CUSTOM POWER COLORS

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Night Rise7474, Feb 9, 2022.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Fully aware of the pitfalls that come with DC owning the license and having a say over things like that. But thinking that a player base would be reasonable about not being able to recolor power sets that have to be paid for when all other power sets (free to play AND the others that require a purchase or subscription) can be recolored just comes across as a bit naïve.

I already went through these kinds of headaches in SWG. Jedi was a point of contention for a LOT of players, initially because of their place at the top of the profession hierarchy at the time (Jedi had to be unlocked initially, so to reflect that Jedi was always going to be a bit better than all the other professions in the game). That resulted in more than a few accusations of favoritism by the devs.

Once the NGE hit, it was made into a starting profession and put on a more equal footing with all the other professions. Except that, despite many examples being given by players from various media, Jedi couldn't wear armor. Even cosmetically (they introduced an appearance tab for gear where you could be wearing armor but look like you were wearing just about any outfit). And when did the outcry, complaints and such end about Jedi being limited when every other profession in the game could wear just about everything? When Jedi were allowed to use armor.

Being treated the same as any other profession in the game was the only thing that stopped all the drama. Canon didn't matter to either the complainers about Jedi strength levels or those that wanted to use Clone Trooper armor on their glowbat wielder.

I'd easily say that Lanterns rate right up there with Jedi in terms of being iconic and distinctive aspects of their respective fictional universes. Giving Lantern players a disadvantage not applied to other players, even if it's just a cosmetic one, is just asking for a bunch of headaches.
  2. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Im not Panderus but... Green, red and yellow lanters could be able to change between different versions of their respective colors and get some revamped animations to compensate maybe, but they shouldnt hold back such customization because 2 powersets wont be able to fully change their colors.

Now trolling isnt really a issue, if people were to troll they'd do it in other ways. In the other hand you are right, if every color can be used by everyone we have a big giant mess. I dont think every power should have access to all the palletes, the ideal should be to sell color/animation bundles after they are properly tuned to not clip over common npc powers.
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

I actually have no issue with fear/will (yellow/green) being able to change colors through the spectrum, if its done properly and all the powers also reflect the color of choice - for example a pink train, although a pink train construct from a pseudo love lantern makes no sense, hey, who cares.

I do have a bit of an issue with rage, because it has specific powers that are blood related and from a quick google the blood always seems to be red (despite the fact not all rage lanterns are humanoid, could be pink blood right haha)

Being able to change rage to have say "green, blue, pink" blood vomit seems to be a bit nonsensical to me just from a purist perspective.

Perhaps the devs could change those powers with rage and make them something different, it wouldn't be the first time that's occurred.

The other issue is it seems a bit nonsensical to have say "green or pink ice" etc.

It isn't that I'm purposefully wanting to be a party pooper, it's just that there needs to in my opinion be limits otherwise it all just starts to look a little stupid :D
    • Like x 1
  4. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Oh so everyone just read the head green say that they could easily get the tech, and theres not much to learn… but they dont want to spend the time on it.. wow

Even if we only got 4 colors a year in like 4 years every power would be covered… why not just try.
    • Like x 1
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Instead of full player customisation wouldn't it be simpler for them to sell reskins packs?
    • Like x 1
  6. Gamma Lantern Committed Player

Lol this is a simplistic and borderline silly way of thinking.

Yes, in an ideal world all power sets should receive the option to customize their poweset’s colours but if DC/WB said the light and rage powersets can absolutely not have their colour’s tweaked then it doesn’t and shouldn’t mean the entire idea should be scrapped.

I don’t think any Red or Green Lantern player would be so petty as to want no one to customize their powerset’s colours just because DC/WB won’t allow the changing of two particularly iconic power sets due to canon issues.
    • Like x 1
  7. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

What he is saying Is that making the tech is a large endeavor and would divert resources for a month just to get it done.

Likely from a business standpoint the people who crunch the numbers won't see it as a worthwhile addition based on a variety of factors. People on the forums saying I'll buy it trust me is not really good enough for those kinds of people.
    • Like x 2
  8. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

He never said that. He said getting the tech (UI design and back-end engineering for the calls to apply the powerset colors) isnt the real issue with this, the issue is updating the powerset "materials" to allow customization. Depending on how they were designed applying another color could mean having to re-do the "materials" that are applied to our powersets. If the old tech isnt as bad as they think, it could be fast to implement the system, if its really bad, they have to re-do stuff from ground up.

When you do art stuff that is too hard to implement or needs specific patterns, applying a simple color change could mean turning it into a confusing mess. I dont have access to their files, but knowing DCUO is old and needed to run on the PS3, at least some of the powers very likely needed tricks to be implemented, that can cause the mentioned issues.
  9. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

This is something Id like better over full customization. I dont want to get into a raid and then there is a red water, a red sorcery, a red fire and rage overlapping their red AOEs. If the devs select the colors and/or new animations they will probably have better control over when to reduce opacity, effects and to prevent multiple powers from having the same colors.
  10. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

The lantern stuff will probably fall under WB shoulders, but who knows.

Fire, eletricity and quantum ( maybe gadgets) are the only powers I think can go over all colors without any issue, but even then you have the problem of stuff starting to get senseless or having too many animations of the same color going on and nobody knowing what is active. Then you have earth and nature that cant really change to anything.

