Detailed Mind Control powerset

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by WildPegasusrs, Jan 28, 2015.

1. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

Here is my take on one of the powers that several enemies in the game use (in various shapes or forms) but is missing as a power. The first thing that would come to mind is that this power is just like "Mental" but is it? There are many ways that it happens: can be meta such as pheromones, can be tech such as devices, can be mental, can be magical.

The two trees of Mind Control would be Hypnosis and Pheromones Control (or Domination):

[IMG]

[IMG]

Mind Control is obviously a controller powerset which has for originality to work in a similar way as Nature (due to pheromones) but for the Power mechanics. Several skills will induce a level of Obedience into the enemy (can be stacked up to a max of 4) that will allow them to be 1) controlled longer in Control Role and receive higher damage and 2) Give more power the deeper it is in its version of Power dumping. The four levels of Obedience are: Suggestible, Compliant, Subdued, Enslaved.
    For the sake of saving resources, all the skills and mechanics can already be found somehow in the game.

HYPNOSIS

Example of DC Iconics using it :

[IMG]
    Mad Hatter

[IMG]
    Pied Piper

PHEROMONES CONTROL / DOMINATION

Examples of DC Iconics using it:

[IMG]
    Queen Bee

[IMG]
    Poison Ivy
    • Like x 3
  2. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

HYPNOSIS

Trance
    [IMG]

Place your target in a very deep sleep only focusing on the sound of your voice; making them suggestible to your commands. Enemies near your target are stunned.

Power Interaction:
    Inflicts one stage of Obedience.
    Mesmerizes target and nearby enemies making them vulnerable to mesmerizing effects.
    Mesmerized enemies take additional damage.

Control Role:
    Restores Power to group members over time.

Damage Role:
    Increases all damage by 35% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds)

[IMG]

Monkey Trick
    [IMG]

Convince your foes they are nothing but dumb monkeys for a period of time determined by their stage of Obedience, damaging them.

Power Interaction:
    Enemies take additional damage when Mesmerized.
    Obedience levels lengthens the suggestion effects.

Damage Role:
    Increases all damage by 35% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds)

[IMG]

Head Bang
    [IMG]

Compels your enemies to dance for you until exhaustion draining their life force over time.

Power Interaction:
    Enemies take additional damage when Mesmerized.

Control Role:
    Reduces enemy's defenses.

Damage Role:

[IMG]

Freeze
    [IMG]

A simple word from your mouth is enough to paralyze your foes rendering them helpless. Requires your targets to be placed under Obedience for the paralyzing effect to occur.

Damage Role:

[IMG]

Self-Hypnosis
    [IMG]
    [Usable While Controlled]
    [35% Supercharge Cost]
    Place yourself in a state of self-hypnosis making you oblivious to pain, rapidly regenerates Health and protects against control effects for a short time.

Strife
    [IMG]

Fill your enemies' mind with insecurities, paranoia and aggressivity toward one another and incite them to tear one another apart.

Power Interaction:

Damage Role:
    Increases all damage by 40% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds)

[IMG]

Diminish
    [IMG]
    [Usable while Controlled]
    [50% Supercharge Cost]
    Convince your foe that s/he had never been anything beyond an ordinary person and never received any kind of power. Removes all skills and weapon use from your enemy's arsenal for a short period of time.

Post-Hypnotic Trigger
    [IMG]

Call forth a post-hypnotic trigger you left in the mind of your target that activates as soon as s/he attacks you reverting damage toward him/her and placing your enemy immediately back into the first stage of Obedience if not already in.
    Only works on target who had previously been in a state of Obedience.

Damage Role:
    Increases all damage by 40% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds)

Stunbrella
    [IMG]
    [Vulnerable to interrupt]
    Mesmerize your foes by spinning your hypno umbrella, damaging and stunning them.

Power interaction:
    Inflicts one stage of Obedience and Mesmerize.

Control Role:
    Reduces the target's damage output and removes Damage role buffs.

Damage Role:
    Increases all damage by 45% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds)

[IMG]

Puppeteer
    [IMG]
    Take full control of your target's body and turn it into your puppet of flesh and blood.

