Define the current powers

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Ghaladh, May 6, 2015.

1. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Since we have a long time to wait before the game goes back live, I would like to know your opinions regarding the various powers in the game, in a form of brief review. I think this thread might help beginners and old players to choose the powers they want for their new character. It might be interesting reading more points of view on the same power.
    Keep in mind that this is an opinion thread, so it's pretty pointless to comment "you are wrong". It's just an opinion.

Here are my opinions.

Fire
    DpS side is seriously lacking the damage output. While esthetically attractive, it's unimpressive for its numbers. A fire tank requires some skills to be used efficiently and it's hardly mastered by a tank player with a "turtle" game style. It's dynamic and fast, more based on juggling and self-healing rather than casting a power and blocking.

Gadgets
    Decent set for controlling, I don't like to use it due to the fact that it doesn't have a shield power; very inconvenient when you have to revive a fallen companion in the middle of a fight. Giving power to the team is a little easier, thanks to its pet, though. The damage AM and the power interactions give to the player the opportunity to personalize their game style and their loadout.

Ice
    Easy to use as both DpS and Tank. Considered by many as the perfect power for a beginner tank player it's a good power to use for your first character. One of the best DpS powers at the moment.

Mental
    I don't know this power enough to have an informed opinion. The fact that you can turn your foes into harmless pathetic ghosts it's pretty cool, though.

Nature
    Awesome for DpS if put in the right hands, great for healers due to it's ease of use. It offers a great range of possible tactics to choose for the damage role. You can transform yourself in a dog, a werewolf, an insectoid or a gorilla. Pretty fun.

Sorcery
    If you like using pets... I don't. Great for healing. This is probably one of the powers I find the least attractive.

Celestial
    It requires skills to be used properly. You need to learn combos, have good timing and consider carefully your positioning. One of the best DpS powers at the moment, although quite slow. Hard to use the AM running solo because you will get constantly interrupted. Visually stunning.

Earth
    I can only hope the updates will make this power viable again for DpS. Tanking is just meh. If you like using pets... which, I write it again, I don't. :)

Electricity
    Underrated. As a healer is easy to keep your group alive. Quick to use and visually stunning. Decent DpS power. Many people say it's as good as Nature, but I don't think so. Probably it's only me. The AM forces you to alternate the use of powers and WM.

Light
    Very good DpS, it offers a good range of tactics to choose. I hardly find good HL Controllers in my PuGging, probably because HL users tend to have a too much DpS-oriented mindset. The efficiency of the controller's power flow is compromised by the tendency of the players to use long chain combos.

Munitions
    Kudos to the devs for this devastating and fun to use power. In damage role, you will be walking the map spreading continuous destruction and death, easily mowing down mobs as you walk. Being a controller with this power is very fun. Great stuns, decent power flow. It misses a personal shield, but its wide range stuns make up for it.

Quantum
    In my opinion, the best controller's power out there. Great CC effects, visually pleasant (beside the shield... that's a graphic overkill) very quick and easy to clip. As DpS power is currently the best available. Although the rotation takes a relatively long time before delivering good damage and it's quite easily interrupted, it hits hard and mercilessly. The AM is extremely easy to use, even too much. It's no fun to use and very monotonous.

Rage
    Great power for both damage and tank, although the DpS side works efficiently only at melee distance, putting your character at risk. Rage Crash mechanic might kill your character if you are not careful. It requires practice. I don't like it esthetically, though.
    • Like x 7
  2. Supersnus New Player

Good stuff <3
  3. Erich Dank New Player

Gadget dps = Doo doo butter garbage
    Quantum dps = Op Doo Doo butter garbage
  4. AL Lonso New Player

Im going to pick my favourite powers to keep it short.

Fire - Tanking is heavily dependent on block but it keeps you on your feet. Dps.. OMG the worst in the game, I love this Power, I change my tank power for 2 weeks then go back fire again, but the dps is so off putting.

Sorcery - soul siphon and transmute in healer role, 'nuff said. Also a pet AM.

Earth - gemstone shield the best shield in the game, con: pet am. I've said this before and i'll say it again, pets should serve the player not the other way around.