Customizating stuff like this is great, it worked very well on Overwatch when they first implemented a tech like this, but the devs have to think if allowing people to spam giant pools of black, vision blocking stuff is great for a MMO that can have up to 200 people in a single place or if they should do the customization themselves and sell it to us
    • Like x 1
  11. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

PREACH.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...ew-no-2022-roadmap.320998/page-3#post-4484139
  12. FoolsFire Devoted Player

So you're saying it'll be done by the release of the PS5 client version?

HEY EVERYONE, HE CONFIRMED IT WILL BE....

[IMG]
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'll fully admit it's a simplistic way of thinking because, in this case, simplicity is the best way to go.

There's no good way of putting in restrictions/limitations of any kind without ticking someone off. Limit coloring to the launch/base game powers and subscribers/one-time power purchase players get ticked because they aren't getting any bang for their buck. Limit coloring to being a subscriber perk and free-to-play players ("Why can subscribers change Ice when I can't?!") and those that purchased powers ("I paid good money, why can't I do that with Electricity?!") get angry. And I just don't see Light and Rage players calmly accepting any "but it's canon and DC said so" arguments because my experiences in past games (and with this playerbase) tell me otherwise.

I've looked over this so many times in my head trying to find a workaround that will fit everyone, but there just isn't one. The best way I can see it working is the "all or nothing" approach. It's not done or put forward out of pettiness. It's the one option that I can see that is equally fair to all players.
  14. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I have to say I also don't think Light and Rage should be the deciding factor on whether or not this becomes a thing. Yes, it would suck if they were the two powers excluded, but we all know how protective DC have been over Lantern lore in the past. Perhaps in hindsight it would have been better not to create power sets directly tied to Lantern rings, instead just having a generic Light power like in some of the old Alpha footage of the game, that wasn't tied to any Lantern lore. But that's not how it happened and now we're here.

I don't agree with the all or nothing approach myself. All the other powersets are generic rather than tied to one specific type of lore, and they have been shown in various forms over the years such as Fire (the character) having green fire powers, various different forms of Sorcery etc.

If DC has loosened up their vice grip on the Lantern lore and would allow colour changes - yay! If not, I don't agree with it potentially meaning none of the other 13 power sets can get this feature.

What if DC gave the stipulation that colour change would be allowed, BUT the power set had to cut ties with Lantern lore? I.e. no more ring FX (which would please a lot of people) and no more Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps/Red Lantern symbol when you do that Martial Arts spinning punch thing.
    • Like x 1
  15. Kaegrin Well-Known Player

I take back everything I said now. This is vastly different than the responses we've received on the subject in the past. I'm happy to hear the thinking is quite different now.
  16. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I just dont understand why. dlcs are free now and i thought they said save the universe is gonna be a yearly thing. why cant they work that in during the stu... also i think people were talking about selling packs, not a shader. how would selling color change packs for 5-10 bucks a swap like how they do powers not make them money?

i digress a little bit, but i think the green just picked a random pointless thread to throw some words in because people were wondering if there was still a lead director. why this thread n not one of the ones talking about real stuff
  17. inferno Loyal Player

I was actually thinking of an idea where we use our SP into allowing us cosmetic changes, not only to our powers (in terms of animation, color, intensity, etc.) but also to our sidekicks, trinkets, and such. When it comes to gear styles, we have a vast amount of possible combination due to the number of choices we have and I would love to have those options when it comes to our powers, character animation and such.

We just surpassed 700 SP, some of our stats have gone over 100k and a couple are over 200k, how much more can this system maintain itself? Some powers can tick at 150k damage; remember when we were beginning to get 500k ticks of damage and they ended up doing combat balance that also adjusted our damage numbers?

How many of our top players with over 700 SP are ever reaching for that top SP just because it's there and not because it's vital to their character? When was the last time 1 SP or even 10 sp mattered?

If a color change will require a major overhaul than initially thought, Might as well go for the top and overhaul the whole thing.
  18. Gamma Lantern Committed Player

That’s your opinion man and you’re welcome to it but pretty sure the community can handle Light and Rage not receiving a customizable option since we’re not all little children lol. If this gave a competitive edge in the slightest then I would completely agree with you but can’t get on board with denying customizable colouring option for powers because a few spoiled children will complain lol

The type of people who would complain about this would just be complaining about a different issue if colour customization is given out for all power across the board because they’re happy being petty/negative and prefer to always be in a state of misery. Thankfully it’s only a small portion of players that have this selfish/negative attitude.

I haven’t seen a single user echo the sentiment of scrapping this idea entirely for the rest of the powersets if DC/WB don’t allow the lantern powers to have customizable colours due to being particularly iconic so I can’t say I think it’s a very popular opinion among the player base.
  19. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

....there might be an equation that may or may not be used, by the creative lead or president...
    payed time spent doing work does or does not = more subscribers

which to an extent is ironic after a game's launch because presumably all the devs spent all sorts of time (years) on projects that may or may not have been included in the released version of the game.

Is it a task to begin before or after the entire game gets a modular update? that may or may not be related to the Investment in graphics upgrade and the largest expansion content to datefor 2023

I too would greatly appreciate being able to change the color of Mental powers.
    [IMG]
  20. Grim931 Committed Player

Have to disagree with skill points going into anything cosmetic. That doesn't seem appropriate. To me, they should be used to unlock more powers or enhance/strengthen the ones we do have.

Not everyone has an abundance of skill points, and it really doesn't make sense considering the two are completely unrelated.