Control role:
    While directly controlling your target, you're leaving your own body exposed to any incoming damage.
    Requires Obedience and the enemy to be below 35% health.
    Duration of the possession is dependent on the Obedience level, at Obedience level 4 the possession is permanent until either the victim dies or the Controller releases the target.

Damage role:
    Forces your foe to put an end to his/her life if the enemy's Health is below 35%. Increases all damage by 50% until the hit counter resets.

Player vs Player:
    Finishing move. Forces your foe to put an end to his/her life if the enemy's Health is below 35%.

Hypnotic Devices
    [IMG]

Surround your enemies with a ring of hypnotic sound waves, rooting, stunning and damaging over time.

Power Interaction:
    Mesmerizes target and nearby enemies making them vulnerable to mesmerizing effects and spreading one stage of Obedience upon contact (only once per contact).

Control Role:
    Grounds the target and reduces their ability to heal.

Damage Role:
    Increases all damage by 50% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds).

[IMG]

Mass Hypnosis
    [IMG]
    Hypnotizes all enemies around inflicting a level of Obedience in every one of them. During the next 5 seconds, victims of Mass Hypnosis will all obey the commands from Monkey Trick, Head Bang and Freeze.

Power Interaction:
    Mesmerizes target and nearby enemies making them vulnerable to mesmerizing effects.

Damage role:
    Increases all damage by 50% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds).
    • Like x 2
  3. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

PHEROMONES CONTROL / DOMINATION

Serve Me
    [IMG]

Blow pheromones in your target's face that will numb his/her mind and make it hard to resist your will.

Power Interaction:
    Enthralls target making it vulnerable to enthralled effects.
    Enthralled enemies take additional damage.

Control Role:
    Restores Power to group members over time.

Damage Role:

[IMG]

Infatuation
    [IMG]
    Make your foes feel unconditional love and devotion toward you. They will attack relentlessly anyone daring touching you and will not strike back if you were to punish them. Channeling attack pulling your target toward you.

Power Interaction:
    Obedience level makes the effect last longer.

Controler Role:
    Reduces enemy's defense.

Damage Role:
    Increases all damage by 35% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds).

Player vs Player:
    Do not receive any damage for a few seconds while damaging the opponent.
    [IMG]

Hypno Pollen
    [IMG]

Release Pheromones that will compel your enemies to sink to their knees in front of you while damaging them.

Power Interaction:
    Inflicts one stage of Obedience

Damage Role:
    Increases all damage by 35% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds).

[IMG]

Dive Bomb
    [IMG]
    Throw several pheromones stingers at your enemies directly damaging their will to resist you.

Power Interaction:

Control Role:
    May causes Stunning.

Damage Role:

[IMG]

Convert
    [IMG]
    Make your enemies realize the righteousness of your cause or brainwash them into mindless slaves. Effects duration based on level of Obedience.
    Requires Obedience to work, else it only causes damage to the target's will.

Control Role:
    Up to three foes can be turned into your servants at once and fight for you. If another one is converted, the oldest one under your rule will be released from your control. If Summon Servants or Iconic Thralls are used, all Converted targets will be freed from your domination.

Damage Role:

Player vs Player:
    Reduces target's ability to heal and turn pets against their masters.

Impose Will
    [IMG]
    Release a cloud of mind numbing pheromones around you.

Power Interaction:

Control Role:
    Reduces the targets damage output and removes Damage role buffs.

Damage Role:

Claim
    [IMG]
    [35% Supercharge Cost]
    Your wish is everybody's command, even your group teammates'.

Power Interaction:
    Directly take some Power from the most filled Power bar of your group members for your own needs.

Release
    [IMG]
    Free your victims from your domination, removing all levels of Obedience and instantly revitalize your group's three most fatigued members, restoring Power. Also increase your Might and Precision for a short time.

Control Role:
    The higher the level of Obedience you invested in your victims the more power you'll give back to the most needy of your group members.
    Levels of Obedience are: Suggestible, Compliant, Subdued and Enslaved.

