Crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by LIEUTENANT MARVEL, Oct 30, 2016.

1. LIEUTENANT MARVEL Well-Known Player

Dear DCUO/DC Comics fans,

Every now and then I worry about the future quality of DCEU/DC Animated Universe (especially the DC animated universe). Do you think we should crowdfund to ensure we can protect the creative teams from any possible amount of excessive pressure to make a blockbuster instead of a masterpiece that lasts forever? Since we funded, then we might have a hold on how the priorities are managed. I cannot see a crowdfunding website for DC comics/DC comic book movies & games on the internet right away. If you know one, please reply so I can try to support it or check if it is the kind of crowdfunding support I could be looking for. If there are any lawyers or finance experts here who love DC, please reply. Somehow, I think there might be fans interested in having a more substantial say in the creative process. Think about it. We might have strength in numbers to ensure we get a great DCEU/DC Animated Universe for generations.

Thanks.
  2. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

The amount of money these productions cost is probably beyond crowdfunding... If you want your voice to be heard, you have to do it with your wallet on the back end.
    • Like x 2
  3. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  4. LIEUTENANT MARVEL Well-Known Player

I guess you're right but if DC fans like us start to band together and start chipping in $1-$10 a month for over a decade or two, do you think we can turn ourselves into some sort of venture capital firm or non-profit organization that is more concerned with breaking even and creating masterpieces than earning? I just like to keep the conversation going. Maybe one of our spreadsheet experts here can enlighten us with some wacky projections for trivial purposes. Hehehe. :D
  5. LIEUTENANT MARVEL Well-Known Player

Your feedback is appreciated. Kindly elaborate. I am curious to see if this thread can turn into a DC-nomics 101 course. :D
  6. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

So how many people and how much money are you talking about? Who speaks for this group? Is there a hierarchy based on contributions? Who holds the money? What steps will this group take to "ensure we can protect the creative teams from any possible amount of excessive pressure to make a blockbuster instead of a masterpiece that lasts forever?"

Warner Brothers is unlikely to give an outside group any creative control of DC movies. That's not how this works. I'm sure you could give them a bunch of money and they'd put you or your product in a film - like Turkish Airlines. Or you could do what At&T is doing and just buy the entire company. Then you could have a say in creative decisions.

If you just want to give away money to someone who really needs it, give it to a charity.

https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities
    • Like x 2
  7. LIEUTENANT MARVEL Well-Known Player

Points taken. I will try to make a draft for trivial or entertainment purposes over the weekend. Feedback appreciated. I knew I shouldn't have rushed this post w/o a draft. Thanks.

P.S. I like charities too.
  8. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2107449480/the-letter-carrier

Here's a sample of a Kickstarter for a short 10minute film called The Letter Carrier from the actors of the Flash tv show. One thing you may have noticed that It's original material.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...acing-copyright-infringement-lawsuit-20151230
    You may also remember the Axanar "fan film" based on the Star Trek property that was sued by Paramount. At first it might seem like a big corporation picking on the little guy, but when you think about it they are not wrong. They have to protect their property, crowdfunding for "fan films" based on intellectually property that is owned by someone else are copyright infringements because it's attempting to illicit money based on their properties. And there is even less oversight, so there's no accounting for how the money is spent and this can taint the brand.

Did you know most movies at various stages of completeness get pre-screened by sample groups or internally for feedback? There's a recent story going around with how JJ Abrams asked a friend and fellow director Ava DuVernay for feedback on the Force Awakens based on early cuts of the film.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/st...ava-duvernay-jj-abrams-commentary-1201738691/

But usually most of the movie is done at that point, so there's only so much they can do with re-shoots and editing what they already have. It's the main reason why I don't think the DCEU should marry itself to one tone, and visual style for their movies. They are already doing the best they can to bring out the best product, some are just better at it than others.;)

Michael Bay isn't getting another dime from me.
  9. Davenport Committed Player

DC's animated movies are always good, I doubt you have to worry about that.
    If anything, you should fund so that they get some decent writers or something for their live action films. Yes, their live action movies make a lot of money, but it's mostly just because you can stick "Batman" or "Superman" on any piece of crap film and there will be huge lines to see it across the globe (or at least across the U.S.).
    • Like x 1
  10. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

I would like to start a go-fund me page to pay my yearly fee to play DCUO...
    • Like x 1
  11. LIEUTENANT MARVEL Well-Known Player

Nice comment. LMAO. Witty comments like these make me love this forum page some more. I will definitely try my best to make an amateur proposal or draft for trivial and entertainment purposes. :D
  12. LIEUTENANT MARVEL Well-Known Player

Hi People,

I gave the wrong title for this post. I apologize. My idea's intent is to protect creative teams from excessive pressure to earn instead of making a masterpiece. I thought the pressure is likely to come from the top. If the top, were more concerned about a sustainable company that makes masterpieces instead of too much earning and growing, then we could have more quality/continuity in the shows/movies. It turns out making a plan even for trivial and entertainment purposes was harder than I thought (I should go to business school one of these days.). Despite that, I have a long and vague road map now inspired by all those TV shows I saw about corporate America. Here is my wacky idea for trivial and entertainment purposes with links to references.

Step 1: Create a non profit arts organization.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not-for-profit_arts_organization

Step 2: Get donations thru a donation site or crowd funding.

Step 3: After all those decades where the nonprofit arts organization gets a few dollars each month from thousands of DC fans, the nonprofit arts organization buys DC comics and/or Warner Bros as subsidiaries from Time Warner or AT&T (or whoever owns them by that time) to protect the DC comics/animated/movie universes. DC and Warner are listed as subsidiaries of Time Warner on the web.

http://thefinancebase.com/can-nonprofit-organization-invest-stock-3625.html
    http://smallbusiness.chron.com/purchasing-subsidiary-company-80401.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Time_Warner_subsidiaries

I wish I knew how to at least make projections but you get the drift. Sorry if I am trying to sound like a know-it-all when I'm no expert. The cancellation of Young Justice/Justice League Unlimited and the difference of the quality between BvS and BvS Ultimate Edition has been a source of concern for me as a fan. Any feedback would be nice and even the sarcastic ones would be appreciated. If anyone or any group decides to do something similar to this and it could protect our superhero movies/shows/comics then post here. I encourage you. I could become a regular donor.

P.S. Charities are important. This idea does not intend to make an organization that would compete with charities but it would be nice if fans had a place to drop a dollar every now and then to help ensure those tragic cancellations or cuts don't happen so much.

Go DC/DCUO! :D