Do Controller Debuffs Really Matter?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by xFearMe, Dec 11, 2014.

1. xFearMe Active Player

As a Controller one of your expected jobs is to throw debuffs on the bosses. How much of a difference do debuffs really make? What are your guys thoughts?
    • Like x 1
  2. Dom-Eon Dedicated Player

Hm, that is an interesting question, never really thought about it and I have no idea. How much of a difference do debuffs make, does anyone know?
    • Like x 1
  3. Cable Committed Player

Depends who you ask. I run with a defense debuff on my tray always but the others very rarely make it onto the tray unless I was planning to use that power to CC or do a little extra damage anyways.
  4. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I have never seen a chart on the percentages for the debuffs but it would be awesome to see as if they are a set number then by now in our current content they would be worthless but if they are a percentage at least then they are still viable so would be good to know
  5. Crzyrazr Well-Known Player

I am a quantum controller and I always attempt to keep health debuffs and defense debuffs up as often as possible. Now if they really matter or not depends on who you ask. If you are trolling for a power hungry high burn group don't stress to much on the debuffs worry more about power and crowd control. It is a balancing act.
    I look at the debuffs this way. I may not be doing high damage output and I am not just a battery. Debuffs are a way of contributing without getting up close and personal and putting the group at risk of me going down and not pumping power out.
  6. HiggletyPigglety New Player

As far as I have heard (so take these numbers with a grain of salt):

Defense debuff = -7% target defense
    Healing debuff = -10% healing out
    Damage debuff = -10% damage out

Whatever the numbers, the defense debuff is fairly commonly used. Personally, I try to throw it at the boss every time it runs out. Healing debuff is useful in particular situations. I like to throw a damage debuff before a "skull" attack.

However, for Gadgets trolls like me, our best powers apply the debuffs anyways (GG, CF, PDart, NG).
    • Like x 1
  7. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Defense debuffs are the only ones worth running. Healing and Damage debuffs are totally worthless in 99% of content.
    • Like x 2
  8. Flightboy New Player

Anyone in L&W would probably appreciate a Controller who keeps any one of the "Vs" stunned in place and away from the group / tank. My $0.02 ;)

Personally, I run Gauss Grenade / Sleep Dart for CC purposes andddddddddd debuff purposes. Sleep Dart mainly for the CC. NO I will not CC adds until the tank has them all gathered up. (I too Tank ;) )

Am I being very helpful? Sure, I am assisting the tank "kinda" with damage mitigation and stunning them in place helps the tank to also be able to grab aggro on strays in the room.

As far as the Debuff part of the house. Defense Debuff is almost ALWAYS applied because it definitely assists in the boss or add burn down at a faster rate. I think of it like this: As a secondary controller I will refresh the defense debuff like I would refresh pot. Call me old fashioned LOL.

I don't necessarily debuff every single add... BUT if power is a non issue why not?

Closing, this 100% IMO. That is all :D
    • Like x 5
  9. Delta795 New Player

Except a few instances while at level the only needed one in PVE is the Def. Debuf. It negates 7%
    To whatever it hits for 12 seconds...so that's like having another DPS burning them down.

So yes, they are very helpful
  10. Sore Steadfast Player

Unless they changed it, this is what Tunso told me in August of 2013. (Note a couple things have changed around roles since then)

-Controller Damage Debuff: This is -7%. However keep in mind that everything is additive. So Damage Role character buffed to 150% would go down to 143%. A healer without Core Strength would go from 75% to 72%. Obviously this debuff is way worse for the Healer. NPCs occasionally have slight damage increases or decreases either all the time or during certain phases but they work in the same additive manner.

-Controller Defense Debuff:-493 Defense and -704 Toughness. The actual scalar for Defense/Toughness at level 30 for both NPCs and Players is (Armor * .0142). It's easier to say 71 armor per 1% but that does lose precision eventually. So TL;DR for NPC it's a 7% armor decrease. Pretty much every NPC has 15% armor.

-Controller Healing Debuff: The non-role one is -25% of healing received.
    • Like x 4
  11. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

That healing one always seemed strange to me ... it's both healing in and out too, right? A debuffed healer has trouble healing others not just themselves, no? Debuffing Paradox Energy isn't because the Paradox Energy is being healed. Debuffing Healer Dreggs also seems to slow their heals.
  12. Sore Steadfast Player

I think it's always been healing-in. I think the healing-out was assumed just because in the old RPS days of PvP, any power a controller cast on a healer would also place a role-based healing-out debuff on the healer. That second part is gone now. I'm not sure if they adjusted the non-role debuff at that time. I assumed not.
    • Like x 2
  13. SuperNerdGeekOverkill Dedicated Player

This makes no sense. If the debuff is applied right at that time while the toon is buffed to 150%, those 150% become 100% and therefore should be reduced by 7%, resultig in 139.5% of the base stats.
    From a mathematical point speaking of course. Not saying though that you aren't right. You sure it works the way you described? Do you maybe have a link to the post where Tunso described it?
  14. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

The debuffs are usually worthless most of the time.

Up to T5.... only a few bosses are worth debuffing.

In T6 with the billion HPs that every adds have.... defence debuffs can help a bit. Especially if you have a DPS that barely burns as much as the Troll....... or if the DPS burns less then the Troll does...... then the debuff helps a bit to make up for the slow burn DPS. It does not make a HUGE difference.... but every little bit helps.

But most debuff also have other uses then just being debuffs.

I love using Singularity with my Quantum guy. I would use it even if it did not reduce ennemies' defences.
  15. TheDark Devoted Player

It's always reduced heals coming in my 25%. It's still working this way. Only counter role debuffs were removed.

Before it would remove PoT on your human target. That doesn't exist anymore. On healers, any offensive power used by a controller would always reduce resto by half. A lot of people got that confused with the healing debuff being responsible for that when they tested.

Because it reduces heals coming into a target and not heals coming out, there's no point in throwing a healing debuff on a paradox energy ball when fighting the tyrant.
    • Like x 2