Summon Servants
    [IMG]
    Summon three allies or slaves to do your bidding. The Summoned Servants are chosen among the list of available enemies in the area, if none (Open World) Thugs will be chosen for Heroes and Civilians for Villains.

Power Interaction:
    Summoned Servants will fight for you for 40s.
    When summoned, it frees any victim from Convert and Removes Iconic Thralls.

[IMG]

Human Shield
    [IMG]
    Order your minions to protect you with their lives. Enemies are detaunted and compelled to seek other targets.

Power Interaction:
    If Convert, Summon Servants or Iconic Thralls is active, your enslaved victims will taunt any enemy attacking you and offer their lives to protect you.

Damage Prevention = 100% Dominance + 100% Restoration

Iconic Thralls
    [100% Supercharge]
    [IMG]

Call forth your proudest accomplishment, three enslaved Iconic Villains or Heroes to defend their master.

Power interaction:
    Buffs: +10% Critical Weapon Attack Chance, +15% Critical Weapon Attack Damage
    Summon 3 random Villains among a list (Lex Luthor, Bane, T.O. Morrow, Circe, Catwoman, Harley Quinn) if used by a Hero or 3 random Heroes among a list (Superman, Booster Gold, Robin, Wonder Woman, Power Girl, Supergirl) if used by a Villain.

[IMG]

Poison Honey Bomb
    [IMG]

Drop several bombs each filled with a heavy dose of hypno pheromones slowly breaking the will of your enemies.

Power Interaction:

Control Role:
    Stuns enemies.

Damage Role:

[IMG]

Thoughts ?
    • Like x 4
  4. Ghostof91 New Player

unfortunately mental is our only current mind control powerset, now there maybe future revamps for mental And hopefully the developers can take ideas from threads like these.
  5. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

I like the idea to be perfectly honest. Needs polishing but every fan created/suggested power does so I really have no complaints.

I really like the 4 stages of control though, very interesting concept. Puppeteer might be a bit OP though lol. It's kind of like once you hit 35% the match is over anyways since they are at your disposal until death or you use release.

Overall, really nice idea I like it.

I have a rough draft for a Shadow/Darkness Powerset designed for a tank in my signature if you want to look at that and let me know what you think.
    • Like x 1
  6. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

Beautiful, +1 for the effort and work you have done. This power set can actually make the cut. It also would only use a small amount of space of memory, like the next 3 powers. This is gonna be added to my list of requested powers.

Darkness/Shadows

Water/Aqualogy

Cybernetics

Gravity

Mind Control
    • Like x 1
  7. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

It's a possibility, though maybe by trying to stick to the description format of skills I didn't manage to express my idea fully. Moreover I notice that I forgot to add that "Puppeteer" is Vulnerable to Interrupt... Except not by the target itself.

Indeed, the way I see that skill is a bit like what Ino does in Naruto when taking the control of someone else (by entering her mind and body) her own body falls inert her mind being in her opponent's. In this case, the player wouldn't fall uncounscious but be absolutely focused on the control of his/her target, so much that the Hypnotist wouldn't be able to move or do anything with his/her own character (since s/he would actually direct at that point the controlled character, PVE only).

In this case, the "Vulnerable to Interrupt" would come from another player attacking the seemingly AFK Hypnotist thus breaking the control link between him/her and his/her target instantly forcing him/her to take control of his/her own character again.

Therefore, doing it in PVE instances would require to find a safe spot for the player to be sure not to break his/her mind control over the npc. As far as bosses are concerned, it would work just like for other Controllers facing bosses, maybe requiring an extra bit of Dominance for this skill to work. Though there's enough adds to make sure there's not a single safe place to merrily go afk during a boss battle.
    Nonetheless, if no one interrupts the hypnotist, it could be a fun way of doing solo instances (or other contents) by taking control of a trash mob and completing the mission with it (after waiting while out of combat, it healed from the 35% left of his Health).

