Daybreak must be hard up for cash if they let people like this keep doing what they're doing...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Quantum Rising, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Not for nothing but the simplest of solutions would be to have the 'turn off language filter' not be an option. Make the filter permanent. Problem solved this way if someone tries to circumvent it, it makes it easier to ban them.
    • Like x 1
  2. RyderSM Well-Known Player

It's kind of funny to see the pc players come in and clutch at their pearls over things we've just gotten used to over the years. Delete trade chat and utilize the ignore feature. Beyond that you just need a thicker skin.
    • Like x 4
  3. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Yeah, I've never understood that. Usually, derogatory terms used to attack an ethnic group are phased out. Why people would want to continue to perpetuate the term, altered or otherwise, is inexplicable to me. My family has native roots, and my mom identifies very strongly with those ceremonies and beliefs. I don't hear her refer to her friends as the conquistadors did back in the 15th and 16th centuries.
  4. AponaxX Active Player

It's sad but it's how the people are these days, they have no respect and are rude asf.
    I'm all about for an in game GM, he don't even need to be every single day in game, once in a week is enough.
    I saw someone talking about to recruiting people for IS and that is for me to much.
  5. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Not true. As a former PS player, I used to play my Playstation with my lap top in front of me. It would take me just a few minutes to report someone.
  6. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

It's an ongoing argument. A segment of society who that word would be aimed at uses it as a term of endearment. Now, I know older black people hate that fact. The older people in the black community remember when that word was used incessantly against them in the most offensive ways and hate that the hip-hop culture embraces it in such a way. I'm an American of Italian decent and I don't go around using Italian slurs to my family and friends. If you don't want anyone to call you that name, don't use it yourself. It's that easy. Double standards can be a Rolling Stones song.
    • Like x 3
  7. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

It's the personification of John Gabriel's Internet <Buttwad> Theory.
  8. Veritasum Loyal Player

All true. But I simply do not use or look at the trade channel unless absolutely necessary. I have been known to leave instances where this kind of behavior/language is exhibited. I don't have a problem with cussing, I use it myself. But when it comes to insulting and belittle-ling people for whatever reason, I usually leave.

And a note on the "hard up for cash." There are a lot of f2p players that never spend a dime, so not everyone is invested in the game like most folks in here are.
  9. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Yeah. How dare us want people to be decent and respectful. Also, do you not see the irony of your post here? I bet you don't.
    • Like x 1
  10. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Which, I would bet, accounts for a majority of the offensive speech. Why care what you say if you get banned you don't lose anything?
    • Like x 1
  11. SSeid Committed Player

I have to say this thread is fascinating.

I understand the discomfort of people when they have insults directed at them, but this is entirely different. How can one consider himself sane and be offended by things that are not directed at them.

What if I find the word "group" offensive.. can I have the expectation that people who use it will be dealt with?? To put in context, lets say I was r*ped by a "group" of people. It makes no sense at all.

What people also forget is the origins of others. I am sorry to say but even to a well educated person from Europe or South America the N-word is meaningless. Obviously such a person is in possession of a filter but that does not change that the sequence of letters that make up the N-word have no meaning.

Even among Americans the use of that word is justified and perfectly ok if used by the people it once described, but if used by anyone else it becomes offensive. Double standards don't you agree?

If people personally insult you, you have every right and obligation to eliminate such an annoyance but that is the limit. Seeing random words from random people in an unknown context is nothing. Only someone extremely absentminded would be offended by such a vague thing.

In-game features exist to eliminate such problems. It is fairly easy to put someone on ignore. If your concern is that you will run out of people to play and that is your justification for not doing so then you are hypocrite.
    • Like x 2
  12. RyderSM Well-Known Player

Not all people are going to be what you want and no amount of "mods pls ban" every time you see a bad word is going to fix it. You just have to ignore it and move on.
    • Like x 1
  13. thedemonocus Loyal Player

well said and i agree 100%
  14. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I have stated this in many thread now and I will restate it once again. Remove any chat channel that is an issue for you as a player. Use the trade section in the forums to get your trades going.

On PS side the immaturity of players is high, very high. I have disabled all chat channels that are not needed to form groups or run content on the default tab. This will solve many problems.

Now forget the vulgarity of players in text chat, try the voice chat. The same issues you have presented for text chat in the game is also in instance voice chat. Especially in raids. With the focus of content around raids now, I hear it more than I like to regularly. That is one of the many reasons I play less and less. I feel more smaller content may help the game for mature players that simply want to play and not deal with immaturity and vulgarity of the player base.

The vulgarity runs not only in trade and shouts but at times it will hit LFG.
  15. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

In other games, all I have to do is right click the name of a player in recent chat, click report, click my reason for reporting (offensive language, for example), and I am done. This game requires me to do similar, and then I also have to
    1. go to a computer/tablet/smart phone/etc.,
    2. log into my Daybreak Games account,
    3. select the game I'm playing,
    4. type in the server I'm on,
    5. type in the character I was playing,
    6. provide the name of the person and the time at which I reported the player,
    7. and provide the reason for my report a second time.
    You don't think it's a bit silly that we have 7 more steps to report someone compared to other games that keep it straight forward?
    • Like x 9
  16. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I stopped reporting after my 1st one...You know why, said player was back on 2 days later and was harassing me...Even using ignore it did not work all that well, because he created new toons after new toons and continued the insults. I had to change my toons name and hope that worked. And it did.
  17. Sylo Committed Player

In all honesty if bigotry, racisim, sexist remarks etc, etc, offend you, then online gaming is probably not for you. I'm not justifying it, but it is easier to ignore rather than running to the dev's begging them to protect you from such harsh language.
    • Like x 2
  18. Harlequin Devoted Player

So you gave up and did not report him again. You do realize that that player would have been given stiffer and stiffer penalties until he was permabanned if you hadn't rolled over, right?

Not that I blame you. It's too much of a hassle to use DCUO's report "feature."
    • Like x 1
  19. LANTERN DEATHZARRO Active Player

I gotta admit as a PS player, I found the Trade Chat annoying due to the lack of respect, the 'famous' ´N' word.... Sometimes ppl are funny...but most of the time it's just too much....why the need to insult ppl for no reason??? Or post stupidities on Trade Chat?? Anyway, it's always been that way and I doubt it'll change....but I still have hope!
    • Like x 1
  20. Minnion Devoted Player

Their report feature really does need to be streamlined...
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.