Dev Discussion Episode 35: Metal Gotham City (Open World)

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Quixotic, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Quixotic Developer

Metal has come to Gotham City. Batman Who Laughs released a virus that turns its victims into violent, mindless metal creatures. He also burst Arkham Asylum open to add escaped inmates into the mix. If that's not enough, Poison Ivy and Mister Freeze are somehow involved. Maybe others as well.

This threat goes beyond Gotham City, but the key to defeating Metal starts there. It's up to us to take back the city...and save our universe.

Metal Gotham City awaits! Please post your thoughts, feedback, and any issues you come across. This is also the place for feedback on the Metal Part 1 mission.

- Quixotic
  2. Coldzoom Well-Known Player

Hi Devs

Please consider slowing down the timer in Disarm Riddler Traps the timer is too fast for me. Sometimes I am able to touch the cog(see it turn blue) but it still explodes on me. I might have too group with someone to get it done. If it had the same timer as the rifts that would be ideal for me.

Thanks.
    • Like x 8
  3. OVERCAP Level 30

Can't seem to find the mission "The Shipment News" in the open world. Its part of a feat called Metal Meddling.
  4. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I really like that there’s only one group boss and it’s at the same place every time, it makes organising groups so much easier.
    • Like x 4
  5. L T Devoted Player

So after doing the central city solo I finally get to dark metal Gotham only to find out that I have to do a whole other solo. Only this one has no reward at all.

Is there even a point to rescuing Gordon? He doesn't seem to play any other role in the episode.
    • Like x 4
  6. Heliotropix Well-Known Player

i agree completely....
    i'm also wondering if the missions are all operating as intended? the mission to protect officers can be a little bit of a pain in the butt, especially for lower lvl toons without all their abilities or a lot of sp...while the arm officers mission is insanely easy...just hand them weapons and walk away....were we intended to walk away? or were we supposed to have to hang around and defend them for a moment?....the difference in difficulty between these two missions is pretty large....was that intended or is that just the way it ended up?

it would be nice if "monsters" counted toward the weekly kill mission as well, and not just citizens and officers...
    • Like x 3
  7. Heliotropix Well-Known Player

i was doing the solo today, on a villain, and found a shootout where the villains were agro, and the cops ignored me....which confused the hell out of me...i had to look and make sure i was on a villain...the rest of the mobs were fine, only that one shoot out...
    • Like x 1
  8. Heliotropix Well-Known Player

does it have to look like we're checking Flash for a hernia? "turn you head and cough please."......
    • Like x 1
  9. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I ran into this on two separate Alts yesterday... I had the mission to locate and protect Gotham Police Officers and arrived in the shaded area of the map that indicates a player is in the area where can be found. I spotted white dots on my mini map (normally in indication that an objective is at that spot) and went to find the Officer in trouble. Instead I found a rift.

Now to clarify I had bee assigned and completed the weekly " Close the rifts " mission on Thursday r after the reset but on Monday evening there I was staring at a rift and I was close enough that the "E" that appears when you are in range to click was showing. I clicked and .. Yep .. I closed the rift. This bug persisted while I was in that area and made it much more interesting finding the Gotham Police Officers since half the time I found more rifts.

Later on I had switched to another Alt and while the white dots were gone I was curious and when I spotted a rift went and clicked it and I was able to shut the rift down.. again that ALT had also already completed the weekly mission and had no mission to anything with a rift.

I did report the problem and have yet to log on today so not sure if the issue still exists or not. Now before the usual question(s) occur... I got on shout and asked if anyone else was seeing the glitch and another player asked "Are you sure you completed the weekly mission?" Well first of all YES I was sure since I had turned it in to Hal Jordan and gotten my rewards for completion days before this happened and second just to be completely thorough and be sure somehow "magically" I had not been granted the weekly mission again even without chatting with Hal I checked my On Duty list and NOPE there was no mission available to my character telling me to go close rifts.
  10. NibellaRin Active Player

I like the portals to get around the city more quickly. Excellent addition.

Any chance of adding dialogue that would give the sense that we villains are villainous still? I mean, helping cops recover by defending them and arresting inmates seems very...heroic. One suggestion I heard was that calculator could say something like "we don't want the metal virus getting back to Arkham" for the escaped inmates and "I know it seems like we're helping them but really we're getting intel" for helping cops. Just a few touches so it makes sense that we are aiding cops and capturing criminals.
    • Like x 3
  11. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Quick update to my earlier post on the rifts... I checked again today so far with three different ALT I can access and close rifts and have already completed the weekly mission on all three. No longer being confused by them also showing up on the map as a white dot but I have checked all the update notes going clear back to Sept 12th when Metal Part 1 went live and no indications that this was a change the Devs decided to make.
  12. Berza Committed Player

It has been usual that this kind of thing can be interacted even if you don't have the active mission. Atlantis artifacts were an example, where you could interact at least with the ones adds dropped.
    • Like x 2
  13. MiLady Well-Known Player

The timer on the joker boxes are a bit fast and could be slowed down a bit. Also, the metal police officer's timer is faster than the other metal timers (i.e. Immates, or the adds guarding the orbs).

