support role armory". Now, instead, is the norm.
  20. Sbel Devoted Player

They're not going to get rid of AMs after they just spent a year + a ton of money adding them. o_O Try suggesting it next year, they seem to like making major changes every April/May. :rolleyes:

My objection to this, that I've made every time it gets suggested. Players often have radically different loadouts, depending on whether they want to dps or heal, etc. So if you get rid of the dps role, it's going to majorly mess up queueing, because you'll have a large number of dps queueing as healer (or whatever) with no healing powers and no idea how to heal. And the queue will just treat them like healers.

I was in an MMO before this, where people queued by class instead of by role. It really sucked if you a) wanted a healer, or b) wanted to play the Medic class as a dps.