"Destroy Nightwing/Robin=True" what language is that even?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by megamanzero, Sep 24, 2019.

1. megamanzero Loyal Player

What coding language would that be?
    Of the ones I'm familiar with that line wouldn't compile. I've only ever seen forward slash be used for comments or HTML tags.

Please let this be some language I just don't know.
  2. merrygoblin Well-Known Player

You don't give any context, but I'm assuming you saw that somehow in-game?

Some languages use the forward slash as a division operator, and 'destroy' is a C keyword for freeing up memory from a variable, but I don't think either of those things is what _that_ is. I don't think any line of code (in any normal programming language) would combine a memory management command and a numeric operator together like that. If it's a boolean condition, comparing the result of a numeric division (that would evaluate to a number) with a boolean (true or false) wouldn't make any sense. Could be two statements with the slash as a separator, but I don't know any languages that would use a slash like that. I don't recognise that as the syntax of an executable line in any programming language I know (and I've seen quite a few over the years - I'm a software engineer), or as a particularly likely syntax in any other (hypothetical) language.

If I had to guess, I'd say that's probably not code, but maybe a piece of output text a programmer left as a placeholder, probably intending to replace it with something more prosaic like 'An ally has fallen' or 'An ally is under attack' or something (guessing you maybe saw that in the Metal instance you do alongside Robin and Nightwing?), but which got forgotten somehow.
  3. megamanzero Loyal Player

Sorry lol
    I typed on my mobile. Yeah it's in the new metal alert.
    Damian aka little brat made fun of Nightwing saying the robots programming won't have that line of code
  4. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Since Robin isn't a real computer wizard he was saying how it looked on the screen. But what it probably said was...

Destroy (Nightwing) / (Robin) = True - or - Destroy "Nightwing" / "Robin" = True

This is the way I used to set up my Hypercards. :D
  5. megamanzero Loyal Player

What language is that? That make no sense to me
  6. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

robin babbles it to nightwing i believe
  7. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Hypertext, before HTML.