The 3 teleporters are a nice addition. Thank you.
    • Like x 2
  14. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Yeah but there is a feat for opening so many of those and my guess would be in THAT case either the devs themselves decided to continue to make it possible to click them to complete the feat or during testing the players asked for it so getting the feat would not take as long. There is no feat for closing X number of rifts and my concern is... OUR PLAYER BASE. These are the same people that go to Atlantis and purposely pull the Giant Brine Hulk into the area where others are working on the daily mission to recapture 6 hatchlings for the Rancher along with many others for no other reason than IN THEIR MIND its fun to screw things up for other players.

Now just think how much fun they can have week in and week out roaming around closing rifts and making it take even longer for other players to complete the mission?
  15. Berza Committed Player

I understand and share your concerns about our community being full of (non-role) trolls, but I wasn't referring to open chests, what gives those feats, I was talking about interacting with cogless individual artifacts.
  16. AV Loyal Player

My beef with the Joker boxes isn't that the cog is fast but that it takes forever to appear, so it's a weird timing and there's a bit of a delay with it such that if you don't get it right, it'll blow. Minor complaint though and more of a QOL thing.

Please don't take this as a detraction of the quality of existing VAs, as they're doing a good job, but it would be nice to have additional VA talent added to the mix for more diversity. We've got a bit of a Skyrim problem right now, where we hear the same or similar voices too frequently in different NPCs.

I've been trying to narrow down what feels off about Metal Gotham City content and I think I've narrowed it down to a lack of flavour. It feels very naked, with the only environmental interaction we have being the daily/weekly quests. Compare this to the last several episodes: in JLD we got the Tragedy scavenger hunt feat + an amazing new skyline; in Atlantis we got a race on top of the already brand new zone; in Titans we got a brand new zone again and the H.I.V.E. Infiltrator hunt; in Deluge CC we got the Starros in the sky + squishing the baby Starros; in Doomed Metropolis we got the downed heroes all over the place + the crystal shattering feat; Gangwar Gotham had Manbat commando scavenger hunt + way more variety.

Bottom line: since Metal Gotham City is very copy/paste from the existing environments, it needs more for us to interact with to compensate. Riddled With Crime open world should be referenced, since it, too, heavily reused assets but without feeling stale. At minimum, I feel we need several more chill, low key open world feats to balance things out. It's very bare bones right now.
    • Like x 2
  17. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Minor nitpicks: the inmates who have boxes of metal can’t be handcuffed if you don’t have the Busted Again! mission or have just reached the quota. Metal people guarding the SWAT vans with bazookas cannot be un-metalled if you don’t have the Un-metalled mission or have just reached the quota. In both cases it feels wrong just leaving them there. Also the window of opportunity for un-metalling police is way shorter than it is for civilians and inmates, for some bizarre reason. I’d like to see that equalised.

I also rather enjoyed the annex mini instance and am a little sad it’s a one-off. I thought maybe you could could make it a potential daily from the Police Sergeant quest giver; she tells to go to that officer hightower or whatever it was and then they send you to the annex. Maybe then also give the reward for the daily to people doing it for the first time on the episode quest line. Other people might hate the idea though, if so, then don’t do it on my account.

One more thing, again possibly a controversial suggestion that I don’t necessarily want to inflict on people if they’d hate it. The meteorites and the random AoEs. It’d be kinda fun if they occasionally deliberately targeted players to keep us on our toes during the dailies and add a little unique flavour to an otherwise somewhat bland zone.
  18. Krossmark Level 30

So I run the weeklies for Metal Gotham City usually on one toon, maybe an alt or two in the last couple of weeks, but I have to say: good job on placing the bounty underneath the tunnel on this map, because that moment after we down the Metal Titan, and everyone activates their travel power and BLASTS out of the tunnel entrance looks and feels like a badass super team. Totally organic, and a cool sight to see every time.
  19. NibellaRin Active Player

I'm loving the addition of the Metal Man-Bat. This feels like a challenge to spam and it makes me feel more engaged. However, one note on this guy. I'm prone to migraines and the flashing waves as well as lit-up white clouds that come off of Metal Man-Bat are headache inducing. I saw the wonderful job you all did with adjusting the Zeus Orbital, is there any chance you can do something about the color and flashiness of the attack? It would also help if the adds and the boss were not so reflectively white. Can that be toned down?

Sorry if this the wrong thread, didn't see one specific to Metal Man-Bat weekly bounty.
    • Like x 2
  20. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

And perhaps avoid using too many flashes in the future, it's a ... glaringly, obvious problem.