DC Comics - 5G

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by EconoKnight, Oct 11, 2019.

1. EconoKnight XIII Legion

So...DC about to age up the iconics into their 70’s and 80’s, and new characters taking their places:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/everything-we-know-about-dc-comics-5g/

Jon Kent the new Superman

Luke Fox the new Batman (with old Bruce his mentor ala Batman Beyond).

Supposed to all kick off next summer with a new Crisis, and the new characters settling in next fall.

Here’s more on the new official timeline shown in the background of the Didio photos:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/06/dc-comics-60-year-timeline-1999/
  2. AV Loyal Player

I like it. While we did get some great stories beyond 52, I always felt much of the general post 52 content was very awkward, directionless, something of a flailing rehash of old ideas, or driven by marketing or other almost anti-artistic business elements. Crisis on Two Earths -> Crisis on Multiple Earths -> Crisis on Infinite Earths -> Identity Crisis -> Countdown to Infinite Crisis -> Infinite Crisis -> 52 (I'll lump War of the Light and Blackest Night despite it following Final in here too as it feels so reverent to prior crises) was DC's culminary opus with 52 serving as the perfect epilogue to a damn good epic tale that spanned DC's history... the only thing it got wrong was how after that it was just like "ok we've reset the board and changed the backstories of everyone a bit to better suit our test panel results," and for me that really soured everything. Part of what makes DCUO great is that everything, even the New 52 and Metal stuff, is perpetually fed into an immediately-pre Identity Crisis universe, filtering out the garbage.

Long story short: G4 been rough af.
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

every time i try to type out a response i end up with like eight pages of text.

in a nutshell it just seems like another continuity changing company wide crossover until the next one.

i do think the concept is cool. its really not that new of an idea. on a somewhat smaller scale its basically what Earth 2 was all about in the silver age. A few other writers have picked up on the concept as well (Byrn and Morrison come to mind).

i long for the days of single issue stories...