Effects of SP and Modding on DPS: The Data

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Remander, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

Just so we are clear, I did read your entire post of course, I usually do read entire posts IF it has good grammar xD

I usually use Beta mods to unlock affinity bonuses and mod green gear with synthetics. I also unlock as many crits as possible but for my healers, I unlock the WM Affinity Bonuses at the very bottom, Trolls only get 8 Vit per point down there so I usually aim for crits and Power. Idk why I'm saying this, I'm just bored at work right now so a little story isn't too bad ya know.? I agree with you however :D I'm glad someone finally cleared the air and showed players a correct way to mod, get skill points, and a differential from mods, sp & gear.
  2. Remander Steadfast Player

:D

It's easy enough to unlock affinities, so that just seems like a no-brainer, even if the benefit is small. Interesting about the support roles. I actually looked at SP allocation for different roles in my SP allocation thread, and it's not always beneficial to go for the top tier innates early. Healers, for instance, get significantly more resto with an investment in the tier 2 innates first. Once you get all of those, you can go for the tier 3. Of course, for my battle healer spec, I go for tier 3, because I'm mining for DPS stats, as well. DPS are better off going for those early. You can read more about it in the thread. It's the last tip listed in the OP.
  3. Fies Committed Player

What powerset did u use btw? IMO looking at might vs precision gains by SP prec powers should profit more from high SP than might powers since last row skilltree gains are bigger % whise for prec. Or am I missing sth?
  4. Remander Steadfast Player

Celestial. If you look at my SP allocation thread, it's not much of a difference, but you actually can get 43 more might than precision from the SP trees.
  5. Fies Committed Player

What I tried to get across :) was that if u look at a current gear full (either for Prec or might) mod character 1) 120 SP allocated 2) 200+ Sp allocated then:
    Might based gets: 1) around 11k might 2) around 12k might -> difference about 8-9%
    Prec based gets : 1) around 5k prec 2) around 6k prec -> " " 16-20%
    Since might has a much higher base number the gains from SP should be smaller (%-wise) than with prec powers with lower base numbers. Resulting in high SP being more important for prec powers or?
  6. Remander Steadfast Player

Keep in mind that weapon DPS is effective precision. Include that in your calculations, and run them again. ;)
    • Like x 2
  7. Absolix Loyal Player

As Remander pointed out, the Dps of your equipped weapon counts as effective Precision. Since 10 Precision = 1 weapon Dps you just need to multiply your weapon Dps by 10 to get the effective Precision. This puts Precision and Might fairly at similar numbers, never exactly the same, but fairly similar.
    • Like x 1
  8. Fies Committed Player

Didnt know :)
  9. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

10. ErnieB Loyal Player

Nice work, just like the one on CR scaling and flattening. Any chance you could do this same thing for support roles, at least healing since you use Celestial, also what effect does this all have with mid range when the time comes. I know it's a lot but this kind of detailed data is what the devs really need and often ignore when changing powers.
  11. Kzinti Committed Player

You can buy Mods from the vendor then use recovery kits to get the bytes. Then buy the Beta plans form vendor to make the beta mods.
    No need to farm for bits
  12. Joybird Committed Player

Unfortunately, you haven't tested for one of the most common alternatives to full modding, which is using synthetic t6 mods instead.
  13. TRELL1 Well-Known Player

If I had to venture a guess, using synths would fall just below VII mods.
  14. Derio 15000 Post Club

Well for support roles it would be different since people modd differently for different support role powers.
  15. ErnieB Loyal Player

Which is why I suggested Celestial, and he being a battle healer could bring both sides to the table, pure healer and hybrid. And even though people mod differently, in the end each role has a main stat which is what mods help with, even if you are a healer and mod for full vitality, SP included, gear will balance the stats in the end and always keep resto higher.
  16. Derio 15000 Post Club

Like I said earlier even with healer that scope is about twice the work for what he is doing for the dps scaling.

An example is a celestial healer who has all their dps and healing crits compared to one with just healing crits. That already by the data he provided is clear in his charts for the dps side.

Then you have people who spec fully pure healer( full resto) and so they dont have the precision nor power pool to spam the AM. Since you dont have a power regen in healer role you burn out quick thus losing damage in the parser compared to a different spec.

This was discovered when celestial got AM in healer role.

So not saying he couldnt pull it off. Just saying that is a huge and i mean "HUGE" project to do not only for the different aspects of pure healer side. But for the various aspects for the hybrid side.

That is alot.... alot of parsers to do.
  17. ErnieB Loyal Player

I'm not saying it's not a lot of work, I get it, but as I said it's something that should be done, he doesn't need to do it alone, but it has to be done. Tests like this is what devs need to do to really balance powers, we all know in 6 months most powers will get another update, then another and another, only because situations change and most don't even understand why, but this could give some players and idea as to where to head their builds in any role. I know it's a lot of work, probably more than mid range update, but hey after 2 years we're finally getting a real PVP update, which as mentioned by Mepps is more a community colaboration than anything, well maybe this could be the gate to true balance, or as close as it may come.
    • Like x 1
  18. Jupiter Ross Well-Known Player

Great work...i think an expansion to this would be power scaling. Meaning that dmg % increases vary with different power types. I currently 8 toons at the end game level and i have used every power in the game at T7 and certain power get more of a dmg increase as CR goes up. All of my toons have 220+ sp with my main toon (Gadgets) currently at 229 and ive noticed how the increase in cr does more for other powers than others. A good example of this would be Mun & Rage (at least out of the current pwrs that i use). My munitions toon can easily top top/and or compete with higher cr toons. Now i know that biggun is a huge part of that but the dmg output seems to go alot further than that b/c even on repeated boss fights the difference in dmg still goes up. Ive also noticed with my rage toon that when buff colas are applied(i.e. Compound Omega and/or Flex soda Vll) i am easily able the percentage of increased dmg gained from those stat increases in greater than with ither powers. I even suprised myself with how those added buffs were able to catapult me to the top of the dmg board over the 1234 powrs and pet classes. When i switch to my range l/o for final bosses the gap is closed a bit(obviously since rage has no midrange really) but not enough for someone to overtake me. As for the effect of dmg % gained over 77 sp, i often converse w/ my lm that an additional crit %/mag buff should be added to the third tier innates in order to properly reward those who put the time and effort to gain sp. The flat stat boost do very little for you, and i believe once you reach over 180 sp it becomes neglible. This my first forum post by often read everyday and am a big fan of the work you do for this game. I just wanted to get a lil feedback and your thoughts on sum of what i shared. Thx and happy hunting
  19. Remander Steadfast Player

Nice ideas, but not sure I have the time. My time in game has even taken a hit. I've barely played in the last two weeks. Not sure I can dedicate the time. If anyone else wants to take up the challenge, feel free.
  20. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I agree with the first two.

Affinities give us 5% increase in critical chance and for healer and trolls crit they also get a 10% increase in crit magnitude. That 5% increase can lead to those nice critical hits we all like to see.

Using three sparring targets my Atomic toon normal (non-critical) damage is around 35-40K. When I do land a critical hit my damage jumps up to 85-90K per a target. That right there tells me players should always be focusing on raise their critical chance rate, if it is higher you will produce much more damage.

Full VII mods at CR 126 gave us around 8% increase in might stats. I believe that a 5% increase in critical chance will produce higher damage over stats.

My question is did you conduct the following test?

126 Toon with 77 SP, HT mods, and just affinity mods for crit chance vs...
    126 Toon with 77 SP, HT mods, modding all but affinities crit chance and using SP to make up the might/precision value lost from multi colored mods

That test would show if 800+ might is worth more than a 5% increase in critical damage.