Expanding open world pvp

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FrostedFlakes, Feb 7, 2016.

1. FrostedFlakes Level 30

we need something to really spice up the things in pvp. Why dont the devs make an
    Map or existing in metro/Gotham objective based situations. Basically it would be like taking over an Area heroes and villains will fight to control the area and to make things even more fun there would be a way to maybe spawn an boss to help defend. Ik this is crazy and all but its would be cool as heck :cool:
    • Like x 3
  2. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

I would quit if forced to play pvp. I refuse all pvp content in this game and want no part of it.
    • Like x 3
  3. FrostedFlakes Level 30

which is why i suggested it could be an map like the Gotham wastelands expect its for pvp objective. no one would be forced.
    Some of you might be wondering why not just play in the pvp phase open world its the same thing. Well no thats just too stale theres really no reward or joy in doing that its just a kill fest for nothing
    • Like x 1
  4. Avian Dedicated Player

PvE with PvP elements is a no no however I think PvP with PvE elements would be very interesting. I don't think it would help in terms of open world PvP but having a PvP mode that has MOBA elements would be pretty fun.

Having to defeat NPCs to gain stat boosts while also having to do other objectives to finally destroy the enemy base thing would be fun. Disclaimer: I actually don't know squat about MOBAs. The only one I'd ever play if it was would be SMITE because it looks more up close and personal which is what a game mode like this in DCUO would be with the counter system and role mechancics.

This probably wouldn't be doable though but would be a pretty fun addition to the game if it could be.
    • Like x 1
  5. Konialis Well-Known Player

Actually with stat flattening and pvp gear and mods only available in pvp it would be very doable since it makes sure that all players have similar stats, hell make a legends version too and you basically have the dc universe version of smite
    • Like x 2
  6. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

I don't care what happens to PvP as long as I am able to turn it off completely. I want nothing to do with anything that would open spaces means automatically available for combat against other players or anything else that would have been my choice make the active to be attacked by another PC. The only reason I buy PvP equipment is for styles and then I sell them or dump them
    • Like x 1
  7. Konialis Well-Known Player

you really hate pvp dont you:rolleyes:
  8. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

With a few notable exceptions.... Which I would gladly have changed to PvE.... Yes. Ardently. Vociferously. Passionately. I find little value to the game play and behaviors associated with it. But... I am more than happy to allow those who love it to expand as much as they want with other willing participants as long as it does not interfere or supersede PvE play.
  9. theswoosh Well-Known Player

you dont like pvp...point made...move along.....

btw i like the idea, unfortunatly, like many other great pvp ideas im afraid this will never even be considerd :(
    • Like x 1
  10. The peoples Badguy Committed Player

The Bad guy agrees with idea. The Bad One hopes that the Pve side gets eliminated completely. How can players call them selves hero's but never defend their city. These so called hero's are scared to leave the safety of a police station. If you are going to play a game based on comic books then you should be prepared to fight in the open world. Would Superman switch phases if herd Metallo was in Chinatown? The people suggest you peons hang up your capes.
    • Like x 2
  11. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

You think attempts (failed) at shaming is going to change anyone who hates PvP's mind? Look, you go have fun with your PvP arenas and instances or whatever you guys do in DCUO's PvP mode. Most people want no part of it, or very limited play. Go. Have fun. Come back when you want to play PvE WITH people, not AGAINST people.

But as for any idea that sets up baby seals to club so someone can get their jollies at the expense of another's good time? Nope.
    • Like x 1
  12. Veritasum Loyal Player

But then why are you in this thread that has nothing to do with your gameplay? Bashing the idea and further bashing the idea of PvP as a whole? If you want nothing of it, then the majority of threads are PvE related where you can type out all the love possible and keep it all positive. Just sayin.
    • Like x 1
  13. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

"Open World PvP" in the "Gotham City" General Discussion forum. That's why I commented.

I don't go into the PvP forum because I've generally no interest there, and the few times I've gone in and read stuff hoping to learn something new for the PvE aspect of the game and I've backed out going "Wow... PvP issues. Not my concern. Not what I was looking for" Reminds me too much of the nerdragefights in MWO over how to get the game nerf/buffed to match the favorite playstyle of certain epeen measurers to game the system so they can be invincible. Just nope... no more. Let's just keep the two separate. I know that's how a lot of PS guys roll, but that doesn't mean that's everybody's gig.

