Dev Discussion Episode 46: Town Square Theater Solo

Discussion in 'Developer Discussions' started by Jesk, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Jesk Developer

Wonder Girl was visiting Zatanna’s rehearsal when Hecate unleashes her forces on the Town Square Theater.

Team up with Wonder Girl and Zatanna as you rid the theater of cursed servants!

This thread is for the Episode 46: Town Square Theater solo content. Comments, thoughts, feedback etc. on your experience are welcome!

Have fun!
    • Like x 1
  2. Eve YouTuber

I ran the elite solo today and Wondergirl was completey immune to lunges.
    Was the entire fight like that. I'm not sure if It's because I was in Gorilla form (Nature powerset) but I really just couldn't lunge her at all.
  3. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In gorilla form you have to tap melee to lunge, hold melee doesnt work anywhere as lunge for gorilla form.
    • Like x 2
  4. Eve YouTuber

Ty, will try again tomorrow :)
  5. BumblingB I got better.

Still not a fan of this instance. There are too many control effects from Wonder Girl. And WG does nothing in Zatanna fight to help keep her off of you to the point, she really doesn't help.

It's visually nice... Not looking forward to running this instance daily. Even on reg or event.
    • Like x 4
  6. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually like it for that reason. Forced me to switch up my loadout a bit because i was massively undergeared on some of my alts and gave me some real variety for once.
    With proper augments, and gear, it may be possible to be finished almost as fast as the Chinese theatre.
  7. Spood Boost Well-Known Player

Agree with this 100%.

The bosses feel like HP sponges, the fights feel too long for a solo, the more I run it, the more I honestly dislike it, I'm not trying to be unconstructive by any means and I know different people like different things, but the moment I no longer need anything from this solo, it'll be the first thing I carve off my daily schedule of what I'm running, visually its nice, but I just don't find it fun.
    • Like x 3
  8. Eve YouTuber

"Absrob the Orb" Normal feat. I completed it first on a alt, but didn't get it as Steam achievement. Only when I replayed the feat on my main, it unlocked for Steam. P:
  9. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Elite Feedback:
    1st encounter is quite fun and punishing if you don't pay attention.

2nd encounter is very hard with your average loadouts as a dps, but very doable if you put some thought into it and adapt.

Overall by far the best piece of content and the only one worthy of getting the "elite" attached to its name in my opinion.
    Sadly, elite players are for the most part team-focused so its the right difficulty for the wrong group of players. I still wouldnt want anything to be changed and just keep it as is so players that aren't used to that level of difficulty have a place to train in peace without the pressure of the group in mind.
    • Like x 2
  10. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

In eleet difficulty, the boss health is ridiculously high. I use my munitions toon at 414cr and even though it was easy to do and all, it took quite awhile to ko the bosses. I go ham and while looking at the boss’s health bar, it very slowly moves to where you have to stare at it to see it move.

The feats are weird to me. In normal, go and block this move one time. Eleet has same stuff but no feat for it. Then you have the boss themselves and it seems to be rng on the attacks they use. It took a few runs before I even saw a certain attack pop up like zatannas big silver balls, her assistive turrets of death, Supergirls lunge strike, jump up and down red dust move, her orbs thingies. I can go in and burn and not see a single feat item.

I would say knock off a few hairs of health and maybe make the special attacks more consistent?
    • Like x 1
  11. Jesk Developer

Thanks for looking out lllStrichcodelll! Always nice to see our players helping each other out :)
  12. Jesk Developer

Sorry to hear BumblingB :( if you're willing and have the time, I have some questions:
    • What kind of things could Wonder Girl do to help in a way you think would be valuable?
    • If you do find yourself running this daily, or somewhat daily, what would be bringing you back? Loot? Feats?
      • If say feats for example, would you then stop once you've gotten them all?
    Can't promise we'll be able to make all the changes you might hope to see, but your thoughts would still be useful the next time around so we can make even better content. Thanks again :)
    -Jesk
    • Like x 2
  13. Jesk Developer

