Delays and Blocks

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Magnificent, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Magnificent Loyal Player

One thing I've come to notice in the 1v1's (okay, I noticed it before but it's not as annoying when there's a whole group of you and them to keep your attention) is that what's happening on the screen doesn't always correspond to what the game is thinking is happening.

Example: I Block someone and my Explosive Block mod tosses them back. Seeing them flying I immediately start Focus Spin (since I use Staff) and let off a blast. While doing this, they get up and are starting to Lunge. My blast just went off so I Block just before they hit me, but I end up getting Lunge Blocked anyway. What gives?

I've noticed other instance of what looks like using a Power counts as the third hit needed to Block me (for instance, they block then I melee hit twice then fire off Enflame can end up in my being Blocked).

Can those a little more versed in the technical nuances than myself shed some light on this?
    • Like x 3
  2. Sektor New Player

I got this from the PC forums when I made a guide to PvP on the PS3 forums. Here you go.

"Blocking will counter a melee special attack instantly and will also counter any melee attack if you've hit them while blocking enough times. The counter caused by repeatedly hitting a blocking opponent with a melee attack works like a heat mechanic. It adds up to three in a row but it will be less than that if you haven't cooled down enough and start hitting a blocking opponent again right away.

If you are block countered and stand up again to instantly begin wailing on a still blocking opponent without cooling down so to speak, then yes. Down you will go. This will happen again and again until you stop doing that. It takes about two seconds to completely cool down after standing up again, after which it will take three full hits to get knocked down again." - Tunso

As for charging your staffs block breaker... I don't recommend doing that unless you want to continue to get knocked down. It's not a bug. Here's some helpful advice: if you charge your block breaker during immunity duration, you're going to have a bad time. Stop doing that. Blocking because your opponent is lunging is going to knock the blocker down if the blocker threw a block break before blocking, no matter what. I believe it takes 4 seconds for the vulnerable to interrupt goes away, although this is not always the case because of bugs. Sometimes it goes away in 1-2 seconds, but I believe the correct time is 3-4 seconds.
    • Like x 3
  3. Magnificent Loyal Player

4. Spidersting Committed Player

This happens because of Immunity. Ever since immunity was added to the game the counter system has been wacky. Using the same example as above when we didn't have immunity in the past it would result in a double knock down. Both players would eat a counter.

Because of immunity though you are immune to all things during that flashing stage. The game can only give immunity to one person so what ever counter is processed first is the person that gets immunity. Even though you blocked seeing the lunge coming the BB vul window was still there and the lunge wins on the counter thus giving the player immunity and making your block useless.

I see people praise the immunity stuff but i think it broke the game more then it helped due to the buggy counter system.
    • Like x 1
  5. Zizzi New Player

6. Karasawa Loyal Player

This is not true anymore. If you read the thread until the end you'll see they removed this mechanic --> http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc-old/posts/list.m?topic_id=52213
  7. renzhe New Player

Have you tried doing a minimum charged BB on your staff followed by either a power, or a melee tap?
  8. Magnificent Loyal Player

I finally gave up on even tapping ranged when they were down (using explosive block) and just Lunge them while they are down.

The timer thing makes sense. Tonight I was in a match where my opponent blocked, I hit BB, nothing happened then I tapped melee, then he lunged and I ate a big pile of Stun. Having timer windows on things like this is utterly ridiculous as is the whole "cooldown" aspect that turns my hitting a Power into the third melee hit that Stuns me.
  9. renzhe New Player

Well, firstly, doing a minimum charged Staff Focus Spin followed up by melee combos or using a power reduces the animation time that you are doing the spin, and lessens the time when you go into your melee power combo rotations. If the Staff Focus Spin counters their block, you are immediately following into your melee combo clipped with a power. Even if your opponent punishes your BB by lunging, if you had used a power directly after your BB, at least you are still damaging your opponent.

Weapons with charged BBs with a cast time (Staff, 1H and I think HB) can't be clipped to hide their animation ala Rifle/MA/Brawling/2H etc. So, other than the BB vul window, you are also more vulnerable because you are showing your opponent a BB, an opportunity to counter. So since you are performing a BB, never block after that. No point. Either a weapon attack or a power attack.
  10. Sektor New Player

11. Karasawa Loyal Player

I have tested it. Read the thread. I wouldn't have made a bug report, video, and got a direct developer response saying they'd remove the mechanic in GU 19 if I didn't know what I was talking about. It looks like you even got your quote from my thread.
  12. Sektor New Player

"Hey folks, stopping back to let you know I tweaked the behavior of this to act more like you are requesting. When you get knocked down from a block your melee-spam counter is reset, so it will act little kinder and more like you're expecting. Thanks for the feedback!
    Edit to add: This should be in for game update 19" - tunso

This does not mean it was removed. It means he fixed it to where it's working how it's supposed to on the request of others. This is still in the game and it's still NOT needed at ALL. The three hits should be reset immediately upon releasing block now that immunities are in the game. Also, he says that it is reset when you get blocked, this also does not happen. It is still broken, but broken or not, the cooldown portion of the mechanic is not needed.

Please, go read your own thread.

This is off topic, so let this be the last time I reply to this topic in this thread.
  13. Karasawa Loyal Player

I'm doing my best to try and understand your question. He's saying the spam counter in relation to the cooldown mechanic resets, not necessarily your actual hit counter. I'm just trying to provide updated information because I saw you quoted my post that got resolved months ago. Please try to not take it personally.
  14. renzhe New Player

There is the reset, but if your opponent is holding block, you get block countered, you get up (meantime your opponent holds block and has not let go of it yet), and tap melee and get block countered again. Not sure if it happens each and every time, just that I've still seen it occur at this moment in time.

Nowadays, a lot of people are doing tap blocking, so maybe the situation I've described doesn't occur as often.

As to the whole state of blocks, block-breakers and lunges (falling down due to a block counter and yet able to lunge people while in the falling animation, :rolleyes: when I'm being lunged and :D if I'm the one lunging), is the current state correct? No, not really.

But most of us are used to the behaviour and the timings of it. So if they make any changes as an update, even if its based on our suggestions, its either not going to be applied to all weapons, or its going to be applied to all weapons and then some people will QQ about their favourite weapon being changed and then there will be hotfixes and then pvpers will say hey, this change is wrong and doesn't make sense but then no changes will be made anytime soon because it will be a hotfix on top of a hotfix and so probably won't be applied unless its absolutely game-breaking.

And in any case, the first 2 things that should be focused on is solving the no damage taken bug and the block broken bug, cos those two things have been around for so long, and are absolutely infuriating.