Figured out button layout to have larger ability tray!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

So people always kept asking for a way to increase the ability tray for the use of more powers. I’m sure it could be done easily on PC but since the console was a factor Daybreak was probably afraid to go this route. But worry not since I’ve figured it out while testing my controller comfort.

Let’s say our normal way to use our abilities would be (PS4) L2 or R2 then L1, R1, ❌,⬛️,,⭕️.

So usually we use L2 or R2 first to engage with our tray commands correct? To be able to utilize another 8 abilities, why not have us just Hold L2 or R2 and use the D Pad? Holding L2 or R2 and cycling through the direction of the Dpad (Up, Down, Left, Right) would indeed increase our ability to utilize more powers.

Let’s say you have 6 abilities already in your primary tray? You could then go to loadout tab in traits and place a new power in (Hold L2 + Left Dpad) or (Hold R2 + Up Dpad)

This logic is sound and completely possible. The question is if the devs want us to have that much freedom?

I feel like I’ve finally made a breakthrough for us console DC players.
  2. Knarlydude Loyal Player

All they have to do is make it work like mental & gadgets. How long has mental and gadgets been in game and PS players using that extra load out? Ohh yeah, they were original powers. So yeah, DCUO has been able to add more than 6 powers since release. They just chose not to expand. Don't get your hopes up.
  3. StealthBlue Loyal Player

The d-pad already has uses in combat. During combat, you are generally holding down L1 to keep a target lock. With L1 held down, up and down on the d-pad zoom in and out, and left and right cycle through enemies. So to utilize these extra abilities you would have to drop target lock, which means your attack might not be directed where you want it.

With that being said, you could potentially gain 4 powers from what we currently have by requiring both R2 and L2 be pressed while pressing square, circle, triangle, or X.

As a reminder R2 + L2 and the d-pad is currently used for armories.
  4. StealthBlue Loyal Player

Don't forget sorcery, nature, and ice (possibly others too) have additional loadouts. Some may require the use of supercharges, though. In any case, to access the additional powers you go into a different state that is either time delayed (supercharges) and/or a form change that has additional characteristics and limitations. Gadgets, for example, using stealth gives you your extra tray space. However, stealth has a cooldown and only certain powers can be used without dropping stealth.

Of course, they could create something that changes your loadouts bar on the fly (meaning you only have access to 5 powers at a time because the 6th is used to change your loadout). The closest thing to this in have would be the Huntress legends character (possibly others as well), though she does switch weapons.

Alternatively, they could reduce the cooldown on armories or split the in combat cooldown between same role and different time armory swaps
    • Like x 1
  5. the solowing Steadfast Player

R1+L1?
  6. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

You do realize that holding L2 or R2 individually and pressing a Dpad button does nothing right? That’s why I said they could map those commands with each other. You seem to have misread the entire thread.
  7. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

No need. L2 or R2 with the any direction on the Dpad is more than enough.
  8. Azreaus Committed Player

So you wanna copy FFXIV's controller layout then?
    • Like x 2
  9. the solowing Steadfast Player

Yes, but dont let proxy see this xD. But im sure they will need to re-balance many things to get it to work
    • Like x 1
  10. Azreaus Committed Player

Should be possible to make it so we have access to 12 skill and 1x soda / 1x trinket / 2x free slots by making the Utility Belt function a permanent part of the ability tray (keep the gear slot in the Inventory for extra stats) - so holding L2 will let you use skills assigned to both the D-Buttons and action buttons and R2 will assign the last 4 skills to the D-Buttons and the soda/trinket/free slots to the action buttons.
    • Like x 1
  11. Rainnifer Committed Player

Before they ever add any more slots for abilities in the tray, they'd have to consider re-balancing a huge amount of powers and cooldowns. Especially shields and the like because with more slots you could have almost any shield available in your tray and essentially be invincible except for possible one shots. We all know how long it takes for them to re-balance things though.
    • Like x 1
  12. the solowing Steadfast Player

the question is are people willing to hold off on content cycles to see it done
  13. Merlin2574 Well-Known Player

And yet PC is left out. Hence why they probably haven't implemented any changes.
  14. Rainnifer Committed Player

PC could just as easily do the same thing, press a button to access all the secondary powers for each number. Ways to use more powers is not the problem.
  15. Merlin2574 Well-Known Player

Personally I think we have enough as it is. That's why there are extra loadouts, based on the roles you choose. You can have one set for Damage, and another set for Tank/Troll/Healer. Then there are those that you get when you use a certain power, like stealth for gadgets.
    • Like x 1
  16. the solowing Steadfast Player

More choice is good just add on to let the dpad work on a bumper[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  17. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

I'd leave r1 + L1 alone. Already in use.

A tank could be blocking (holding r1), while holding L1, and using d-pad (left/right) to cycle through next enemies to Target ( single taunt or lunge).

Same goes for (up/down), when blocking (r1) near a tall NPC, or blocking near a wall, the camera sometimes gets cut off and you can't see the SKULL above the head. Use the zoom (L1+up/down) and camera pan (right joystick) to readjust.
  18. Azreaus Committed Player

Yeppers, that why I only suggested using L2/R2 (hold inputs only) so you'd just have to release the loadout button to switch the D-Buttons back to zoom/target switch functionality.
    • Like x 1
  19. the solowing Steadfast Player

Youre right
  20. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

That was pretty much what I meant in my thread.