Do you notice that you kill the tanks of DCUO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tolly, May 10, 2022.

1. Brit Loyal Player

I think I would politely add that the entire aggro system for Tanks is largely ineffective and broken.

Any other game: I have one or more taunt abilities. When you use one of these, you will force the enemy to attack you.

DCUO: Every ability you have is an alleged "Taunt", but none of them force the enemy to attack you. Even your super-taunt, the ability that is supposed to be able to taunt the enemy off of another Tank that has taunted it, does not actually force the enemy to target you. Bosses have scripted combats where they can go wherever they want, do whatever they want, and target whoever they want, and the Tank largely gets ignored.

Seriously, even walk a Tank into the Swamp Thing Seasonal for 2 minutes and spam your super-taunt over and over again. You will not be his target.

You don't feel like a Tank if you aren't actually able to, you know, TANK.

Tanks largely just feel like mediocre DPS with shields or self-heals.
    • Like x 3
  2. VariableFire Loyal Player

And it would be one thing if it was restricted to raids, but the aggro system behaves the same during 4mans too, I'll tank Ultraman during RtE3(reg) but Devastator? No point at all.
    • Like x 1
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Well if every boss was tank and spank that wouldn't be very exciting would it? You need to know when and where to tank, and the rest of the group needs to know when and where to not stand when the boys breaks away from you.
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There's no point in tanking alerts period.
  5. VariableFire Loyal Player

Honestly, I mostly tank alerts to give the other DPS less of a damage penalty.
  6. Tolly Committed Player

not for all tank powers, but the one that suffers the most in aggro is most certainly ice, which in my opinion, is the most failed of all tanks, are ray rank not really practical and not very effective, for example in the penultimate alert to the boss with tentacle and adds, but especially the adds, it was an extremely painful experience in tank ice, while the other tanks all went well...
  7. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I’m the meantime, everyone is switching to ice for elite+ and SM. Ice isn’t great with adds but it is still ST king. Rage can shield build which makes it the next best choice it seems. I’ve ice tanked the elite raid plenty of times now, it’s been easy enough for us to do 2 bosses face tanked at a time now that we’ve geared up. Adds will just always be a problem for ice since they tear your shields up so we usually have the ice players switch with one of the other tank powers for that portion to make it easy but yeah ice can do it if the player is good enough.
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

That damage penalty doesn't actually slow the DPS as much as you think it does. Unless you are battle tanking or the DPS are just plain awful, you aren't doing anyone a favor. Four competent DPS can run through an alert faster than whatever combination you come up with. I suspect it might be faster if three of the DPS were in support stance but still equipped in DPS gear.
  9. VariableFire Loyal Player

Yeah....bit optimistic there that you think that many good DPS simultaneously end up in a pug run of anything. Moreover, I feel the forums grossly overestimate how effective the roleless buff really is. Some 4mans, mostly endgame, it wouldn't be a problem, especially if the group is above the suggested CR with decent artifacts and SP. Bare minimums of everything, and I have ended up in runs where 2/4 were at that, no.
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I didn't say anything about finding good DPS in pug runs. I didn't say anything about anything about pug runs. How on Earth did you come to that conclusion?
  11. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

I was pleasantly surprised that my pug group was able to 4 Dps R2E3 reg. Didn't think it'd be possible while DM is currently endgame. That said Superwoman, Ultraman and Devastator take forever to burn without debuffs, the Apex adds stuns in the hallways are just annoying especially if we're relying on our loadout rotation and not shields to get thru, we pretty much have to kite all the time so we don't get killed and if the boss decides you're the one doing agro you have to run away like a lil scaredy cat because you have no support to save you. I think it was my longest runs of that Alert although we had no total wipes and I don't think anyone got KOed and we were efficient with over 300 SP and 200 arts etc with decent burn it just wasn't exactly fun or anything to do either. I've 4 dps'ed TOWW reg too but try that in any older Omnibus Alerts your chances are less. Maybe newer alerts are getting easier idk?
    • Like x 1
  12. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually there is. Unless its an instance that requires a lot of heals due to mechanics, running with a tank and 3 dps's speeds up the whole run.
    • Like x 1
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Or like I said earlier, run with four competent DPS and get done quicker. Tanks and healers in an alert are a luxury, not a necessity unless there's some crazy mechanic that requires constant healing.
    • Like x 2
  14. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