As far as PVP goes, the same "Vulnerable to Interrupt" would happen. The "Commit Suicide" action of the last 35% wouldn't be instant thus leaving a chance for someone else to save the day for the controlled victim.
    I'd picture it with the choking emote happening on the victim, playing the choking animation 3 times with at the 3rd time resulting in the death/KO of the character (working as a finisher like the uber one of Supergirl in Legends). Or maybe causing damage over time until KO or until someone breaks that player free from the Hypnotist's control:
    [IMG]

Thanks! I may have put some subliminal mind control in my posts for that purpose! :p
  8. Derio 15000 Post Club

I am gonna be plain here and say well done. Not only did you create a new powerset, you reused animations already in game, thus making it easier for devs. Only a few questions that the community will come up with and I am sure you can answer them and they are:

1. What makes this power different from mental?

2. Is the primary color for this power pink or light purple?

Obviously you will have to elaborate on #1.
    • Like x 2
  9. Cable Committed Player

It's interesting, and well thought out. How it's different from mental is noted, and I see that, but it seems that mind control is rather an ability that multiple different powersets are capable of achieving more so than it is a powerset of it's own. To me it seems difficult to categorize as it's own thing.
  10. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

1) I would say it's as different as Fire, Ice and Earth yet they can all be labeled and grouped as Elemental Powers.
    I think the confusion mainly comes from the fact that Mind Control powers affect directly the minds of the victims (or more specifically their willpower), however they do not necessarily come from the mind of the power user. In contrast, Mental Powers in the game all come from the mind of the power user hence their name.

Indeed, both Illusion and Telekinesis are powers coming from the mind of the user and are grouped under Psionics. There are forms of Mind Control that do indeed belong in Psionics category such as Emma Frost's or Grodd's but there's also a wide range (the one listed above) that doesn't come from the mind or mental of the user.
    If Mind Control would be considered a mental power like Telekinesis and Illusion simply because it affects people's mind, then all the other skills would only be "physical powers" due to them affecting people's body.

To continue with the Elemental analogy, the intents of these powers are also different: Telekinesis you're using your mind to make objects or people levitate and use as weapon or damage them. Illusion, you're using your mind to confuse and terrify your enemies. With Mind Control you use either your mind, your innate meta ability (like pheromones or voices like mythological Sirens or glare) or devices (like Roulette) in order to enthrall and exert full domination on your enemies' actions even compelling them to do the dirty work for you and as Queen Bee keeps saying "crush their independence".

In terms of gameplay it would also be different with the fact that it would be the first Troll power to really make use of the summon mobs feature similar to that of Legends and Bosses and having a stacking system a bit similar to Nature.

2) I think either fuschia/reddish pink or light yellow would fit it. If I'm following the logic of my power trees, there are lots of pheromones/gas "clouds-like" in the second tree skills, if colored with a greenish hue it evokes Poison. Colored pink however evokes more some kind of seductive "gas" which is also the color used with Poison Ivy's pheromones or Jacob in the Gotham Wasteland arc. Light yellow/yellow could also work in reference to Queen Bee's pollen and would be different looking enough not to be mistaken with a Yellow Lantern Hard Light user.
    • Like x 1
  11. DivineSire Dedicated Player

Sounds tough....especially the supercharges!! The only things I dislike is the use of word pheromones because it sounds like nature and some of the other names like stunbrella, monkey trick and head bang hehehe and just poison bomb leave the honey part out hehehe
  12. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

Yeah that's true, it could be confusing and a synonym can always be found or an extra adjective added to differentiate them I suppose. For the name Stunbrella, Head Band and Honey Poison Bomb (and Hypno Pollen and Dive Bomb) I simply re-used the names of the skills that appeared in the Combat log when used by the npcs to make it easier to locate them if devs were to look for them.
    • Like x 1
  13. DivineSire Dedicated Player

No need to explain yourself bro......cool idea!! Now my issue is with devs for those horrid names hehehe
  14. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

Was thinking this powerset could also be a good opportunity to include Mad Hatter back into the game either through some content or as a legend character.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

His voice clips:
  15. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

Little bump now that Jessica Jones and Kilgrave are the superheroes FOTM. Any other suggestions to set it apart from the Telekinesis power even more?