Controller/Healer Debuff Testing

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Tesseract Prime, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Tesseract Prime Dedicated Player

Cross-posting from old forum for reference.

I finally got around to doing some testing that I'd been meaning to do for the Learning to Control thread. I was somewhat surprised by some of the results - I hadn't come across the information on the forums, so I thought I'd post it up.

Test 1: How much effect does the healing debuff have?
    50% Resto. (It's possible that it debuffs crit effects, but this wasn't tested.)

Test 2: How much effect does the controller vs healer healing debuff have?
    50% Resto. (It's possible that it debuffs crit effects, but this wasn't tested.)

Test 3: What controller powers inflict the healing debuff?
    All of them that directly damage the opponent - not weapon buffs, but any move regardless of if it is a powerset move or a movement mode move (including Word of Power).

Test 4: How often is the debuff inflicted with standard controller powers?
    Every single time, out of at least 40 attempts with various abilities.

Test 5: If your power hits more than one healer, do they both get the debuff?
    No, the first one to be hit with the power gets the debuff. (Note there were one or two odd things that happened whilst testing this, but nothing that could be replicated.)

Test 6: Why did the debuff symbol just disappear a few seconds after I cast it?
    This is the important one. Whilst testing, the debuff symbol disappeared moments after being applied. It was discovered that this was because the healer cast a HoT power on himself. The HoT power normally gives him a green shield. Green Shield (HoT) + Red Shield (debuff) balances to displaying nothing.
    Note that the healer reported he was still suffering the 50% resto reduction, and also regaining health from his HoTs. These effects did not cancel. The display for them simply cancelled.
    This explains some of the problems reported by controllers trying to get the healing debuff to 'stick' - it really doesn't look like it does. We waste our power trying to reapply a debuff that is already in effect but we can't see it and have absolutely no way of knowing it's there.

TL;DR We need an update to the buff/debuff UI, and we need it yesterday.

Notes: thanks to Ivy Bird and Oman for guinea pig duties.
    Forgot to test: If a power hits a healer and a non-healer power type, is the debuff applied.
    EDIT: forgot one of the tests.
    EDIT: More testing! Isn't testing fun? The sign up for Aperture Laboratories Volunteer Testers is coming soon.

Test 7: Are there any differences in the amounts healed by whilst under RPS debuff compared with Healing debuff?
    Yes. A healer attempting to heal themselves whilst under the healing debuff was scoring lower numbers than when under RPS debuff. Healing debuff: 350 ish. RPS debuff: 450 ish. Again, the Resto of the healer remains the same regardless.
    Potential causes of this as discussed were healing debuff removing 65% bonus healing from healer role and strange effect listed under current effects ("25 healing recieved - Ray (+15s)").

Test 8: Does the healing debuff remove 65% bonus from healer role?
    Probably not, although more extensive numbers are required. Testing in DPS role revealed the same discrepancy between healing debuff and RPS debuff - there is no 65% bonus to remove, so if this was the case they should be the same.

Test 9: What does "25 healing recieved - Ray (+15s)" mean, anyway?
    It seems to mean "-25% healing recieved". Possibly with a duration of 15seconds, although this was not tested.
    A healer attempted to heal a person under the effects of the healing debuff noted a distinct drop in healing out (reduced from 500 ish to 300 ish).
    Result: the healing debuff applies a Resto debuff of 50%, and a healing recieved debuff of 25%.

Test 10: Does this work on everyone, or just healers? What about PVE?
    This effect works on everyone who is capable of being debuffed by controllers - but tanks with their immunity to being debuffed are immune to it.
    This remains untested in PVE, however if it is true then Brainiac in PBG just got a little bit easier.
    • Like x 3
  2. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

Yeah, the entire ninja changes to debuffs last summer were pretty much then shoved under the carpet, or filed under "working as intended"...

I'd love for them to overhaul the DeBuFF System/Mechanics,

...and also think the MAINFRAME could have used more Tactical Mods relating to Debuffs and Control Effects.
    It seems like when they decided to think of Controller Mods it was pretty much -- 'Power Back this, Power back that' , besides "weakening field".
    i think adding something to do with Debuffs or CC efffects to one of the other slots would be great.

PS: Tonight i was in a few Lair Battles vs Sorcery healers and i was wondering to myself if Watchers could be effected by the healing debuff as well. o_O
  3. PaperGirl New Player

The Debuff UI needs to change yeah , and nice post .
  4. Radium Devoted Player

Could you check out the Healer/Tank Class DPS debuff as well?

People refuse to believe that they aren't getting debuffed while it's up.
    Another reason why the UI should be updated me thinks.
  5. Tesseract Prime Dedicated Player

What debuff exactly are you talking about? Healers being able to debuff tank-powersets when those powersets are playing as DPS?
  6. Tesseract Prime Dedicated Player

They certainly get the red heart icon, but if this debuffs their healing out, healing in or both is unclear.
  7. Radium Devoted Player

Exactly, no effect except for shield stripping while in DPS stance. What looks like a debuff isn't a debuff at all.
  8. Karmapolice Well-Known Player

Thanks for testing all this out, great information! The game really does seem to go out of its way to make itself confusing sometimes.
    A complete buff/debuff bar revamp would be really nice
  9. Sylar-Man New Player

Yea but you have to apply it to them directly. The watcher doesn't get debuffed when the healer is debuffed.
  10. Ace1 Dedicated Player

I knew this would get out eventually :(
  11. Potent New Player

I thought the Healer Role Debuff was an additional 7% defense Reduction to counter the higher base defense on the gear as well....
  12. Radium Devoted Player

Nah, for a Healer vs Tank DPS all they gain is the confidence boost. When you see the debuff symbol as a DPS it just means you won't have a Defense/Health/Damage Absorption boost you usually get when popping a power.

No change in stats at all.
  13. shiny mackerel Committed Player

SHHH gdi, they weren't supposed to know that :(
  14. Yallander Loyal Player

Lol...people still don't know this? We were running tests pre-Mega Servers. It is a graphical glitch that happens because two icons cannot inhabit the same space. I would like if they would split the icon and show a full heart/shield if you are debuffed and then 1/2 a heart if something like hivemind or another resto increasing item is used.

On the flip side it has driving many a troller crazy and caused them to spam their debuffs and burn themselves out of power so it's not all bad! :p
  15. Ace1 Dedicated Player

:( shhhhhhhh
  16. Jerick New Player

I thought everyone know this already
    I thought everyone know this already
  17. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

Between serums, cleanses and the overall weakness of debuffs and their apparent visibility issues, debuffing was never too viable at any point in pvp. Except for 1's.
  18. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

Debuffs clearly being so forgettable, this information was all hush hush.