Do's/Don't(s) when Fire Tanking End Game

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Flightboy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Flightboy New Player

I have seen a lot of forum talk about this and have seen some terribad things in game. Firstly, this is a very condensed list please check the fire guides. (They are very on point :) ) Secondly, I'm writing this from what I've heard or seen please feel free to add to it keep it constructive. The point of this is open eyes to newer fire users running dox and nex / maybe give some insight to those who haven't tested/experienced it or have not visited the fire guides. Some may disagree with me and that's fine these are my do's and don't(s) mind you I've never been kicked or had unsuccessful runs due to my tanking.(wipes are completely different everyone wipes :p )

Do's:
    -Run both immunities for many obvious reasons ( burning determination / burnout )
    -Ensure you have an instant health buff ( think Flashpoint )
    -Spec Health and Dominance before any other skill.
    -Run Personal Damping Shields for block clips and brief damage mitigation.
    -The new tank trinket is your friend!
    -Your absorption adapter in your weapon is your friend learn the bosses attacks and melee when you can! (Yes you can get your shield to proc as fire)
    -Buff your health prior to a boss fight ( less strain initially on your healers I use flashpoint.)

Don't(s):
    -Use inferno as a range taunt over lasso/movement pull ( makes me crazy when I see this)
    -Use phase dodge and hard light shield in the same loadout
    -Rely on self heals (unless you're resto spec'ed never tested it doesn't look like a good idea though)

Please fire ( lol ) away especially vet fire users.
    • Like x 3
  2. Trexlight Devoted Player

3. feegore New Player

-In Nexus, I'll pop my SoT trinket, pop a power and then use orbital strike to pull full aggro in room 2 and 3. It gives you enough time to go into a block before you get smacked and you'll have your health buff active.
    - Get the HT neck mod for fortified blocking (kind of obvious, but hey you never know)
    -As soon as you finish the spec into all the Tier One health and dom innates, spec into defense
    -You're the quarterback of the group whether they want to admit it or not. Call out all of Lex's tells, let them know where the AOE's are, etc. So be vocal and communicate.
    - Positioning matters! Bosses should be facing you and away from them.
  4. Luckyme92781 Well-Known Player

Do understand PVP mechanics. I don't know how many fire tanks get 1 shot bc they get knocked on their butt and can't pop a power.
    • Like x 1
  5. MrMigraine Devoted Player

For Controllers running with a Fire Tank: Pack lots of sunscreen. :)

Also: Trust Flightboy!
    • Like x 2
  6. 13igtyme Devoted Player

Getting enough time to have a buff and block isn't as important in the 2nd and 3rd room as it is in the first and last room. Mostly the last. There's only one boss attacking so it's really easy to get a window.
    • Like x 1
  7. Jamie New Player

Don't forget to use the heal mod for the chest. It will help your healers help keep you alive.
    I also think hard light shield is a waste. The dev's really need to look into having this scale with Dom (at a minimum).
    Boo Junior is awesome. He can cast a few shields during a single call out.
  8. 13igtyme Devoted Player

It does scale it dom and resto.
  9. Magnificent Loyal Player

Not a bad list but we disagree on a couple of things.

A fire tank survives through high hp but also due to a crazy bonus on healing in. Getting the % healing increases asap adds those increases regardless of what your gear stats are while the Health and Dom increases become less crucial as your gear improves (especially the T5+ stuff).

Another power I feel a fire tank should never be without is Backdraft. In lower-end content your Dom should be well high enough to drag all but the boss mobs around to wherever you want. In the T5 raids you can still drag the trash to you (which is where all mobs should be... on you). On top of this is can give some great healing if your Resto is up and you have your %increases.

And finally, for the T5+ raids all fire tanks should learn to BLOCK. A lot.
    • Like x 1
  10. Magnificent Loyal Player

That's why I run with BD, Burnout & a breakout trinket. It's hard to block damage when you are flat on your back.
    • Like x 2
  11. MCAZR New Player

It's surprising how many don't understand what 'A LOT' means. This also seems to be an issue with some earth tanks.
    • Like x 1
  12. Dump Truck New Player

These are all very good general suggestions. Some are not mandatory, but if players learned how the power set works and what each power does it would be a far friendlier place for fire tanks.
    • Like x 1
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Do block. Don't not block.

This benefits all tanks! WOOT!
    • Like x 2
  14. Flightboy New Player

Sorry I should of been more specific with an instant health buff. I mean more like it recharges instantly. I like flashpoint because it instantly recharges and juggles while buffing your health. My bad guys/gals.
  15. Flightboy New Player

No doubt about what you said again I kept it brief so all of the vets like yourself could also throw your input in :) thanks bro!
    • Like x 1
  16. Jamie New Player

It needs to scale more then since it generally takes longer to bring up the shield thann it takes for a boss to bring it down in all of the T5 stuff.
  17. FaLeX Dedicated Player

Fixed! ;)

[IMG]

I like helping my healers run up the score...
    • Like x 2
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Obvious who is the overgeared one here. ;)
    • Like x 1
  19. DivineSire Dedicated Player

Do - Win
    Don't - Lose