Combat Log Analyser

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by shiny mackerel, Mar 22, 2014.

1. shiny mackerel Committed Player

http://spark.rstudio.com/mezz/dcuo/

This is a tool that parses your combat log and displays potentially useful plots and tables. It's web based so you need a modern browser like Chrome/Firefox/Safari. It's entirely focused on the combat aspects of your log so no item drops, feats, etc. If you wanna see that stuff though, ClassicFumbles still keeps his parser updated here.

Your combat log is usually stored at somewhere like ...\Documents\My Games\DC Universe Online\Logs\combat.log. The intended use is on single instances of combat like raids, alerts, or PvP matches, so it won't be practical to upload your entire combat log. Just rename the file to save your old log and start up a new one, or cut out the relevant snippets of combat and paste it to a text file or the parser. If you're on PS, well... you could still load up the example logs and see what you're missing out =).

You're only able to see as much as what's recorded in your combat log, but if you have logs from other points of view you can upload and merge the logs. While the output is pretty simple right now, there's still some interesting stuff you won't find on the scoreboard like how much you absorb from counter immunities, how many times you countered someone, how often you got a double tick from PoT, the rate of power you're receiving from controllers, damage dealt per second in combat, and more. I've been stuck on what to do with this for a while so any ideas on what to show are welcome. And also of course any bug reports.
    • Like x 19
  2. Harlequin Devoted Player

Holy crap, a parser. I'm really curious to try this out.

-sniff- Imagine, a real DPS meter just like a real MMO. Our little game is growing up!
  3. myandria Item Storage

Hmm... I can say with certainty this is something I would not use. If I am playing my role effectively, I do not need any counters, tables or parsers to tell me so.:D I don't like that silly table that pops up at the end of missions as it is, :rolleyes: however, to each his/her own.
  4. TheChromeKnight Well-Known Player

I don't care for the in-game scoreboard, but in other games, I've learned the value of using a parser.
    Even if I'm good at my role, there is always room for improvement. Programs like these can really help one find their flaws and become more efficient. I look forward to checking out the OP's parsing tool when I get home :D
  5. Lucaefor New Player

Awesome, pity I can't use it but thanks for alerting us all to this, which should prove immensely useful for in field testing :)
  6. BeastFla New Player

Awesome feature, I have been using that for a while now.
    even tho you mentioned some stuff that are missing, its still a great site/tool.
    Great Job.
  7. MolleaFauss Active Player

Very nice, but...
    You know that with the latest browser enhancements you don't need to upload the file anymore? You may parse it via javascript directly on the client (FilereaderAPI it's called).
    Wrote myself a small parser (kept it to myself as I didn't bother to polish it much) entirely browser based.
    If you need some ideas, just drop me a line.
  8. AlwaysFumbles Well-Known Player

Very impressive. I just loaded the dps data into excel and manipulated it there but here you do all that work for me plus controller specifics. It's a shame they didn't add the ability to export combat log to USB when they ported to PS4.
  9. Ava1Spade New Player

Just had a talk with the boss today about how cellphones have made a generation of people dumber than they should be. We let the electronics do the thinking for us. Back in our day, the warning was, "use the calculator only for when you need it, or it will make you dumb". Well now those calculators are in cellphones, right alongside calendars, planners, event reminders, and all kinds of accessories and apps that will do the thinking for you. There's no need to memorize phone numbers, just press or speak someone's name into your cellphone. Need to calculate the tip on a restaurant bill? No worries, use the "tip calculator". More advanced than a regular calculator, it only calculates tips, but it remembers the rule of thumb "tip = 15%" for you. Someday soon there will be a generation of people that don't even remember they are looking for 15% because the electronic device is remembering that for them.

Point being, I find that doing my own analysis works out better for me in the long run.

But +1 with thanks.

Hey... They should make an app for that.
  10. The dark knight New Player

I was unable to use your parser due to my file being too big to upload - what exactly is the filesize restriction? (My log is 250mb)

Therefore I tried one of the other one that you mentioned. Pretty interesting facts, although the other parser seems to mess up some data (or it is already corrupted in the log), like friends who definitely are NOT fire, being displayed as fire users.^^

I also saw that only data from the last 6 months is stored in the combat log. Is this common?
  11. Remander Steadfast Player

Did you actually develop this? I just noticed the link in your sig. Have been messing with this, and it's very good.
  12. light FX Steadfast Player

Yea ive been using this for about a month now. Its great :)
  13. light FX Steadfast Player

So why so quick to dismiss something? Ever think u could use it to test out certain loadouts and see the dmg certain powers are doing and if its worth it to use them. I used it to compare #s in TD runs with and w/out WM. I know the roles i play very well and uses this,it can be used for many different things that the scorecard doesnt show. Especially since the dummies in dcuo that most use for testing are not good at all.
    • Like x 1
  14. TheLoneLantern New Player

10 Mb i believe. You should delete your combat log before starting something you want to test.
  15. Remander Steadfast Player

Yeah, it can also help you test out optimal gear setups for your build/rotation. Great tool.
  16. TheLoneLantern New Player

Exactly. I had suggested long ago that the scorecard have an additional page that split your damage totals into might-based and prec-based. This analyzer is a step better than that.
    • Like x 2
  17. Remander Steadfast Player

Shiny, in case you didn't already know, the parser can miss damage data in some cases. Crimson Mayhem pointed out that, in the combat log, some attacks appear as the target attacking itself or others, when it's actually damage from your ability. This is the case for auras and some other attacks. I had to go back and manually reassign the damage from Electrogenesis and some instances of Voltaic Bolt in order to square the analysis. Not sure if there's a way to adjust the parser to recognize that.
  18. shiny mackerel Committed Player

Yeah there are quite a few of these moves that cause problems. Auras, chain attacks, shields, and other odd stuff. As a quick fix, I made it automatically detect when Electrogenesis, Voltaic Bolt, Arc Lightning, or Harvest was used with only one elec user or only one nature user in the log. So if it's obvious that there's only one elec/nature character, the damage from those moves should be properly attributed. But any more than one like in a multiple PoV log or pvp match, it'll be a lot trickier. Try it now and tell me if there are any issues.
    • Like x 3
  19. Remander Steadfast Player

Works perfectly! That's awesome, Shiny. Will make testing much easier going forward. Thanks!
  20. ACW37162 Loyal Player

Save a lot of effort, until the change WM the a amazed will tell you 60 - 80 % of your damage comes from weapon mastery combos.