Open World implies there will be no more separation and that the default state is PvP is "always on" or there are zones where the game has it turned automatically on. If that was not the intent of the OP... well then it should have been made more clear. If you want an open warfare zone, get Daybreak to create a new open world map. No part of any current map should be made default "on" for PvP, unless you are talking separate servers like I believe they used to have (till the population proved it couldn't support it's own PvP open world server). Someone more senior in this game can correct that if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that being a thing.

I just want to make it very clear at the outset there are people here who do not wish to be forced into PvP lest the idea seem to resonate in a dev somewhere and they try it. PvP by choice? Good. Excellent. No problems with it. Have a ball. PvP by default? Unacceptable in my book. Complete dealbreaker.

But I reserve the right to express my vehement opposition of such implementation in a General Discussion forum. If it was in the PvP forum, you'd not seen hide nor hair of me.
  14. Harlequin Devoted Player

That already exists. In the PvP phase. Seriously, calm down.

For an idea of a piece of PvP content that includes PvE elements, look no further than old-school Alterac Valley in WoW. In order to win the battle, you need to kill the opposing faction's commander in their bunker. Nowadays, it's just a massive zerg to the boss. In the past, you had to accomplish the side objectives to have a chance. There were mines to gather materials to fortify your faction's forces. There are towers to capture to slow down your enemy's advance. There is even a way to summon a boss-level monster to fight for your faction but I really have no idea how that was accomplished. Old-school AV matches could last 8+ hours with players leaving and joining all through the match. It was glorious.

Imagine an instanced city where each faction held a base of operations containing an iconic NPC commander. Between these bases lay a couple dozen city blocks of territory containing various objectives that buffed your side when won. There could be communications stations where you could summon additional iconics to fight for you when you captured them. Capture a couple of adjacent buildings to set up a choke point to thwart your enemy's advance toward your base. The possibilities are endless. Plus, it could be quite fun and draw some ordinarily PvE focused players (like me) into the fray.

It's a good idea to expand the types of PvP gameplay.
    • Like x 1
  15. theswoosh Well-Known Player

the levels of stupidity are beyond me here
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That's not really expanding open world PvP if all you're doing is asking for a new map. o_O

The biggest obstacle to expanding open world PvP is getting people interested in actually participating in PvP to begin with.
    • Like x 1
  17. kalfis049 New Player

It's never coming back.

Ever.
    • Like x 1
  18. Derio 15000 Post Club

Only way for me is if they added in new feats.
  19. Minnion Devoted Player

What if these ideas for open world PvP type things could be confined to PvP phase without bleeding into the PvE version of open world?
  20. MuTeDx Committed Player

Have to fix PvE gear vs PvP gear in open world, account for AM's in open world, also HT in open world. Basically open world PvP is in a state of shock atm, its so out of whack I wouldn't know where to begin, but until its leveled out and 1shots are no longer viable I don't see them adding anything to a broken system. The last PvP expansion was back when PvP felt good and people were happy.

However I'm not against more content. I have always thought that a combat initiated mission to attack the opposing WT/HOD would be fun. Instead of the door guards bouncing you, they fight you, but they are HARD. After beating the bouncers a "Head doorman" would show up and you must defeat him while fending off villains/heroes (no turning back now). Once the head doorman is down we head into the PD/Nightclub and we battle the trash mob ads and iconics in the place (not neglecting the other faction still on you). Once the place is clear of iconics (vendors/ mission givers) an Iconic appears (could be depending on which PD/NC you enter who knows) and you must do battle (Elite level boss type). This would lead us to the holly grail, after a huge amount of fighting, you break into the WT/PD. You enter with PvP flags on and EVERY person on the opposing faction knows you are there. Your goal is to kill as many heroes/villains as you can (20 we will say) and that will trigger the entrance of the mentors to enter. Now you must battle all 3 of the iconics and any of the vendors you happen to pass by and aggro (oh yea everyone is in on the battle). Good luck but if you survive then you get a feat, some marks (pvp marks only) and the people in the opposing faction know you've been there.

I get that doing that (surviving as the attacking team) would be near impossible, but it would add some real fun for those like myself who would try. No one ever said you could only take 1 team, grab 3 full raid groups and even the numbers a bit. It would be a faction vs faction battle of awesomeness.