Esc key switches the screen to desktop

Discussion in 'Game Support' started by RadiantFist, Dec 7, 2013.

1. RadiantFist New Player

I am having problems with the Esc button in the game. My pet cat jumped on it, trying to get my attention. Twice before it was just a matter of the screen switching to windowed mode. This time around, it affected the Esc botton.
    The Esc button now works like the Windows button, switching the game to desktop.

Normally, I could exit or go back from UI selections (such as the powers and skill UI) or have the Options menu to appear when nothing else is on screen.

I thought it was a keybind problem, but from what I see by getting into the options screen through the Inventory button, there does not seem to have an option to unkeybind the Esc from what is normally a Windows key function.
  2. RadiantFist New Player

Just to check, I tried the Windows key to switch to desktop, and It does not work. So that function has been given to the Esc button.
  3. TSR-AlexS Customer Service

Follow the instructions below to revert it to default settings to see if it makes a difference.

You may want to make backups and then delete the following file:
    <computer name>.dcoprofile
    (NOTE: This could be located in "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\DC Universe Online\DCGame\SaveData" on some systems)

As well as the character files:
    <station account>_CharacterCache (same file location as above)

Next, delete the CONFIG folders under both the DCGAME folder and the ENGINE folders by following these instructions:

1. Open the DC Universe Online LaunchPad. (Do not login at this time.)
    2. Click Advance Tools, Open Game Directory, then close the LaunchPad.
    3. Double-click UNREAL3.
    4. Double-click DCGAME and right-click on CONFIG select Delete.
    5. Double-click SaveData and delete the .dcoprofile file. (NOTE: see backup file location from above if not located in UNREAL3 folder)
    -Backtrack to Step 3.
    6. Double-click ENGINE and right-click CONFIG and select Delete.
    7. Close all open folders and restart DC Universe Online using the LaunchPad to login and play.

If deleting these files does not resolve your issue, you can restore your backed up files and folders and retain your hotkeys, contact lists, and display settings.
  4. Rage Quit 007 New Player

5. OnceUponATime Dedicated Player

Actually it sounds like you've become "alt locked" where your computer behaves like the alt key is jammed down. I played another game that managed to trigger the same thing during the course of play and the solution was usually to press and hold both alt keys (Alt and Alt Gr) and then release and that seemed to fix the problem... back then at least. Worth a try I guess. :)
  6. Rage Quit 007 New Player

@OnceUponATime: Thank you for your input, however it did not work.
  7. Rage Quit 007 New Player

Oddly enough, It appears that holding both windows keys and both alt keys reinstate ESC functionality...though it causes other buttons on the keyboard to minimize and move the game window, as well as the web browser, and removes the ability to type normally...i.e "h" does nothing, and "d" and "b" minimizes. So strange. It wasn't like this last week.
  8. Rage Quit 007 New Player

Full delete and re-install of Steam and DCUO has no change. Still broken.
  9. OnceUponATime Dedicated Player

Have you checked your accessibility settings? (Windows that is not the game), it's possible you might be triggering sticky keys or something like that if you haven't disabled the defaults for turning them on.
  10. Rage Quit 007 New Player

SOLUTION!!!
    Somehow, a previously used web cam controller was still active in the systems tray (I recently got a new webcam). Clearly the application was somehow cancelling the functionality of esc.

Interestingly enough, while it was not relevant to me, various other people in various forums suggested making sure Photoshop was not active, as well as replugging in their usb mouse and keyboard.

Thank you @OnceUponATime for your continued assistance and suggestions. Very much appreciated.
    • Like x 1
  11. OnceUponATime Dedicated Player

Oh you're welcome. I'm sorry I wasn't more help, I'm just happy that you finally found a solution. I know how frustrating it can be. :)
    Thanks for updating your thread, hopefully it will help someone else in the future!