Goodness! I'm so sorry this one isn't hitting home for your either :oops: if you have a little more time to share some thoughts, a couple curiositites:
    • When you say the fights take too long, would less HP have left you feeling different?
      • If not, would different mechanics and/or challenges justify more HP?
    • At what point do you think you'll cut back on making this a part of your dailies? (E.g., no more feats, pure frustration)
    As mentioned to others earlier, I can't make any promises many fixes or changes can go in, but it'll definitely help the next time around! And like, always, thanks so much for your time Spood Boost :)
    -Jesk
  14. Jesk Developer

Thanks for pointing this out Zoe·! We've found this cause of this bug and are working on a fix! Not sure when a patch will go out, but hopefully you'll be able be able to grab this one soon!! :)
    • Like x 1
  15. Jesk Developer

Thanks for passing on some more notes lllStrichcodelll! It's always a treat to hear one of our new pieces of content is worth folk's time an energy! Hopefully we can maintain the momentum :)
  16. BumblingB I got better.

I am only running this until I get enough renown to get the elite gear, which can come quickly since the alert and raid are more enjoyable for me to run. As it is, feats are still in the when got them, would be done. Same can go for rewards. A solo isn't worth my mental health to be frustrated with.

I just feel the whole instance is frustrating. Both bosses CC you and then immediately CC you again when you break out. Then, those attacks also do chunks of damage to you.

Like as an example, WG's pulse beam is a stun to you before you even get the damage tick. So having to breakout lunge, then kite the room, because your shield or soder is on cooldown, makes for it to just be annoying. These kinds of mechanics are also what was happening with the Brimstone fight in the Deathmetal duo. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if we actually still got the CC immunity on breakout, but that hasn't been a thing for a long time.

The Zatanna fight is not as severe, though she stuns you that can suppress your attacks, which I'm not sure how, you do the animation, but suddenly you are on your knees and the thing you activated is not on cooldown. It also doesn't help that the stage is pretty bright and everything that hurts you is white. So some things are hard to see, like the adds that do a ton of damage.

The health pools on the bosses are also really high. If you compare it to reg, it feels like double. If I don't wipe, Elite takes 10 minutes and regular takes 5 minutes.

Edit: I'm sorry if I am coming off rude or mean, I don't mean to be. Please don't take anything I say personal for you or your content. The instance is visually pretty and the encounters are good if not for the constant CC juggle they do.
    • Like x 2
  17. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

This is one of the toughest solo elite instance I played in a long time. Zantana is almost a one shot kill. I sometimes cannot even see her attack and zap I am down to almost no health. This is a very challenging elite solo. I love challenges but the part on Zantanna just zaps me and I cannot see it coming. But thanks for a outstanding solo that is really fun and likable
    • Like x 3
  18. Jesk Developer

Thanks for the notes Essential Exobyte! If you have an extra moment, I got a few things I wanna ask!
    • To make sure I understand, you're feel the difficulty is in the right spot, but the fight seems like due to the amount of HP?
      • Is this in reference to both bosses, or one in partifular?
    • With regard to feats, are you saying you wish the feats attainable in normal were also attainable in eleet, rather than being exclusive to normal?
    Again, thanks for your comments! It's great stuff to read, and things I'll be thinking on as we continue to work on content :)
  19. Jesk Developer

Worry not! I've gotten no impressions of either rudeness or meanness! Sturdy feedback is immensely useful, and the level of detail you've been providing makes it all the better! We're here to make content for the players, so I'm out here to precisely catch on to what works and what doesn't :)

I can empathize with your point of time spent getting frustreated -- we only have so much time in our days for play and we wanna make it count :D and thanks for the extra detail on boss specifics and examples of the moments that stuck out to you. It's good to have that so we can be more targeted when looking at things on our end!

Thanks again, and keep the comments coming as you have them!
    • Like x 1
  20. Jesk Developer

I appreciate the notes >>>KIra<<<! I'm continuing to think on balancing, so great to get a better sense on where our players are leaning. And glad to hear you're liking the new content this episode. Thanks for playing!!