Devs:Stat clamp to old content is quite obtuse

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AJPro, Feb 8, 2022.

1. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Nothing, I just play to play.
  2. PolarisSylar Committed Player

I remember leveling up , my lower characters, the only time we are mention of our other role .
    We hit level 10 then we receive a level CR ring through the mail ( tank/troll/heal , ring) saying oh yea there another role we can be
    • Like x 1
  3. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

You have a point there. As I said, it was an idea I had a while ago. And was just that, an idea lol. I do agree that having it later, closer to when they would be in content or even at 30 would be better anyways.
  4. the solowing Steadfast Player

Queue up
    steamroll raids
    collect effortless gear/feats
    ???
    Profit?

Right?
  5. the solowing Steadfast Player

• Like x 3
  6. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I’m glad you finally are agreeing with me
  7. the solowing Steadfast Player

What am i agreeing on?

What im saying is the guy who out-damaged you by leaps and bounds proved that day, stat bleed still allows you to show progression in a relative sense to the player, rather then a raid boss.

Asking to keep all your stats in outdated content is asking to return the problematic way of playing the game where the few can dictate the pace of content single-handedly for the many.

I dont understand how youre so aware and understanding of it in Final Fantasy 14 where even the quests are synced now. Up from instances/set piece instances/ and fates. But so absolutely against it here, but it serves the same purpose.
    • Like x 2
  8. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

If you build the world and then set rules inside that world, people will find enjoyment, or 'play,' inside that world in a myriad of different ways. If you think one way is better than the rest, you might be missing the point and unnecessarily limiting the amount of players in your world.

The perfectionists might seek an ideal build inside your world. The competitors may seek to outdo everyone they meet in the amount of damage they can do. The completists will focus on unlocking every headline, feat, and collection. The social player might spend all day in chat, never once queuing for a mission. Their will be broker players, money makers, name collectors, alt-aholics, and those just looking for an angle to exploit.

The world-builder can try and steer players in a certain direction, and they often do-- nudging us this way and that. But great care must be taken not to drastically change the rules of a world. The rules of the world provided consistancy and reinforce expectations. People make plans inside the world based on these expectations. Planning is the one thing each type of player inside your world must do to reach their individual goals.

The stat clamp was a major change inside this world. So major, in fact, it has many of us wondering, "What does it mean to play this game?"
  9. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

I never wrote I had a "right" (I assume you mean legal rights) to anything. I wrote earned which is linguistically and factually correct. I even predicted you going after my post and pivoting away from what I wrote with your usual "you don't own the game argument" which no one is making but you. Reread the post I covered you before you posted which is easy when you keep going after everyone with the same strawman. Maybe read the posts and actually respond to what the posts have in them instead of making up stuff. - Cheers

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  10. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Dude…don’t be so obtuse about it! :p
    • Like x 2
  11. BumblingB I got better.

But don't you think I'm acute one?
    • Like x 2
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Right...you're neither obtuse...or acute one.
  13. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

That acute answer. :)

I feel like this thread is a little too scalene for my equilateral taste in triangles.
    • Like x 1
  14. BumblingB I got better.

Man, you sound like a square!

Yeah, I'm more of a pyramid.
    • Like x 1
  15. PolarisSylar Committed Player

How a right angle ,90 degrees
    • Like x 1
  16. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Apparently it’s about an obtuse triangle.
  17. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I guess you forgot about reading comprehension when you signed the ToS. They can change anything aspect of the game as they fit. If tomorrow they decided to get rid of everyone’s stats than they can do it and all you”earned” is meaningless. Trying to talk down to others as if you have even the slightly clue of what you sign is laughable. You did not earn anything because none of it is yours. They can adjust the value of stats on gear. And you still would’ve “earned” the new stats on the. Changed gear. They can change the value of the stats related to SP and you still would only have “earned” the amount of sp they choose to place on said SP. you might have earned 500, 600, 700sp but they can reduce how much those SP get you. You could have earned the gear to be full 360 and they can lower the stats on them and you still would’ve only earned the gear. Stats are literally just a number used in a formula to determine damage and healing values in the game. They can lower all the values across the board for both bosses and players alike.

Heck, one day they can wake up and feel like seeing lots of flashy numbers and buff he numbers for players and bosses to where everyone it hitting numbers of 1mil per tick. You earned the gear and the amount of sp you have. You did not however earn the stats attached to those since they can change those values at will
    • Like x 1
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

To play. You're spending your time and money to play and interact with people and enjoy the experience. Like purchasing a ticket to a roller coaster ride: you get to have the ride, but you haven't purchases a part of the infrastructure.

But, no, you don't own any digital property created by Daybreak Games. You don't have any legal claim in the first place, and you particularly don't after you've signed a legal contract acknowledging a dozen times over that you have no such non-existent "rights." You didn't "obtain" any objects, digital or otherwise, from Daybreak and you signed a contract agreeing that that is the case. Those are just facts. (Ask any attorney to read the TOS and ask whether it's binding or not.)

But nothing has changed as regards gameplay because of legal issues. If you've enjoyed playing the game, continue to enjoy. If you want to stop, stop. It's all up to you. Personally, I think it would be a tad silly to quit playing because you discovered, years after the fact, that you haven't "obtained" any "rights" to digital non-objects, but it's certainly all up to you. Enjoy what works best for you. Really.

Bear in mind that every other game requiring connections to the internet functions exactly the same way, though. Play another game, you're still in the same legal position of not "owning" any digital assets. This is how internet games, with rare exceptions, function. Even if you buy a computer game on a disk, or inherit one, you still don't "own" any rights to the code. The copyright owner remains the legal owner of the programs on the disk, i.e., the game.

Similarly, you don't own digital, or any other, rights to any book you purchase. You're not purchasing the copyright to the program. Same thing regarding movies/television on DVD. You own the physical disk. You possess the disk with the program(s), but you haven't purchased ownership of the program; you've just purchased a disk. You can't legally copy the contents and reproduce said contents for other people.You can't sue the maker of the game (or book, or movie, or piece of music) for any issues you may have with the disk or its contents.

This is how copyright law works: it licenses use. But you're not purchasing the copyright when you buy an iteration of text or digital information (bits). Purchasing the actual copyright is an entirely different thing from purchasing a physical object. The former is legally controlled by copyright law; the latter are not.

None of this, by the way, is some sort of personal attack on you. It's just an attempt to explain to you how the relevant law regarding intellectual property functions. And that's all it is. Be well.
    • Like x 1
  19. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Not if clamping is optional, voted on by the members of the group.
    • Like x 2
  20. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Daybreak did not create my character, I did.
    • Like x 2