its this hateful rhetoric that made me switch from controller. now were saying there's no point in tanking!? This community so down bad when it comes to supports because when you que in as a troll you get a tell that "says just dps we don't need power"
    • Like x 3
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It's not hateful rhetoric it's a mechanic installed in the game.
    In most four player content, support roles are not 100% mandatory. They're optional. That's just a fact. Roleless buffs have been in alerts for years. Why would I try to tank a scripted boss that's going to stomp on everyone regardless when I can switch to DPS and give them their defense buff to increase the groups chances of survival? It's strategy.
  16. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Why switch from controller? When you can do this: equip dps gear, spec dps, use troll arts, go pew pew, and try to out dps the dps. It’s fun! You don’t lose damage for not having a troll. You still provide some power (claw). You provide lots of damage so boss/ads melt like butter. And let the tank get aggro and pile them up so you can blast them to bits.

I’ve done the reg alert so fast, it was poppin feats because we were burning past mechanics that required us to do something, the spore clouds weren’t even out for more than 15 seconds. And that was with a tank, a dps troll, and 2 dps.
  17. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Why bother tanking when some ppl have been traumatized by midrange back in the day. Next thing ya know, all the dps are between you and the boss and you are already holding hands with the boss……… and then the stats revamp ****** up tanking and so I quit doing that.
    • Like x 1
  18. Forum Junkie Well-Known Player

Artifacts, artifacts, artifacts.... To the point that tank artifacts are boring- I don't use a single tank artifact for fire nor for rage. In fact with fire, I enjoy using lernaea's amulet along with solar amp and just channel straight through everything, with transformation card, of course, because why not? Absorb Heat has a lovely mechanic and as long as there is fire, those heals are magnifico! The fire shield however is completely useless unless you are in DPS role... I miss immolation of the good old days.

With rage I EoG spam with strat and trans, no use for the rage crash mechanic, it's cute, but like someone said earlier, run some shields. Spam backflip kick and relentless anger and now we are having fun. (It also helps to have a healer with PHR and PoD!)

Ya, there is no way you are going to pug this elite content. As far as scripted mechanics go, that is nice but I would prefer my pull and my hard taunt actually had purpose when it comes to bosses. As someone said earlier, it would be nice if a tank felt tanky, outside of just having the largest health pool and some mediocre shields. Heck quantum has better shield(s) than fire and most likely beats redirected rage, quantum tunneling is practically an infinite shield, but I digress.

Bosses have developed the ability to swat you like a bug as if you never had a shield in the first place, when instead it should have to rip my shield in half before it nearly full life's me, but no, the shield is still intact. The whole one shot mechanic should not even apply to the tanks, like, just write them out of the code for the mechanic, tanks need to pull aggro, period.

I guess my point I am making is I have had to learn to be creative as a tank and not rely on what the game tells me my abilities do, but rather make the abilities do what I tell them to do. Standing in one spot holding block, no way, not with all of those block breaking adds that overcome your dominance as if carving through a cobweb with a custom Hattori Hanzo sword.
  19. Monkeyboy Committed Player

The problem is the community! Tanks are not requested for anything but reg raid & elite content. Reg duo & alert are hell for tanks. Most request you go dps. Why should someone build a tank toon up if the community is a bunch of entitled CoD players wanting to be done with a duo or alert in 5 minutes? One, it hurts the tanking skills of players & leads to this problem. It's not the fear of tanks, it's tanks choosing when to play or not.
    • Like x 1
  20. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

As a tank, I get what you’re saying but anyone can run as dps and roles are very unnecessary in almost all content outside of raids. Something I don’t think most players know is that you can press up on d pad and switch roles and that can have a loadout setup to it just like an armory. So you can still have tank gear and artis and have a melee build ready to switch to and at least contribute damage out. Works for all roles. Being a tank in a duo is pretty useless outside of elites, same with trolls and healers. In alerts, if there’s all dps in a pug group, any role can be useful. Some players don’t get the benefits that a role can do in alerts but if there’s already a tank and a healer, definitely 0 need for another tank. Or even 2 tanks no heal.