Rage - boring tanking, not as boring as Ice but still boring. Dps is so underrated, melee'ing isn't as bad as people make it out to be, people just don't know when to melee.
    • Like x 1
  5. Pults Loyal Player

And the only one we have. With that said, the dps side is not that great, using power outside of those beneficial to pet is kind of useless and by useless I mean I can pull off better number just by using my WM. And I feel as if I am a controller and a healer at the same time, since the only thing I use my powers is in order to keep crystal alive and jamming.
  6. darkscarletx Loyal Player

I'm fire dps WM and fire tank since first day I played dcuo. I love fire.
  7. L T Devoted Player

Hi I'm L T and YOU ARE WRONG!!
    Why? Oh wait... actually, you're pretty much dead on across the board here.
    Mostly spot on. In my opinion Fire is still the least forgiving tank power, but it's much more about juggling and self-healing than it used to be. All tanks need to block a lot and Fire used to need to block more or less constantly. Now the self-heals give fire tanks a little breathing room.
    Distract is a shield, and Holographic Decoy is kinda-sorta-almost a shield (it's definitely one of the neatest powers in the game). Fire is the only power without a shield of any kind. The pet Supercharge is even more valuable now when running with Earth or Sorcery pet users.
    DPS-wise Ice is everything Fire could have been. Take the fun, mobile play style that Fire's AM started out with and throw in some options for really good damage. Probably the most forgiving Tank power, but I think in general calling Ice "Easy Mode" is unfair. DPS is easy with respect to Celestial, but hard with respect to Mental or Quantum. I would actually call it "balanced".
    Mental is like Quantum now. A little too easy to do crazy damage in my opinion. DPS has lots of CC while soloing. Controlling with Mental was fixed when Mass Levitation was made an instant power-- now it combines the obvious visuals and group shields of Quantum with the ability to set up common PIs of Gadgets.
    Dead on. x4 even. Nature's stun/encase move is OP for a non-controller and should be made Dominance-dependent.
    One of my favorite things the Developers have come up with is what they did for Earth and Sorcery pets. They really added in skill and flexibility to it. The only thing Negative I have to say about these powers is that DPS-wise they are too alike.
    Also Dead on. So dead on it needs it's own quote. I've tried to play Celestial and found it challenging to remember all the combos I wanted to string together. Way more complicated than other powers-- it's like having 12 powers on your bar.
    I personally hate munitions. I didn't like playing it on test, and I don't like the visuals now that it's on live. It DOES have a shield though (two if I remember correctly). Fire is the only power set without any sort of shield.
    Mostly dead on. I actually think Quantum is the weakest controller power. Its stuns are really pretty, and everyone can see them (making people think it's the best stunning power), but they lock things in place, annoying tanks everywhere. Also, Quantum is unable to help out other powers by inflicting burning, frostbite, crushing, or dazed.
  8. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

I saw a guy, I don't remember the name, using the fire tank in the most awesome way as a tank. He was quite power hungry, but he knew how to save power for the emergencies. He was a continuous blaze of flames, foes juggled and knocked out for most of the fight. It was very pleasant and entertaining to watch. A true master of the flame :). He changed my opinion about Fire tanking.

Problem is that leaves your character vulnerable to AoE damage, making it harder to revive. Distract is most an aggro-dropper rather than a shield.

I couldn't agree more. Fire should be mirrored with Ice.

I don't like pets because I feel like my character is there bringing the pets for a stroll and, while they do most of the job, you stand there and watch or assist them. I quote Al Lonso regarding Earth pet:
    Survival, like Distract and Quantum Tunneling, is an aggro dropper. It makes the foes attack someone else rather than you, but doesn't absorb any damage. The other shield you mention is the 50% supercharge team shield that returns power to the whole party, that every controller's power has. Being supercharge it's not readily available all the times, thus, while it's certainly included in a strategic use, it's mostly reserved for emergencies. Visually, munitions is pretty banal and not fun to watch, that's true.

Fair enough, you made a good point. However everything as a Quantum controller can be clipped and with the right weapon is extremely fast. What makes me say that Quantum is the best controller power is because of Quantum Tunneling, one of the most useful powers for a controller, and for its defense debuff, that group up foes in the same spot to be hit by AoE powers.
    Any stun blocks the target where it is, I think.
  9. AL Lonso New Player

Exactly, it should be the other way around. Gadgets' pets, if you think about it, serves the player, turret sets up pi's and drone gives power. Pet AM 's should be like that altogether. Source of damage would then come from the powers were given to earth and sorcery. Not from an Ai that is being a liability.
    • Like x 1