Crazy idea time: Stance switching without armories

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Minnion, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Minnion Devoted Player

Okay, I don't know how this works on the Playstations, but on PC when not in combat we can switch between our damage and support load-out by pressing T... So this is where the crazy idea, what if we could use that while in combat?(Note that this does not alter skillpoints or power point allow-cations, or swap out your gear...)

What do you guys think?
  2. Swiftduck Loyal Player

what would be the point of this?

If you are in damage role with damage gear and skill points specced into damage traits, what good is pressing T in combat going to do for you?

You will turn into a healer that can't heal, a troll that can't return power and a tank that can't hold aggro.

How would this be useful?
    • Like x 2
  3. metalfenix Committed Player

This wasn't useful, even before armories come up. It was a pain to wait while someone in the raid/alert had to re-allocate SP and PP and switch equipment to change roles.
    • Like x 1
  4. Kzinti Committed Player

And it could be bad if someone hits the T by mistake
  5. Derio 15000 Post Club

Considering on PS you have to hit up on the d pad and then hit x to change role. I support this idea.
  6. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Okay while what you are saying is true it has limit. You click on "T" out of combat and switch from say Troll to DPS. The only thing that changed was your load out. You are still wearing the exact same armor so unless you now go into inventory and physically switch from your TROLL gear with the applicable mods to enhance Vit a Dom to your DPS gear with mod to enhance Might, Precision or maybe Power you have really not done a whole lot. Also your skill points are still set up to enhance the stats you need as a troll not a DPS.

ALL of these things are possible with armories. I maintain 2 complete sets of armor for my alts with mods slotted that help with what ever that role needs the mots be in Vit and Dom (Trolls), Might or Precision(DPS), Resto (Healer) or Health (Tank). I have done complete respecs on those alts so in many cases the same powers aren't even selected for a Tank as a DPS and of course my skill points are set to enhance those areas THAT role needs the most.

It takes a little doing to set up properly but with 2 armories set up right you can quickly switch from one role to the other and help your team. As Swiftduck points out just clicking T doesn't really accomplish anything and you wind up trying to HEAL when everything else but your load out is geared to Damage.
  7. Minnion Devoted Player

Pretty sure crappy PoT/HoT is better than no PoT, and there would be nothing stopping your from switching back to DPS after casting it...

As for being a "Tank that can't hold aggro", that really depends entirely on how much Dom you have... and your mods most likely.. (Pretty sure there are Precision and Dom mods that you could craft into your DPS gear, and nothings stopping you from putting some of your SP into Dom even on your DPS build)

Your argument of course is looking at it from the PoV of someone who mains DPS, is it not?

And of course your argument is assuming that nobody would play with their builds in an attempt to find a build that is decent in either stance if such stance switching was allowed... That there would be no viable "Generalist" builds...
  8. Minnion Devoted Player

Uh... This isn't about relocating SP and PP, this is about using the build you have in either stance for a bit more flexibility to decide what stance to be in while in the middle of a fight... Like maybe you want to use some stuns or Debuffs to soften up your opponents, Swap to troll stance, toss out some Debuffs, maybe use that pull to grab that enemy that slipped away from the bunch, swap back to DPS and then spam your AM... Not necessarily having the optimal load-out or gear equipped to be the best at both roles would still remain as incentive to buy an armory...
  9. Backseid Devoted Player

Well, now we know the old Dom/Aggro myth is still alive n kickin!

SMH

(no offense you two ;) )
  10. Backseid Devoted Player

Just swapping to your other Role wouldn't do anything though. The Heals would be negligible at best. Stuns wouldn't work at all. And yes, you would get aggro (just being in Tank stance automatically pulls aggro when using powers), but with no health you would die instantly.

This is a bad idea, born from someone too cheap to buy a second armory. Don't get sucked into the hype! Lol
  11. Minnion Devoted Player

True, and I've done that before and gotten stuck in combat... If only I could hit T again and switch back. (With my Idea implemented there would be nothing stopping you from hitting T again to fix the mistake of hitting it by accident, provided that the mistake hasn't gotten you and your team killed by the time you realize "Oops I hit T"...)
  12. Minnion Devoted Player

??? Can we get some clarification on that? I thought the way Dom worked was as long as you had at least the minimum amount suggested for the content that you would still be able to grab and hold aggro when you used your powers... Is that not how it works?
  13. Minnion Devoted Player

I'm two cheep to buy a second armory? Huh... I thought having purchased a total of three so far would prove otherwise.

I thought Stuns were aslo based on Dom... And again you're looking at this from the PoV of someone who mains DPS...
  14. Backseid Devoted Player

I meant the OP, not you :)

Dom effects stuns and pulls yes. Aggro is obtained by just being in Tank stance and casting any powers (like every 12 seconds or something like that).
  15. metalfenix Committed Player

Changing to healer stance using the old method with dps gear and SP allocation of a dps is a waste. Maybe you can consider on troll's case, and even then, do you really think that you can stun, or have a semi-useful power tick/return wearing dps gear and having a dps SP allocation? I don't think so.
  16. Minnion Devoted Player

Right then... Maybe I should start a new thread suggesting my craziest idea yet: An instruction manual that explains the basics of what the different classes do, what all the stats do and how they work. How the UI works as well as a rundown of what all of the commands are, for both keyboard/mouse and Controller...
    • Like x 1
  17. Backseid Devoted Player

That should be a sticky at the top of this forum ;)
    • Like x 1
  18. Minnion Devoted Player

Would be more useful than no power tic/return at all... As for a question for you: Do you think a DPS with Troll/Healer/Tank gear and SP allocation set up for their "support" stance would not gain a useful increase in damage potential while still being able to jump back to support stance the moment they're needed?
  19. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I think it dilutes a key feature of a great marketplace product. One of the perks of owning an additional armoury is the ability to switch role in combat. Giving this feature away for free dilutes the perks of it.

You're also opening yourself up to new forms of cheese by enabling players to switch and then switch back. I'm aware that you're basically just asking for "Switch Role" in combat when assessing this concept, too and still feel the same way.

A "No" from me, I'm afraid.
    • Like x 1
  20. metalfenix Committed Player

No. Because you lose the might/precision stats of the dps gear (wich the support gear lacks) and also loses the crits from the SP allocation. It would be a mediocre dps at best, even doing the AM.

Gotta admit that would be useful if a support role wouldn't be needed on an instance. But come on, you won't be doing that on a duo unless the other have a severe CR advantage over you.